Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Poached eggs

I'm pretty good in the kitchen but the one thing i just can't get right is Poached Eggs.

I've tried the adding vinegar thing to the water, I've tried making a whirlpool in the saucepan but every time they just end up in a complete mess.:facepalm:

Anyone got any tips please?

Also, how long do you leave them in?

Cheers in advance

I've always used something like this to poach eggs in.

41G5FDXNF3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But there are loads of alternative gadgets available. Some of them must work well. Any advice, NSC?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I use a frying pan with about 3/4cm of water rather than a saucepan. It is easier to regulate the temperature that way. That being said I have not perfected it yet either. Really fresh eggs is the key though, so pretty much no eggs from the supermarket ever.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
A microwave method told to my by a chef at one of the hotels I worked at.

Two eggs in a little water in the bottom of a jug, splash of vinegar, two minutes in the microwave.

Some people have said you need to prick the yolk but I never have and they have always turned out ok.

Not nicely shaped like the pan in LB's post but nice anyway

Keep the water at just below the boil, particles oscillating by never bubbling. Only really achievable when cooking on gas.

Makes sense, how long do you keep them in? i always try to get a runny yolk but never really get it.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I've just got the hang of this, on gas. Put some vinegar in the pint and a half of water in a saucepan, bring it to the boil, turn it down to simmer, then pop the eggs in, and use a standard egg-timer for lovely results :smile:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've always used something like this to poach eggs in.

41G5FDXNF3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But there are loads of alternative gadgets available. Some of them must work well. Any advice, NSC?

God's product and possibly the only thing you need in the kitchen barring a cooker. Getting the eggs exactly right is another matter - it's an obscenely fine line between a runny and a solidified yoke (well it is when I'm cooking).

God's product and possibly the only thing you need in the kitchen barring a cooker. Getting the eggs exactly right is another matter - it's an obscenely fine line between a runny and a solidified yoke (well it is when I'm cooking).

I've got one of these but the can't get the bloody eggs out of the holders. And i prefer the look that you get without using one, not that i ever actually achive it mind.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have tried for years to get this right. My solution, use Lord B's saucepan ,ditch the lid etc. Water just about to boil but no bubbling, break the eggs and gently lower them in. You can actually see how they are cooking and when they are ready. Works well for me!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've got one of these but the can't get the bloody eggs out of the holders. And i prefer the look that you get without using one, not that i ever actually achive it mind.

Smear cups round with margerine/butter before putting eggs in. I love the dome shapes it produces. :)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think a little nob of butter warmed in the dishes before the eggs go in help with the sticky egg problem

Smear cups round with margerine/butter before putting eggs in. I love the dome shapes it produces. :)
... is the right answer.

Not too much butter, though.

And run a knife (carefully) around the top edge of the egg to release it. The top edge of the egg only - there's no need to scrape below the egg itself.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Makes sense, how long do you keep them in? i always try to get a runny yolk but never really get it.

on the subject of runny yolks, can anyone explain why, at the motor way services, they always turn the fried eggs leaving a horrible shriveled mess instead of a beautiful yellow and white egg, perfect for dunking the sausage and bread in?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
^^^^

I like them a little coddled!

Yep maybe a little longer but barely, if you really want them with runny yolks and don't mind a bit of snottyness.

Not followers of Ewina Currie in this house!

on the subject of runny yolks, can anyone explain why, at the motor way services, they always turn the fried eggs leaving a horrible shriveled mess instead of a beautiful yellow and white egg, perfect for dunking the sausage and bread in?

My wife does this and it's just plain wrong.

I blame Edwina Currie.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Best tip is to use fresh eggs.Same as when you fry an egg the white of the egg holds it shape better instead of spreading over the pan/water

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here