Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Tenancy agreement, slight breach...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've checked the tenancy agreement I, and my housemates, signed when we moved in and it specifically says that animals are not allowed in the house. Which is a slight issue, because my cat is now living here with me. This must be a very common breach of the rules though, and is it a problem? Where do we stand legally? I can't and won't just dump my cat, the poor old boy will struggle with the move as it is. Just wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer some advice, or have some experience with this sort of problem. Cheers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well if the landlord finds out, he can kick you out. Since you don't want to lose the cat, I'd start looking for a new place that will allow you to keep an animal.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If it say no cats in the tenacy and he finds out and is a bastard about it. You wont have a leg to stand on.

Leagualy, if they have not specified, then you're fine.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He is unlikely to find out. One thing he did make clear when we moved in was that all he wants is a quiet life. Squatters were here before and he's had to spend a lot of dosh doing the place up to make it inhabitable again, new carpet and whatnot. He's happy to have people who aren't causing any problems, which we aren't. We're quiet, pay bills on time and get on with him quite well. He's a 1901er, so we have a good relationship at the moment. I considered talking to him, Ernest, but I'm not sure if that's a gamble worth taking. If he specifically says no cat, and then does happen to discover old Tiger, that could be an issue. I would rather take my chances, I was just interested.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Just tell him and be honest.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Most likely he may ask for slightly more deposit to cover potential damages that the cat may do, and that's it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Extreme though, isn't it? All for the sake of a cat?
In what way is it extreme? You said you won't dump your cat, so short unless you can hide the cat, what choice do you have. You said he's spent a lot doing it up, new carpets etc, and cats do damage. At some point the cat will dump on the carpet etc.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
tell him, just say ya will treat everything before ya leave that was the condition on my flat, it did say no pets but lived there a year then had a chat with Landlady and asked her about a pet and she said aslong as it was clean, flea treated and we treated the house when we left then there would be no issue.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Tell him its a stray you made the mistake of feeding one time in the garden & it keeps coming back lol

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
In what way is it extreme? You said you won't dump your cat, so short unless you can hide the cat, what choice do you have. You said he's spent a lot doing it up, new carpets etc, and cats do damage. At some point the cat will dump on the carpet etc.
So clean it, the bloke could just as easily be sick on the carpet after a night on piss.
Also it's a f***ing cat, if the landlord comes round then put it out !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Excellent point.

Nah, besides, how would he know who I am?! We don't live in his only house, either. So there are a few others.

I think I'll let my cat settle in first and then have a word with the guy. I prefer the honesty is the best policy line, but I'm not sure the real world works like that. Might just have to be sneaky and make sure there's no trace of him should the landlord want to come around.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Tell the landlord before he finds out maybe the best course of action. A "no pets" clause in the tenancy agreement might be ignored by the landlord because you're not keeping a rottie , rattlesnake or parrots but you may lose a bit of your deposit when you move out when damage to fixtures and fittings caused by the cat are taken off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So clean it, the bloke could just as easily be sick on the carpet after a night on piss.
Also it's a f***ing cat, if the landlord comes round then put it out !
If cat shit/pee isn't cleaned immediately, it will permanantly stain the carpet. Being sick on the carpet isn't great either, but personally I normally make it to the toilet (but I am a pro at throwing up). It depends if it's a nice place or not. If you are young and live in shit holes, maybe you won't understand.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Nah, besides, how would he know who I am?! We don't live in his only house, either. So there are a few others.

Others full of Albion fans that used to have squatters in? :facepalm:

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I've checked the tenancy agreement I, and my housemates, signed when we moved in and it specifically says that animals are not allowed in the house. Which is a slight issue, because my cat is now living here with me. This must be a very common breach of the rules though, and is it a problem? Where do we stand legally? I can't and won't just dump my cat, the poor old boy will struggle with the move as it is. Just wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer some advice, or have some experience with this sort of problem. Cheers.

When you move out he will withhold your deposit , to pay for redecoration and relacement of carpets that stink of cats piss.He will then take you for the balance if the deposit does not cover the costs.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here