Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mac instead of Windows PC

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I took the plunge 3 years ago and have never looked back since, best tech decision i've ever made! Just for those of you who dont already know you can infact run windows xp/vista/7 etc on it too. Not just in virtualization but as a separate bootable partition. So if you ever get the urge to use windows again or need windows for something (cant imaging why you would) then you can in a matter of seconds by rebooting and choosing mac or windows. Every time i use a PC i feel i have gone back in time!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
personally i cant past the single click, the right click context menu is such a advantagous addition to the GUI, i really dont undertand why Apple have never accepted it fully.

I've been using macs for roughly 6 years now and I've always been able to right click?

I'm a power user (linux background) and bought a Macbook Pro in late 2005 and I'm still running the same laptop to this date, sure it's looking a bit tatty but in all honesty it seems as quick in Lion than it did in Tiger. I can't see myself needing to replace it until they drop support for some of the hardware in the early Intel machines (Lion already culled non 64 bit CPUs).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've been using macs for roughly 6 years now and I've always been able to right click?

my experience is quite old, iirc it supports the right click but you have to switch it on somewhere and, significantly, have a 2 button mouse (may detect 2 button mouse now?). Macs dont come with one as standard and mac books only have a single button.
i like macs, just not enough to bother making the switch.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Show me a man who has gone Mac and yet prefers Windows PCs and I will show you a liar.

You pay a premium for your Apple product, but you will get years of top quality service from it.

And in terms of Windows vs OSX, you'll wonder why Microsoft make their product so annoying once you've discovered how well a computer really can run under the intuitive Apple operating system

I guess that's you calling me a liar then. I love my Mac, excellent bit of kit, but as a lot of the s/w I use is only Windows I use it in bootcamp a lot of the time and I honestly prefer using W7 to OSX. I dint know what it is, I guess it's familiarity to a degree, but when I am doing the basics, even Word, etc, I just get more done in Windows than OSX. I have Office for both, as well as Adobe CS, so I am not lacking in s/w on one over the other, I just find Windows more user friendly. I know there will be those who find this hard to believe, but for me that's the case.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Right clicking has been around for yonks, on the laptop you either hold the control button and click or put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click. The mighty mouse has had a right hand click for ages and the Mac has been able to detect and use 2 button mice for a long time.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i went from pc to mac this year best decision i ever made! the mac is a thing of beauty + new OSX Lion is wicked everything is simple and quick to use, if you can afford it get it! trust me

ask me questions if you like i just got it and had same thoughts as you :)

Shaun

+ you can right click using 2 fingers... that is all..

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Actually the right click conundrum was the one thing that used to annoy me about Macs but these days it is no longer an issue. As has been pointed out, you can easily use a two button mouse that is recognised by the machine or if using a trackpad you just go for a two finger tap. Of course all modern desktop Macs come with the magic mouse which supports right finger clicking (even though it has no buttons).

Personally I have a two button bluetooth mouse that I use with my Macbook Pro and it didn't require any setting up, it just works

Last edited:

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Actually the right click conundrum was the one thing that used to annoy me about Macs but these days it is no longer an issue. As has been pointed out, you can easily use a two button mouse that is recognised by the machine or if using a trackpad you just go for a two finger tap. Of course all modern desktop Macs come with the magic mouse which supports right finger clicking (even though it has no buttons).

Personally I have a two button bluetooth mouse that I use with my Macbook Pro and it didn't require any setting up, it just works

same with me i used a wired logitech and it worked perfectly straight away

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
and actually provide a PC that doesnt break within a year and I'll maybe switch back.

This is what I really don't get about macs. Loads of my firends have them and love them ofcourse, and yet, to me, it seems like they are always breaking. One friend in particular who is able to have his work pay for them, says they only last about 3 years. Only his opinion but hardly the super reliable machines we are told about.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This is what I really don't get about macs. Loads of my firends have them and love them ofcourse, and yet, to me, it seems like they are always breaking. One friend in particular who is able to have his work pay for them, says they only last about 3 years. Only his opinion but hardly the super reliable machines we are told about.

Maybe I've been lucky then. My original lamp style one from 2002 is still working, as is the one from 2006. My mates have gone through about 5 PCs over the past 9 years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The only 'good' reason for preferring a PC over a Mac is price, no other issue applies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe I've been lucky then. My original lamp style one from 2002 is still working, as is the one from 2006. My mates have gone through about 5 PCs over the past 9 years.

i have a PC from early noughties still runs. in fact there are hundreds of thousands of them out there in corporate work places (MS hates this, they say their biggest competitor is themselves). i know of a company that has some pentium machines still running (running old win16 apps). Macs are better hardware, but these days basically the same as a similarly priced PC, the main thing is MacOS doesnt "break" so often. because it restricts what you can do more, so you cant break it so easily. the reliability is overegged, i wonder how well they'd be percieved if they had substantially more than the ~10% market share?

and a good reason to prefer a PC over a Mac is if the PC runs the applications you want/need to use.

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
still do not understand how people miss the small print on all Mac computer boxes....

"for girls only"

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I took the plunge 3 years ago and have never looked back since, best tech decision i've ever made! Just for those of you who dont already know you can infact run windows xp/vista/7 etc on it too. Not just in virtualization but as a separate bootable partition. So if you ever get the urge to use windows again or need windows for something (cant imaging why you would) then you can in a matter of seconds by rebooting and choosing mac or windows. Every time i use a PC i feel i have gone back in time!

And that's the part I don't understand. You pay all this money for a Mac and then install Windows on another partition. For me personally if I had paid over a grand and then went and installed Windows on another partition that would ruin the whole experience of owning a mac in the first place and make it feel cheap.

You might as well go and buy a pc with the same spec for cheaper and just do the hackinstosh project or install a linux distribution and dual boot or use virtual box to install Windows XP.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And that's the part I don't understand. You pay all this money for a Mac and then install Windows on another partition. For me personally if I had paid over a grand and then went and installed Windows on another partition that would ruin the whole experience of owning a mac in the first place and make it feel cheap.

You might as well go and buy a pc with the same spec for cheaper and just do the hackinstosh project or install a linux distribution and dual boot or use virtual box to install Windows XP.

There are reasons of compatibility. Mind you I have a PC that runs Windows 7 and under that XP, Mac OS and Linux (mainly for testing). Granted it's far easier to run Windows under Leopard than vice versa.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
There are reasons of compatibility. Mind you I have a PC that runs Windows 7 and under that XP, Mac OS and Linux (mainly for testing). Granted it's far easier to run Windows under Leopard than vice versa.

I am running Leopard under windows using virtual box on a windows 7 machine. Have you tried or managed to upgrade it to snow leopard? I have tried a couple of times but failed miserably. It won't be an issue in a couple of months as I am getting myself a Macbook pro to replace my current windows laptop that is three years old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here