Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Poached eggs

on the subject of runny yolks, can anyone explain why, at the motor way services, they always turn the fried eggs leaving a horrible shriveled mess instead of a beautiful yellow and white egg, perfect for dunking the sausage and bread in?
Yep. They don't care.

They should ASK customers how they would like their eggs fried. If they don't, order something else. Or, better still, eat somewhere else.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
on the subject of runny yolks, can anyone explain why, at the motor way services, they always turn the fried eggs leaving a horrible shriveled mess instead of a beautiful yellow and white egg, perfect for dunking the sausage and bread in?

When I worked in restaurants 8 years ago there was a health and safety issue with serving not thoroughly cooked egg whites?!?

Might be a reason?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Little chef do a nice fry up.

Best tip is to use fresh eggs.Same as when you fry an egg the white of the egg holds it shape better instead of spreading over the pan/water
It depends on what you mean by "fresh". An egg that is really fresh (collected from underneath the hen and cooked immediately) is always a rather rubbery disappointment. A day old egg is wonderful, though.

And KEEP EGGS OUT OF THE FRIDGE.

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
A method I was shown once, was to bring the water in the saucepan to the boil and then turn to simmer. Whilst this is going on boil a kettle and pop the egg into a cup. Then pour the boiling water from the kettle into the cup covering the egg and leave it for 30 secs, then remove the egg and crack it into the pan. The egg has cooked slightly and is more congealed and should keep together more in the saucepan.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use the Delia method, 1.5" water in a frying pan, bring to the boil, drop back to a low simmer. Eggs at room temperature. Break the eggs into the water, turn off the heat and leave for 10-11 minutes, no vinegar, no whirlpool, just lovely poached eggs.

I use the Delia method, 1.5" water in a frying pan, bring to the boil, drop back to a low simmer. Eggs at room temperature. Break the eggs into the water, turn off the heat and leave for 10-11 minutes, no vinegar, no whirlpool, just lovely poached eggs.

Wouldn't 10 to 11 minutes result in hard boiled eggs?

Lush

Mods' Pet
THE CLING FILM METHOD!!! Tear off a square of cling film. Place over mug. Use egg to make a big dent in cling film. Break egg into big dent. Swizzle top and drop into pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from pan carefully. Remove cling film. PERFECT poached egg.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
get your Mum to do it for you.
sorted

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

I agree - this is the best method for poached eggs I have found. Always get properly cooked eggs with a nice runny yolk.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I gave up trying to get a perfect poached egg when I learnt how to do a basted egg.
Get your eggs at room temperature and boil the kettle first. Then you want a tiny bit of oil in the base of a frying pan ( I use spray oil, you don't want it oily, just enough to not stick to the pan) and crack the egg into it like you were going to fry it. As soon as the egg has taken the shape of a fried egg you pour in your water and leave it boiling gently with a lid on. About 1 min or so is usually enough but keep an eye on it and when the film of white over the yoke has turned from clear to white, that's usually enough. It takes a few attempts to get it totally right but you end up with the look of a nice fried egg (so something you can dip chips and toast and stuff in) but the softer texture of a poached egg.

crack the eggs into a bowl first so you can carefully slide em into a pan of boiling water thats just been taken off the hob so its not bubbling, stick it back on the hob let it boil for a minute or so, soft yolks, Bob's yer uncle
This is a good trick. I use a small cup instead of a bowl, but the result is the same - the yolk and white will then stay together. Also, use white vinegar instead of malt vinegar, to avoid the brown stain on the egg. I usually cook them for about 3 minutes, so they are then just on the turn between runny and hard.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
I use a frying pan with about 3/4cm of water rather than a saucepan. It is easier to regulate the temperature that way. That being said I have not perfected it yet either. Really fresh eggs is the key though, so pretty much no eggs from the supermarket ever.
This

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I've always used something like this to poach eggs in.

41G5FDXNF3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But there are loads of alternative gadgets available. Some of them must work well. Any advice, NSC?

Thats an egg steamer surely? To poach an egg it must be in contact with the water, no?

My Grandad used to make coddled eggs in one of these

strawberries.jpg

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
THE CLING FILM METHOD!!! Tear off a square of cling film. Place over mug. Use egg to make a big dent in cling film. Break egg into big dent. Swizzle top and drop into pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from pan carefully. Remove cling film. PERFECT poached egg.

Bit of a bastard to get out of the cling film though.
These get the job done, as nothing sticks to silicone it seems.
20090813-poachers.jpg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Health and Safety gubbins. Not really valid when they're cooked there and then but you wouldn't want an egg with a still-runny yoke left sitting there for an hour.

One brand of services here only cooks eggs when ordered, can guess which one I usually stop in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here