Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mac instead of Windows PC

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
This particular monitor contains a TN LCD panel (basically cheap shit). iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays have SIPS panels, which are deemed to be far superior in colour display and viewing ability. Get back to me when you find a SIPS panel monitor for the same size and price as a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

I was just about to post this but you put it so much better than I could have.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
This particular monitor contains a TN LCD panel (basically cheap shit). iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays have SIPS panels, which are deemed to be far superior in colour display and viewing ability. Get back to me when you find a SIPS panel monitor for the same size and price as a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

My point was that you can buy an equivalent spec PC far cheaper than a bottom of the range iMac, which has a 21" display not 27". I've had a look and there are various 22"-24" IPS monitors on the market for between £200 and £500. Given that without the monitor, a PC comes in around £600 cheaper than an iMac, even if you go for the most expensive PC monitor you'll save around £100.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
If you want a Mac without a monitor, you can get a perfectly decent Mac Mini with a 2.3Ghz i5 processor for a shade over £500. Ok, it's not going to be a graphics powerhouse (although it'll be more than alright for most stuff), but it's a surprisingly well-specced Mac, a great bit of design, and reasonably priced. And OS X Lion is just superb.

I'm not saying you don't pay extra for buying Apple stuff, just that there's an option for pretty much any budget (apart from possibly a caravan-dwelling Palace troglodyte's).

My point was that you can buy an equivalent spec PC far cheaper than a bottom of the range iMac, which has a 21" display not 27". I've had a look and there are various 22"-24" IPS monitors on the market for between £200 and £500. Given that without the monitor, a PC comes in around £600 cheaper than an iMac, even if you go for the most expensive PC monitor you'll save around £100.

Is that £100 saving before or after adding a fully functioning operating system (with tools for managing/editing photos, music, home videos etc)?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Show me a man who has gone Mac and yet prefers Windows PCs and I will show you a liar.

You pay a premium for your Apple product, but you will get years of top quality service from it.

And in terms of Windows vs OSX, you'll wonder why Microsoft make their product so annoying once you've discovered how well a computer really can run under the intuitive Apple operating system

I was given a free Mac laptop by my employer, and it made my life so bloody difficult that I spent £600 of my own money on a Samsung running Windows, which I love. Call me a liar if you like, but I can show you the receipt.

Tubes

Apr 16, 2011
I was given a free Mac laptop by my employer, and it made my life so bloody difficult that I spent £600 of my own money on a Samsung running Windows, which I love. Call me a liar if you like, but I can show you the receipt.

Did you sell the Mac in the end?

Any Mac sold in the last few years (with an Intel processor) can run Windows instead of Mac OSX - so you could have saved yourself most of that £600 by getting a copy of Windows. If you run Windows in Parallels or Fusion you don't even have to re-boot.

But stick with what you like. I think Apple users (including myself) like being in the minority but feeling satisfied that we know best. Doesn't help the whole 'Apple fanboy/fangirl' image though.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
"Given" as in, it's what they supplied me with. Technically it's still theirs, though it's done nothing but gather dust since my beloved, crash-free Samsung arrived nearly two years ago. At some point, they'll probably send me a brand new Mac in the post - which will then start to gather dust too. Waste of their money really, but I did spend several years telling them that the Mac was useless and begging them for a Windows machine before deciding that life was too short to be saddled with the Mac forever. Trouble is, my IT department is full of people who refuse to believe that Macs are anything but perfect. It was like dealing with the Taliban.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Any Mac sold in the last few years (with an Intel processor) can run Windows instead of Mac OSX - so you could have saved yourself most of that £600 by getting a copy of Windows. If you run Windows in Parallels or Fusion you don't even have to re-boot.

But stick with what you like. I think Apple users (including myself) like being in the minority but feeling satisfied that we know best. Doesn't help the whole 'Apple fanboy/fangirl' image though.

Tried that. Needed to run a racing form book under Windows - they don't bother do a dedicated Mac version, because it's such a small part of the market.
It was so slow it drove me insane. My Samsung updates it in 30 seconds. The Mac took 20 minutes, and even then it crashed half the time and I had to start again.
And even when it did update, every ...... time ...... I ... clicked...... on..... something........ ......................... it ........took .....................................................f***ing ......................forever ...................to .......................register .................. the ...................fact..............
The Samsung, funnily enough, is greased lightning.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Tried that. Needed to run a racing form book under Windows - they don't bother do a dedicated Mac version, because it's such a small part of the market.
It was so slow it drove me insane. My Samsung updates it in 30 seconds. The Mac took 20 minutes, and even then it crashed half the time and I had to start again.
And even when it did update, every ...... time ...... I ... clicked...... on..... something........ ......................... it ........took .....................................................f***ing ......................forever ...................to .......................register .................. the ...................fact..............

More importantly, what's your NAP for tomorrow?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
More importantly, what's your NAP for tomorrow?

Will probably be many months, if ever, before I match today's effort, but am having a look at the moment.
Do fancy one in the celebs race on Thursday though, separate thread to follow shortly...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Will probably be many months, if ever, before I match today's effort, but am having a look at the moment.
Do fancy one in the celebs race on Thursday though, separate thread to follow shortly...

Good, good, a few of us had a touch with that race at the festival.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sounds like something was wrong with the install. Did you try it in Boot Camp which completely boots the machine in the guest OS, rather than Fusion or Parallels which run it over the main OS? I use AutoCAD through Parallels and agree it's a lot slower than through a native windows machine, however I need to switch back and forth with OSX so live with it. Parallels is a bitch though and they constantly release new editions that are hopelessly buggy and need numerous patches and fixes. But, for £600 you got a machine that does everything you need, and that you can completely trust, can't really argue with that....

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Awaiting delivery of a Macbook Pro as we speak :excited:

Cappers - get one, you know you want to!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just been working on a site which has plenty of dead PCs, it also has plenty of dead Macs, so much so even I was surprised. Clearly they ain't quite as good as some people seem to think. They're also bastards to repair (I do it for a living but never mind my opinion).

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Just to update I got a MAC last weekend and getting used to it. After lost a week of using it, went back to my Windows ACER laptop and it seemed so 'clunky'. though my ACER was quick, but it seemed so slow using it again. The operating system on the MAC seems so straightforward . The build of the MAC is solid, even pressing they keys feels solid.
I agree with all of those who have said MAC's are better than Windows. After so long on on a Windows machine there will be the odd things I miss, but the benefits of a mac will far outweigh this. I can always use my ACER if I need to, although it does feel 'cheap' to use.
Yes the MAC is expensive, and does it justify the cost? Well in my opinion yes and from what else I have read you get longevity with a MAC.
It is a very slick bit of kit.
(OK Mr Jobs?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here