Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Thomson Airlines have ruined my summer holiday

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cannot say for sure I have not seen the paperwork, but as seagullsovergrimsby has said, it is very likely that it would state in the terms and conditions that they cannot be held liable for any consequential losses in the event of any alteration/cancellation of flights.

CAB would be able to clarify this.

from thomson t&c's

Terms and Conditions

9.2 CANCELLATION, REROUTING, DELAYS, ETC.

9.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of travel without additional charge.

Might be worth making them do some leg work to see if they can get the OP there and back in a reasonable time frame.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would Thomson have not been held liable as it effectively toppled the house of cards?

What about holiday insurance, would that be liable?

I agree though that a visit to CAB or similar would be a good step.
Why does there always have to be an apportionment of blame when things go tits up ? The small print in the contract will have it all sewn up so that they are not deemed liable. Life is all about blunders , mistakes and cock ups and we get over and learn from them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
from thomson t&c's

Terms and Conditions

9.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of travel without additional charge.

Might be worth making them do some leg work to see if they can get the OP there and back in a reasonable time frame.

Wait for the airline to come up with the trip over the mountains by donkey ? :ohmy:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
9.2.1 We will take all necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage. In the exercise of these measures and in order to prevent a flight cancellation, in exceptional circumstances we may arrange for a flight to be operated on our behalf by an alternative carrier and/or aircraft.

9.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Convention or the applicable law including, without limitation, EU Regulation 261/2004, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or cease to operate a route, we shall, at our option, either:

9.2.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or

9.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of travel without additional charge. If the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower than you have paid, we shall refund the difference; or

9.2.2.3 make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 10.2.

9.2.3 Upon the occurrence of any of the events set out in Article 9.2.2, except as otherwise provided by the Convention, the options outlined in Article 9.2.2.1 through 9.2.2.3 are the sole and exclusive remedies available to you and we shall have no further liability to you.

They have offered a refund as per 9.2.2.3 (which is one of the options they can give) and 9.2.3 says they shall have no further liability. :(

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why does there always have to be an apportionment of blame when things go tits up ? The small print in the contract will have it all sewn up so that they are not deemed liable. Life is all about blunders , mistakes and cock ups and we get over and learn from them.

But they have a duty to make sure the person gets to their destination within a reasonable time frame, that is in the contract. If they can't fulfil that duty then surely consequential losses can be claimed. Although they will try and fob the average punter off with a refund.

On a package, they would be liable for every bit of the holiday

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Would Thomson have not been held liable as it effectively toppled the house of cards?

What about holiday insurance, would that be liable?

I agree though that a visit to CAB or similar would be a good step.

Act of god insurance wise, not claimable.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry but why should the airline be responsible when you have only booked a flight with them. Its the risk you take when you use charter airlines for flights only.

If you were going to a football match and the train was cancelled meaning you can't get to the match, you wouldnt get the cost of the football ticket back again you would just get the train fare back.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Sorry but why should the airline be responsible when you have only booked a flight with them. Its the risk you take when you use charter airlines for flights only.

If you were going to a football match and the train was cancelled meaning you can't get to the match, you wouldnt get the cost of the football ticket back again you would just get the train fare back.

Nail on head.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not on the day we had booked to go.

Why don't you post your dates on here and see what NSC can do for you? For example, ebookers.com has about half a dozen different airlines going from London (chose random dates 1/8 - 8/8) with one change of flight. Pasted them below, not very well, but you get the idea...

Montenegro Airlines

Jat Airways

Austrian Airlines

Multiple Airlines

Malev Hungarian Airlines

Adria Airways

Non-stop
£227.40
One or more stops
£790.30 £244.27 £343.77 £345.17 £423.66 £716.97

Link is here:

http://www.ebookers.com/shop/airsearch

Last edited:

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
It is sadly the problem when booking independently that you take the risk of these things happening. 1 comment I have though is that as you only booked flights with Thomson, it isn't the ABTA bond in play, but the ATOL

I would suggest you

a) ask villa owner if you can move your dates to fit the alternative travel option offered
b) do as suggested above and post your dates on here so someone in the know can maybe find you an alternative you hadn't considered
c) Go into a travel agent (preferably a TUI one) and tell them the problem and ask them to help you sort out travel
d) don't panic until all options have been covered

I can understand your reasons, but you are focusing on the negatives and not seeing any positives yet. I recommend you save your energy and use it to find a solution. Now is not the time to be despondent, save that for when you REALLY can't go!

Chin up chuck!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
????

You do realise we are not talking about volcano ash, don't you!

Agreed, otherwise he could have sued God, ie the church.

Thought that was quite funny having the Billy Connolly film on a few days ago.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
from thomson t&c's

Terms and Conditions

They have said there is nothing else they can (or will) do other than fly us to Croatia on another day.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

When you book and pay for a flight with an airline you have entered into a contract. If they then CHOOSE to cancel this contract because they don't want to fly to that destination any more, they have broken the contract. They took the decision on financial grounds, they should accept responsibility for any loss suffered by their customers.

To follow your logic, you should never plan to do anything based on travel tickets you have bought, since they are essentually worthless in terms of being honoured.

Last edited:

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Why don't you post your dates on here and see what NSC can do for you? For example, ebookers.com has about half a dozen different airlines going from London (chose random dates 1/8 - 8/8) with one change of flight. Pasted them below, not very well, but you get the idea...

Montenegro Airlines

Jat Airways

Austrian Airlines

Multiple Airlines

Malev Hungarian Airlines

Adria Airways

Non-stop
£227.40
One or more stops
£790.30 £244.27 £343.77 £345.17 £423.66 £716.97

Link is here:

http://www.ebookers.com/shop/airsearch

Thank you for this. It's good of you to go to so much trouble. We've looked at some of those one or more stops-they involve a 12hr+ trip in most cases. We really don't want to be on flights for that long. The costs of most are also three or four times higher (although you've found some good prices there too).

I'll have another look at these.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Have you seen if Owners Direct can sort you an alternative villa in Croatia? They might be willing to try, even if it involves shuffling your money from one of their clients to another for a small fee...

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I can understand your reasons, but you are focusing on the negatives and not seeing any positives yet. I recommend you save your energy and use it to find a solution. Now is not the time to be despondent, save that for when you REALLY can't go!

Chin up chuck!

Yes, fair comment. We have been trying pretty hard to find a solution, and I'm still doing that (and I appreciate suggestions made on here).

However, I really do want you guys to know about Thomson. It seems to me a flight ticket with them is essentially worthless in terms of guarantee. There are 565 other passengers who have been let down, and I woudn't want anyone else to be put in the same situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here