Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - TV Licenses

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The BBC want to shove the price up more.

License

Personally I think it was time the license was scrapped and the BBC be allowed to advertise.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Sorry have to disagree, I like the BBC not having adverts, also Ithink compared to what NTL costs me a month the BBC still represents good value for money !!. What I DONT like about the BBC is they seem to have their own laws for insisting that everybody pays for it regardless of if they watch their programming or not !!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
REDLAND said:
Sorry have to disagree, I like the BBC not having adverts, also Ithink compared to what NTL costs me a month the BBC still represents good value for money !!. What I DONT like about the BBC is they seem to have their own laws for insisting that everybody pays for it regardless of if they watch their programming or not !!

That's true actually but I get a whole lot more that I do out of the BBC, I barely watch the BBC at all these days and I'd say that I watch ITV and especially Channel Four far more too. I just object to paying the BBC and not having the choice when they serve up so many dire productions.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
agreed, while its great not having adverts there should be a way of opting out if you don't want BBC channels, don't suppose there is a way of regulating this though.

Seeing a sI pay almost 50 quid a month for SKy and then an extra almost tenner for BBC thats almost 60 quid a month just to watch TV or in relaity just to watch sky sports and E4 for the missus.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The reason that BBC are going to put the licence fee up is that its going to be them that is responsible for getting everybody digital by 2012, not the government. That means they will have to spend millions on getting all the grannies to have a digibox.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think the licence fee is awesome value for money, if only to watch tv without advertising. I hate wacthing some C4 and Sky shows have 20 minutes of adverts for 40 minutes of tv. :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I think the licence fee is awesome value for money, if only to watch tv without advertising. I hate wacthing some C4 and Sky shows have 20 minutes of adverts for 40 minutes of tv. :angry:

I agree. The BBC, for all its faults, is one of the best things about Britain. Quality programming (on the whole) and no ads.

And is it my imagination or are ad breaks getting longer?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does the license fee cover the cost of producing local, national & international radio shows, as well as its fantastic website.

If so, it represents brilliant value for money, IMO.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is about time the BBC improved their local transmission service. analogue TV reception is poor through an aerial in parts of Adur, Shoreham and Lancing and sometimes no picture is possible without a high gain aerial, and it is not very good even with that.

Not very good value for money if you can't get a proper picture.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Have a pensioner live at your home address, then you are entitled to a free TV licence. It's cheaper to feed and clothe a pensioner than it is to pay for a TV licence. I have one that I can sustain for less than £200 a year, and he comes in useful for all sorts of scams.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
HampshireSeagulls said:
Have a pensioner live at your home address, then you are entitled to a free TV licence. It's cheaper to feed and clothe a pensioner than it is to pay for a TV licence. I have one that I can sustain for less than £200 a year, and he comes in useful for all sorts of scams.

Yes but they tend to make the place smell, mine did. Mind you I should have buried him I suppose.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
bhaexpress said:
Yes but they tend to make the place smell, mine did. Mind you I should have buried him I suppose.

You need to get a catheterised one, and if you write to Pampers and tell them you are a new mum, they will send you free nappies!

Sorted!

Even the dead ones are handy - stick them in a chair in the front garden, even the cats won't come near, and it keeps the pikeys away as well. Bonus!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
HampshireSeagulls said:
Even the dead ones are handy - stick them in a chair in the front garden, even the cats won't come near, and it keeps the pikeys away as well. Bonus!

Maybe but they're rotten companions.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The TV licence allows you to own devices that receive TV pictures, irrespective of whether you watch the BBC or not, it just so happens that the government choose to use the revenues from the licence fee to fund the BBC, they could use it for paying for the NHS if they wanted.

I wouldn't worry to much about the headline figures, this is just the opening gambit in the negotiations.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Hatterlovesbrighton said:

err... scuse me, but have you watched the crap put out by the BBC between programs....I'd rather watch the Ads on the commercial channels .:nono:

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
I'm with Sigull on this. The fuckers spend a load of our licence fee paying for ADVERTS for their own programmes/channels/radio stations and even advertising the fact that they don't advertise. They're are obsessed with ratings and spend loads on money on commercial main stream programming (like paying graham norton millions or showing the national lottery and spinning it out for hours with pointless shit).

Also, anyone who puts on celebrity spelling should have their right to broadcast removed instantly.

The "brilliant website" has literally hundreds of millions pumped into it each year from our licence fee yet is free to those without a licence fee to use. Stick advertising on that and it'd pay for itself easily.

Having said all that though I agree with the licence fee in principle but it should be about half the price and far less concenered with commercial celebrity shit.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
BBC. Excellent value for my £10 per month.

SKY £45 per month and its only for the footy. There is f*** all else one apart from American rubbish and 'reality' tv shows. Poor value.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
For my fee I personally use:

BBC TV 1, 2, 3, 4 & news24

BBC Radio 1, 2, 4, 5, 5extra, 6 & 7

Excellent BBC websites

Local reporting on TV and radio.

Great value for money IMHO

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Simster said:
Does the license fee cover the cost of producing local, national & international radio shows, as well as its fantastic website.

If so, it represents brilliant value for money, IMO.

Yes it does and yes it is brilliant value for money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here