Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Tenancy agreement, slight breach...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When you move out he will withhold your deposit , to pay for redecoration and relacement of carpets that stink of cats piss.He will then take you for the balance if the deposit does not cover the costs.:D

this.

you might like kitty, and im sure your's doesnt piss in the house and always hits the litter, but not all cats behave. he doesnt know which you have. added to this, some people are alergic to cat hair, he'll have to remove all the carpets even if they dont smell just in case, or restrict the market he can let to. the clause isnt there for giggles assume it will be enforced, he sounds like a professional landlord rather than a chap letting while away/living elsewhere and just using the agency default contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are two potential issues here. 1) if it's a leasehold flat there may well be a clause preventing pets 2) the tenancy agreement is technically in breach.

Both are surmountable but there is the risk you could be asked to move on. If there is a clause in the leasehold you will need to get permission from the freeholder as well as permission from the leaseholder/landlord.

Good luck.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
If cat shit/pee isn't cleaned immediately, it will permanantly stain the carpet. Being sick on the carpet isn't great either, but personally I normally make it to the toilet (but I am a pro at throwing up). It depends if it's a nice place or not. If you are young and live in shit holes, maybe you won't understand.

Lol cheers for that mate I'm not palace fan.
I'm 32 not so young i cant make it to the bog to spew but I have 5 children & all I'm saying is accidents can happen.

You seem a bit of a pro when it comes to piss stains as well as being sick mate, well done

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
I work for an inventory company, we deal with landlord disputes a lot.

The landlord will have the right to have carpets proffessionally cleaned and then replaced if that doesnt work to get any smells out.

Include in that any fabrics that may hold the smell - curtains, sofas etc.

But they do have to clean it all first to see if that works.

Anything it scratches (bottom of the stairs???- mine are ruined thanks to my cat) will have to be replaced at full cost to the tenant.

THis is what they have the right to, but several private landlords dont always bother- they include it in the wear and tear and just get it fixed in the general clean up at the end of your tenancy.
This may be unlikely if all your stuff is new.

Good luck anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When you move out he will withhold your deposit , to pay for redecoration and relacement of carpets that stink of cats piss.He will then take you for the balance if the deposit does not cover the costs.:D

If you leave the flat as you received it less "wear-and-tear" consistent with the tenancy duration there should be no charge. Clean it, fumigate it and the landlord should not charge you.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Animal Definition:
A creature or living thing, other than human, being able to move of its own accord.
Animal Definition

Comment: it does seem that a Cat is one these.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You seem a bit of a pro when it comes to piss stains as well as being sick mate, well done
Throwing up is a personal specialty. Cleaning up after animals something I've tried and failed at. And I've been a landlord for 13 years, and no pets allowed. Plenty of my own though (double standards).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How old are you ????????? Young, stupid or both?

Currently you appear to be in breach of your tenancy agreement, which means you have no leg to stand on if the landlord insists on enforcing it to the letter.

You created the problem. It is not the fault of the cat. Sort yourself out.

The cat will not foul indoors indoors if properly trained.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Throwing up is a personal specialty. Cleaning up after animals something I've tried and failed at. And I've been a landlord for 13 years, and no pets allowed. Plenty of my own though (double standards).
Well you're the boss mate gotta have ya perks & tbh if I owned properties & rented them I wouldn't want people having dogs in them, cats I wouldn't mind so much coz they tend to stay out more but like I said before I have a bullmastiff & it's like living with a smelly old man that likes to gobble on his own bollocks lol
He's house trained though (thank god)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You are in breach of your tenancy agreement, which means you have broken your contract with your landlord. This is a legal issue which puts all the cards in the landlord's hands. He can evict you and demand the flat be thoroughly cleaned and any damage made good, at your expense, which means withholding all or part of your deposit. As others have said, cats can have accidents, but they can also scratch a lot and damage woodwork and carpets with their scratchings. A landlord does not know whether your cat has fleas or not, and cats deposit hair all over the place, which will further the need for everything to be thoroughly cleaned. If your landlord has just refurbished after the squatters, he won't be very happy with the potential damage a cat can do, so may not be as willing as other landlords to allow you to keep the cat in the flat, should you ask him. If your cat is that important to you, it might be advisable for you to look for accommodation which allows pets, specifically, cats. If this accommodation is more important to you, then you should seriously consider rehoming the cat, unfortunate though that may be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All things considered, if you pay your rent on time, are little fuss and generally look after the property I imagine you'll be looked at favourably. This is assuming any clause in the leasehold can be overcome.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is what I was hoping to get in response to this thread. Thanks for all the contributions. I love my cat, simple as that. Call me stupid for that, I disagree. He's been my cat for more than 5 years, and my mum can't keep looking after him forever. I will talk to the landlord when/if he gets settled, if he doesn't like this place then it won't be an issue and he will be gone before anyone notices his arrival. Having him here does mean a lot to me, but I understand there is more to it than just that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
are you at uni? most landlords never bother you except to bill you through the nose for living like pigs and letting the kitchen get into that state it's in already

Nope, 24 and working full time. Rent been paid on time by all of us, we've never really spoken with our landlord because we've not had any cause to, and he's not got in touch with us because he's not had any need to either. I have spoken to him a few times in passing, always about the Albion, and he seems a nice enough guy who just wants a quiet life. He's got 3 sound tenants, all full time employed with a stable company and he knows he won't ever have a problem getting the rent, or any problem with us as tenants.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Have the cat stuffed and keep it on the sideboard.

You keep the cat, landlord is happy coz the cat can't damage the flat - everyones happy!

Sorted

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Nope, 24 and working full time. Rent been paid on time by all of us, we've never really spoken with our landlord because we've not had any cause to, and he's not got in touch with us because he's not had any need to either. I have spoken to him a few times in passing, always about the Albion, and he seems a nice enough guy who just wants a quiet life. He's got 3 sound tenants, all full time employed with a stable company and he knows he won't ever have a problem getting the rent, or any problem with us as tenants.

ah ok... well as he says he wants the quiet life... personally in your shoes i wouldn't worry. landlords seldom tend to drop in - i'm not sure they even are allowed to without arranging first? it's a tenants right to peaceable occupation i believe. so... it's not like it's a dog which is much more high demand and wear on the property for size, smell, noise and so on...

in your shoes i'd relax and keep it on the QT. doubt he'd even care anyway - these things are generally 'standard' on tenancies and i bet they only really care about noisy smelly pooches anyway.

just my opinion but it's unlikely to be a problem. could be wrong of course... but the odds are with you and if you are a badass like me you won't give a shit yo.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The trouble that pets cause and the distress they inflict on other people is just too numerous. I once left a door open and accidentally let a cat in (it was snowing outside and being soft-hearted and near Christmas).

A few months later, the Police were called and I was accused of stealing it. Actually, the Police told the woman to stuff it and ask me if I had seen a straggly cat. Then I had to chase it all around my flat because he did not want to go.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Landlord probably won't care if you're keeping the place in a decent condition. The no pets clause is often a standard thing on tenancy agreements and I'm sure he is much happier having paying tenants there than squatters. It's also really hard to evict tenants, both legally and physically, and he's not going to want to go through that hassle.

As for losing your deposit, this should be held by a 3rd party anyway, and any dispute has to be resolved before either the tenant or landlord can get their hands on the cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here