Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Men in nurseries

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No, not at all.

By definition NO MAN has a maternal instinct - physical impossibility, as we can't be mothers, so no, not sexist at all.

True, I was just thinking in the eyes of employment law and equality surely it could not be stated that a man is unable to perform in the job role to the same standard as a female?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Anecdotally, I've heard that a lot of men currently working in various industries are now considering teaching. It's better paid than it was, there are opportunities to further your career, it's relatively stable (useful if you have a family depending on you) and the summer holidays give people time to do family and other stuff.

It's father figures, rather than mother figures, that seem to be lacking in many families. For me, an influx of male role models at all levels of education can only be a good thing.

Our "Communuty Nursery" has a better balance of women /men than most, more like 1 to 4.

All the staff are brialiant and complement each other.

However, in the 18 months to 2 1/2 year group I have repeatedly been asked to do a session "because many of the kids don't have any contact with males". A reflection of the high proportion of single parents. The nursery is in huge demand.

Dandyman

In London village.
Has it ever been any different though ? I'm 46 but I can only remember female teachers at my infant school. It was different at junior school, there was about 50/50 I think, but not at infants.

Same age, can't remember Enfants but we had plenty of male teachers in Juniors including at least one WW2 veteran. Totally agree that boys need positive male role models.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here