Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Starbucks Advice Please!!!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am visiting Starbucks with a friend in a few hours, and being totally ignorant to 'cafe culture' don't want to make a fool of myself when ordering as I find Starbucks really quite intimidating.

I wanted to show my 'knowledge' of such things by ordering something a bit different, but nothing camp like a frappucino.

Any advice?

"i.e. I'll have a tall skinny latte with extra foam"

But less gay.

PS. I *know* Starbucks is expensive/overpriced/pretentious etc etc etc, just humour me.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If you want a strong(ish) coffee with milk - ask for an Americano with room for milk.

erm. that is about as much as I know too, I am not a fan of Starbucks (but their rocky road is lurvely)

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Go for a Caramel Macchiato...and DO NOT buy any of the cakes, sandwiches etc on offer as they are SO OVERPRICED...more than the coffee itself.

As for cafe etiquette, etc and in order to not look like a fool, let your lady friend order first, looking like an absolute gent and then taking her lead with a coffee order...adn don't expect it to be delivered to your seat, you have to wait for it.

Enjoy...I fookin Love Starbucks me...

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Don't do what I did and ask for a venti latte with room (for milk)

The assistant gave me a 'You are an imbecile' look and said, 'It's made with milk....'

:(

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Go for a Caramel Macchiato...and DO NOT buy any of the cakes, sandwiches etc on offer as they are SO OVERPRICED...more than the coffee itself.

As for cafe etiquette, etc and in order to not look like a fool, let your lady friend order first, looking like an absolute gent and then taking her lead with a coffee order...adn don't expect it to be delivered to your seat, you have to wait for it.

Enjoy...I fookin Love Starbucks me...

Cheers! And as for sizes? When I order my drink do they ask..?

And the sizes go short, tall, grande, venti - small to largest?

Can the caramel macchiato be made with an extra shot of espresso?

Proper etiquette is to go into Starbucks then walk straight out and go somewhere else where the coffee is less insipid.

Is the right answer.

Still, if you *must* go, then remember the golden rule - never buy anything with syrup in (that includes the caramel whatever someone else suggested). Coffee for people who don't like coffee.

My basic rule is to never use a coffee shop where syrups are available. I only want my coffee made by someone who only sells coffee for people who like coffee.

If you want something different at a Starbucks (or similar), then go for something classic, because their customers don't seem to want just straight, simple coffee. A black coffee, NO ICE CUBE, will do. Or, if you want something milky, as someone else has suggested, go for an americano with a dash of milk.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Or got to Cafe Nero where the coffee is at least passable, sometimes.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I am visiting Starbucks with a friend in a few hours, and being totally ignorant to 'cafe culture' don't want to make a fool of myself when ordering as I find Starbucks really quite intimidating.

I wanted to show my 'knowledge' of such things by ordering something a bit different, but nothing camp like a frappucino.

Any advice?

"i.e. I'll have a tall skinny latte with extra foam"

But less gay.

PS. I *know* Starbucks is expensive/overpriced/pretentious etc etc etc, just humour me.

Orange juice.:thumbsup:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks to the people making helpful comments. I quote my first post;

"PS. I *know* Starbucks is expensive/overpriced/pretentious etc etc etc, just humour me."

This isn't about my love of Starbucks or any other coffee shop, this is about getting through the next few hours appearing I totally know what I'm doing in there, and can order something as if I've ordered it a hundred times before, and appearing that I'm really cool while doing it..

If I just order a standard filter coffee the game is up, i could do that in a greasy spoon, but i also don't want to get anything which isn't real coffee like one of those frozen iced ones..

I like strong black coffee.. but I want to order it maybe with extra stuff..

I was right to feel intimidated - its like a club of people who know what they're doing, what are us normal people supposed to do!!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sod the coffee, go to the pub and order a pint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you on a promise?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You will be if you'll tell me what to order.. ;)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Go in and ask the girl serving very loudly for a "SMELLY FISH FINGERFUCK" - this is normal behaviour for Starbucks afficionados; if you see other customers not doing that, it's because they're really the novices.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Order a coffee and say you want it 'black with milk....'

They think it's sooo funny

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here