Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O2 Contract Ending on my iPhone, Considering 3 any advice please

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I would avoid joining 3 at all costs

Definitely this! Carphone Warehouse won't even deal with 3. Try Googling customer complaints and 9 out of 10 are with 3. They suck you in and when you want out at the end of the contract, they make it so difficult for you, they'll be calling you every day and they won't leave you alone. I cancelled my contract after 18 months and they pestered the hell out of me so much that in the end, I agreed to one extra month at a cut price ... just to get them off my back! I didn't use the phone at all in that month, yet they continued to bill me. I ignored those bills, and now they've handed the 'debt' of £11.76 over to a debt collecting agency who are threatening me with legal action over a debt that I don't acknowledge, as far as I'm concerned, I'm fully paid up and I don't owe them a penny....... they can take it out of the £60 'cash back' they offered me when they cold called me at the beginning .... which I never saw a penny of, neither did I see the free bluetooth headset that they promised as a 'sweetener' to sway me into making a decision in their favour. They're the only network that make their phones impossible to unlock, so even when you're not tied to a contract with them anymore, you're left with a phone that's only any good as a paperweight, unless you go on PAYG with 3. The whole network stinks and I'll never go anywhere near them again!

D

Deleted member 18477

Nice deal. I take it that's once you had the phone paid off? Wife got a 3Gs for £18.50 a month. I'm £10.50 a month no contract with simplicity (Nokia smartphone).

Yea I had the phone on an 18 month contract. About 35 quid a month. Then when that finished I kept the phone and took out a simplicity. Had the simplicity for a year now. So had the 3GS for 2 and a half years. Still going strong and fairly up to date due to apples frequent software updates!

I'll probably purchase the new iPhone when that's released (iPhone 5) and do the same with that if I can. Might even buy it sim free if it works out cheaper to keep the simplicity I have. Need to do the calculations. Just gotta make sure you look after the phone. Although I do have insurance through my bank.

I went from Vodafone to Orange / T Mobile and they are an absolute nightmare. I am a high user and I am stuck in this contract for another 12 months. The problem is their signal. They claim to have more masts than anyone else in the UK since the two companies joined together but as far as signal goes (I am out by Hove Park) they are hopeless. Both my wife and daughter stayed on Vodafone and their signal is fine.

Even the free sat nav they offer doesn't work. I was seduced by the offer of a free ipod touch to move over. Go to the review sites if you have any doubts as to the potential signal you will get....

Consumer Reviews, Product Ratings, Compare Best Prices | Review Centre - you will find a lot of unhappy people.

Was with orange up until last week, had awful signal in both of my student houses, in the current one you could only get a signal upstairs! Offer they made when my contract came up for tenewal for what I wanted wasn't good so went to Vodafone and have had no problems at all!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I changed from 3 to o2 last year because the o2 signal seems to be stronger in Bexhill than 3, especially in the Cooden area.

My daughter is with Vodaphone and her signal seems to be ok in this area as well.

Jerryatric

Jul 18, 2003
Worthing
I have Tesco Mobile (O2 network):

£12.50 pm
12 month contract
500 mins
5000 texts
1gb Internet
Free btopenzone
Brilliant uk customer service

Fantastic!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Giffgaff - £10 a month with unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 mins of calls (although giffgaff to giffgaff mins are free).

O2 coverage etc for a fraction of the cost.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My wife had 3, worked well in the phone shop, just knackered once you stepped outside the shop, but that was 3 years ago

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've been with 3 for nearly 8 yrs now. Signal was a bit hit and miss in the early days, excellent now, the only places I really struggle for signal is the Amex (but I think most networks suffer there) .

Haven't tried leaving them yet so can't comment on customer services and never had any problems either.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Giffgaff - £10 a month with unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 mins of calls (although giffgaff to giffgaff mins are free).

O2 coverage etc for a fraction of the cost.

That is brilliant and just the sort of thing I am looking for, I have never heard of giffgaff though, are they a reputable company???

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Which magazine said O2 was best for value and service.

I am with 3, in a good area which is the main point although service is shit/Bombay english spoken. You need to check what sort of reception companies have in your area but you shouldn't have to pay over £15 a month minus add-ons.

giffgaff really appeals but O2 reception isn't good here and worse in other places I go.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
That is brilliant and just the sort of thing I am looking for, I have never heard of giffgaff though, are they a reputable company???

One of my friends at college swears by them, only heard of them myself a couple of weeks ago, mind.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm nearing the end of a iphone 2 year contract with Tesco/O2, and up here in London is the reception is shoddy. One of the countries main service providers, in the capital city, and has huge number of drop out points; incredible..

Even bought my own booster and aerial to get reception in my own house..tsk.. back to T-Mobile/Orange i guess.. and sell the booster too..!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yep - they are, effectively, a division of O2.

If you can afford to splash the cash for an iPhone up front it is the best and cheapest way to own. The phone is yours from day 1 meaning you can sell it whenever you like - such as when the next iPhone comes along.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Yep - they are, effectively, a division of O2.

If you can afford to splash the cash for an iPhone up front it is the best and cheapest way to own. The phone is yours from day 1 meaning you can sell it whenever you like - such as when the next iPhone comes along.

I assume that when my 24 month iPhone 4 contract runs out in a few months the phone is mine, so I could put a Giffgaff card in there? Or would it not be unlocked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here