Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Tenancy agreement, slight breach...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Landlord probably won't care if you're keeping the place in a decent condition. The no pets clause is often a standard thing on tenancy agreements and I'm sure he is much happier having paying tenants there than squatters. It's also really hard to evict tenants, both legally and physically, and he's not going to want to go through that hassle.

It says no animals if the original post is accurate. I expect I could argue that a Cat is not a Pet but an itinerant sponger.

It says no animals if the original post is accurate. I expect I could argue that a Cat is not a Pet but an itinerant sponger.

Pets

Passive smoking is another recurring problem, aggravated by the fact that fur animals groom themselves, which means taking in extra harmful substances that have landed on their fur, not just those inhaled.

Pet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Common Household Pet Law & Legal Definition (USA)

According to 24 CFR 5.306 (Title 24 - Housing And Urban Development; Subtitle A - Office Of The Secretary, Department Of Housing And Urban Development; Part 5 -General HUD Program Requirements; Waivers; Subpart C - Pet Ownership For The Elderly Or Persons With Disabilities; General Requirements), common household pet means:

(1) “For purposes of Housing programs: A domesticated animal, such as a dog, cat, bird, rodent (including a rabbit), fish, or turtle, that is traditionally kept in the home for pleasure rather than for commercial purposes. Common household pet does not include reptiles (except turtles). If this definition conflicts with any applicable State or local law or regulation defining the pets that may be owned or kept in dwelling accommodations, the State or local law or regulation shall apply. This definition shall not include animals that are used to assist persons with disabilities.

(2) For purposes of Public Housing programs: PHAs may define the term “common household pet” under § 5.318.”

Common Household Pet Law Legal Definition

I have known landlords (mine) object about plastic turtles, bicycles, garden ponds, hedges that are not topiary to his liking, rowing boats, visitors with heels after dark ..... etc.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Tell him its a stray you made the mistake of feeding one time in the garden & it keeps coming back lol

this has happened to me and I don't particularly like cats, neither does my landlord but what can you do, bloody thing

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I'd suggest that whilst it's probably unlikely that it'll be much of an issue, he'll likely be within his right to ask that you arrange and pay for the house to be professionally cleaned when you leave - with carpets being shampooed and any damage paid for/replaced etc. The problem is more for any future tenants that might have an allergy to cat hair/dander, and possibly any smell that might put someone off renting the place. When I bought my house, the previous owner had a cat and - even though they cleaned the place - there was cat hair EVERYWHERE.. particularly the high surfaces, on top of cupboards etc and even in the knobs on the gas hob. As someone who does have an allergy, this was a bit of a pain in the arse to then have to clean properly.

Fortunately, I did survive to tell the tale.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The decider for me is if the cat has outside access. ie Toilet. If he has it should not be too much of a problem if he doesn't then the whole room will soon start to smell and you will face quite a cleaning bill.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
this has happened to me and I don't particularly like cats, neither does my landlord but what can you do, bloody thing

Happened to me. I let the moggy in once when it was snowing, and after I accidentally spilled the prawns, then as soon as I opened the door it rushed up the stairs. Then when I wanted to get it out, it would hide behind the furniture.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I can't believe he is 1901, and you've put this on here, of all places.

You say he owns a few properties so it won't be an issue. How many properties does he own that;

A) Used to have squatters,
B) Have a 24yo full time tenant
C) Has two other tenants, in full time employment
D) A 24yo tenant he has talked to about the Albion briefly

And then the icing on the cake...

Extreme though, isn't it? All for the sake of a cat?

You are risking your flat, deposit, future references, etc. all "for the sake of a cat". You naive f***ing idiot.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Nope, 24 and working full time. Rent been paid on time by all of us, we've never really spoken with our landlord because we've not had any cause to, and he's not got in touch with us because he's not had any need to either. I have spoken to him a few times in passing, always about the Albion, and he seems a nice enough guy who just wants a quiet life. He's got 3 sound tenants, all full time employed with a stable company and he knows he won't ever have a problem getting the rent, or any problem with us as tenants.
As a landlord I'd say contact him to ask 'what if I wanted to get a cat?'. If the place is rented through a letting agent they'll most likely ask you to sign a 'pet clause' which allows you to keep the cat but also states that you should pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned when you leave. The tenant in my house moved in without pets and a few months later asked if she could keep a cat. I was OK with it as - seemingly like your landlord - she paid on time and gave me no hassle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are risking your flat, deposit, future references, etc. all "for the sake of a cat". You naive f***ing idiot.

I think this is extreme. From what I can gather from this thread, the tenants are responsible in all ways with respect to the property and paying the rent. If a landlord has cited no pets in his contract and the tenant goes to him to explain the situation I will be highly surprised if he throws anyone out. You might have to agree to some extra conditions and maybe put more into the deposit but highly unlikely I think.

At the end of the day all the landlord really wants is the rent paid on time, the property returned in the same condition less wear and tear and no issues with you. This will win out over any minor breaches of contract. The alternative is a possible court case, then the search for another set of tenants as well behaved as the current ones. No brainer really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a landlord I'd say contact him to ask 'what if I wanted to get a cat?'. If the place is rented through a letting agent they'll most likely ask you to sign a 'pet clause' which allows you to keep the cat but also states that you should pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned when you leave. The tenant in my house moved in without pets and a few months later asked if she could keep a cat. I was OK with it as - seemingly like your landlord - she paid on time and gave me no hassle.

I'm a landlord as well, I second this.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The extremities of the internet nicely summed up a few posts up. Pathetic.

Thank you to [MENTION=362]Spiros[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] in particular for your input, but the cat in question couldn't settle here and didn't like one of my housemates. He's gone back home, he won't be staying here anyway. Which is very disappointing, but probably a good thing in context.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The extremities of the internet nicely summed up a few posts up. Pathetic.

Thank you to [MENTION=362]Spiros[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] in particular for your input, but the cat in question couldn't settle here and didn't like one of my housemates. He's gone back home, he won't be staying here anyway. Which is very disappointing, but probably a good thing in context.

I heard Laddies have staff vacancies, can't he get a job there ?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The landlord might put a grenade through your letterbox. And when you go out to get the cat food, he might knock down your flat and build a bigger hovel.

Nicholas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here