Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - TV Licenses

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think the BBC is one of the best things about British TV, but this rise is a step too far.

I know a few people who work for them, and the amount of money wasted on administrators and unecessary production staff is vast.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I think the licence fee is awesome value for money, if only to watch tv without advertising. I hate wacthing some C4 and Sky shows have 20 minutes of adverts for 40 minutes of tv. :angry:

The TV watchdog stipulates that a MAXIMUM of 12 minutes is allowed in each given hour & doesn't have to be in four 3 minute segments.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The TV liscense does nothing but annoy the students on our campus - for each room that we use the tv, we have to buy a seperate tv liscense.

At the moment, there are 3000 freshers - they must make a f***ing fortune out of us!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I met a guy who used to work on RAF Nimrods

He swore that if you bought a B&W licence you would score twice over:

1) They only costs a few quid and the licensing authority don't check you out if you are on their register as having a licence

2) The TV detector vans can detect what channel you are watching, BUT can't detect whether it is on a B&W set of a colour one

Mind you ... with digital Britain only a few years away, it's hardly worth it!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
The TV liscense does nothing but annoy the students on our campus - for each room that we use the tv, we have to buy a seperate tv liscense.

At the moment, there are 3000 freshers - they must make a f***ing fortune out of us!

You shouldn't have time to watch TV anyway, you be either studying or getting pissed :angry:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
ben andrews' girlfriend said:

They catch loads of people out like that - anyone that lives in provided accommodation tends to think that they won't be bothered to come in and check - they will! They have a right to enter any premises to see that a TV is not being used at a premises for which there is no licence in issue. Highly embarassing, as historically we have always argued "one establishment, one licence", but our guys are being fined now - the TV people turn up with three days notice, and sweep everything.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
HampshireSeagulls said:
They catch loads of people out like that - anyone that lives in provided accommodation tends to think that they won't be bothered to come in and check - they will! They have a right to enter any premises to see that a TV is not being used at a premises for which there is no licence in issue. Highly embarassing, as historically we have always argued "one establishment, one licence", but our guys are being fined now - the TV people turn up with three days notice, and sweep everything.

Yes but here I could be wrong but my understanding is that hotels only pay for one license depste the number of rooms with TVs they have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here