Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mac instead of Windows PC

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Is it seamless transferring your data from Windows to mac via an external HD. Presumably the HD would be already windows formatted, so can a mac read this? How have others got on with their migration. Is it seamless?
Also, can you only get the software from Apple on line store, or are there other 'ahem' alternatives? :wink:

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Same story here went to Mac this January after working on and devleoping apps for PC's/Windows from the early days of 3.11. Love the Mac it's better in most departments, there are still one or two things I prefer with Windows but then after 20 years some habits are hard to break. Once you Mac you never go back!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Macs are better hardware, but these days basically the same as a similarly priced PC

A Core i5 processor is a Core i5 processor whether it's in a PC or a Mac.

As for being similarly priced, you can buy a PC (with no OS pre-installed) with the same spec as a bottom-end iMac for around £600 less than the iMac would set you back. Install Fedora 15 on it and you can happily ignore the monthly Mac/Windows binfest for evermore.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Is it seamless transferring your data from Windows to mac via an external HD. Presumably the HD would be already windows formatted, so can a mac read this? How have others got on with their migration. Is it seamless?
Also, can you only get the software from Apple on line store, or are there other 'ahem' alternatives? :wink:

With Lion, the new OS I believe they have added PC migration to their migration assistant which involves downloading a small app on the PC and running along side the migration assistant on the Mac will transfer your user account and data accross to the Mac.

Oh and there is always *cough* alternatives, most sources of PC software of quesitonable legitamacy also have similar MAC sources as well.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

As for being similarly priced, you can buy a PC (with no OS pre-installed) with the same spec as a bottom-end iMac for around £600 less than the iMac would set you back. Install Fedora 15 on it and you can happily ignore the monthly Mac/Windows binfest for evermore.

Does that include a stunning display like the iMac has though?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
To be fair it doesn't, I forgot to factor that in. You'd need to add around £130 for an equivalent backlit LCD monitor, so you'd end up saving around £470.

Please can you point me to an equivalent display to the iMac display for £130. I'll buy one right now if you can.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am running Leopard under windows using virtual box on a windows 7 machine. Have you tried or managed to upgrade it to snow leopard? I have tried a couple of times but failed miserably. It won't be an issue in a couple of months as I am getting myself a Macbook pro to replace my current windows laptop that is three years old.

I'm using VMware but to be honest it was just an exercise, not worth bothering about. I was just saying that although it's possible to make a PC look like a Mac what's the point ? I can see why somebody would want to use Windows on a Mac I suppose but even that has limited appeal.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Please can you point me to an equivalent display to the iMac display for £130. I'll buy one right now if you can.

The LG Flatron E2260V-PN. 22", backlit LED, 1920 x 1080, i.e. equivalent to the bottom end iMac. Yours for £130 inc. VAT from Novatech.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

Good to see another Linux user. Over the years I have noticed a few other users who use Linux on here. As regards fedora, are you using gnome3?

Did not like the new Ubuntu which used the new Unity interface so instead installed Xubuntu. It's great.

Tubes

Apr 16, 2011
Good to see another Linux user. Over the years I have noticed a few other users who use Linux on here. As regards fedora, are you using gnome3?

Did not like the new Ubuntu which used the new Unity interface so instead installed Xubuntu. It's great.

I just recently gave up with Ubuntu also as I couldn't connect to my wireless network :/ Hows Fedora with wireless?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Install Fedora 15 on it and you can happily ignore the monthly Mac/Windows binfest for evermore.

aye, if i were to move away from Windows it would be to the land of Penguin. but i play a few games, so windows it is. also, Linux is shit at little things like not running the GPU fan noisely full pelt all the time.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

Yep, I'm using GNOME 3. It's not the finished article by any means, and takes some getting used to but on the whole I think it's pretty good. I haven't used Unity, none of the 11.04 live CDs I've got came with it (all use GNOME 2.32 for some reason) and can't be doing with installing it from the ground up just to have a look.

I just recently gave up with Ubuntu also as I couldn't connect to my wireless network :/ Hows Fedora with wireless?

No idea as I've got it wired at the moment, I can give it a go wirelessly later though and let you know. Strange about Ubuntu as it's usually pretty good for wireless, most distros now should be fine even if you have to use ndiswrapper - I managed to get Puppy 5.2.5 connected on a 6 year old laptop using a Windows driver.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
aye, if i were to move away from Windows it would be to the land of Penguin. but i play a few games, so windows it is. also, Linux is shit at little things like not running the GPU fan noisely full pelt all the time.

Its getting better with Wine. WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
Have no problems whatsoever running Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop 7. It's so good you forget your using Linux.
I know these versions are now old but due to the lack of a decent WYSIWYG editor its all you can use.

However Linux strengths is being able to set up a webserver using Apache within minutes. But like Mac no worries with Viruses or Spyware.

Tubes

Apr 16, 2011
Yep, I'm using GNOME 3. It's not the finished article by any means, and takes some getting used to but on the whole I think it's pretty good. I haven't used Unity, none of the 11.04 live CDs I've got came with it (all use GNOME 2.32 for some reason) and can't be doing with installing it from the ground up just to have a look.

No idea as I've got it wired at the moment, I can give it a go wirelessly later though and let you know. Strange about Ubuntu as it's usually pretty good for wireless, most distros now should be fine even if you have to use ndiswrapper - I managed to get Puppy 5.2.5 connected on a 6 year old laptop using a Windows driver.

If you could do that and message me the result. That would be great :)

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

I don't know if Windows 7 manages to detect all the hardware, but over the last couple of years you install a distro and it finds every single driver and it gets better.
I bought a Samsung laser mono printer about a year ago and I thought I hope it gets detected. Well it didnt. Usually that's the end of the line.

However I went on the Samsung website and they have Linux drivers, and even better a proper installer for it. This would not have happend 7 or 8 years ago. It just shows how far Linux has come.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
The LG Flatron E2260V-PN. 22", backlit LED, 1920 x 1080, i.e. equivalent to the bottom end iMac. Yours for £130 inc. VAT from Novatech.

This particular monitor contains a TN LCD panel (basically cheap shit). iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays have SIPS panels, which are deemed to be far superior in colour display and viewing ability. Get back to me when you find a SIPS panel monitor for the same size and price as a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
This particular monitor contains a TN LCD panel (basically cheap shit). iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays have SIPS panels, which are deemed to be far superior in colour display and viewing ability. Get back to me when you find a SIPS panel monitor for the same size and price as a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

Wasn't he on about comparable laptop screens?

If so, I'd say that my Dell XPS 15 true life HD+ screen is actually better than my dad's macbook pro, and costs £170 to add on as an extra. The standard HD ready true life display is pretty good at standard. HD+ screen has been colour tested by CNET reviews (I think) and passes not just the standard colour range test but colour editing range tests too..

Not sure hardware is really the plus point of macs per say- more the integration, and that the OS is designed with an exact hardware spec in mind..

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
My mother-in-law gave us her old Fujitsu laptop running Window XP, however it would not connect to wifi. So I wiped it and installed the latest verson of Ubuntu and "Voila" instant internet connection....................trouble is; it is still a crappy old Fujitsu and I much prefer my Macbook!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here