Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mac instead of Windows PC

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Thinkg seriously of buying a Mac after years of Windows based PC's. I have learnt a fair bit about windows and very little about Macs. just after some advice/words of wisdom from Mac users on NSC. Wondered if anyone can help with the following;

Would I be able to open my data files saved on windows on a mac (i.e Word excel, DivX/avi etc)
Do I really need an anti virus and firewall and other associated security (anti spyware?)
Does the built in software a mac comes with worth it in its own right or do you need real stuff
What happens when you visit a flash based website
Are system and data partitioned separately, or can this be done?

Any decent websies/forums for newbies?

Appreciate any help/advice.

many thanks :cool:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Open files: yes.
Anti-virus: no, although Macs are now coming onto the radar of bad guys due to the continuing surge in Mac ownership.
Built in stuff is very good. The iLife suite is fab.
The Flash just plays as you'd expect.
Not in logical partitions, no, although as a matter of course you'll have an Applications directory and a separate data directory.

You are really unlikely to need much help - ease of use is a key strength. Almost everything you do, or want to do, is very intuitive.

If you can afford the up-front cost, you're very unlikely to regret a decision to go Mac.

Last edited:

Tubes

Apr 16, 2011
Only thing stopping me from Getting a Macintosh Is the cost. Otherwise I'd get one like a shot.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Open files: yes.
Anti-virus: no, although Macs are now coming onto the radar of bad guys due to the continuing surge in Mac ownership.
Built in stuff is very good. The iLife suite is fab.
The Flash just plays as you'd expect.
Not in logical partitions, no, although as a matter of course you'll have an Applications directory and a separate data directory.

You are really unlikely to need much help - ease of use if a key strength. Almost everything you do, or want to do, is very intuitive.

If you can afford the up-front cost, you're very unlikely to regret a decision to go Mac.

Thans Bozza you are star in more ways than one

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you're unsure about Mac ownership, and are unable to borrow one for a few days, then picking one up second hand is an option. If you don't get on with it, you'll get back what you paid for it.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bozza has clearly aswered all your questions. All I will add, is that it will be the best decision you have made in a long while. Of course with the exception of purchasing a ST.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Show me a man who has gone Mac and yet prefers Windows PCs and I will show you a liar.

You pay a premium for your Apple product, but you will get years of top quality service from it.

And in terms of Windows vs OSX, you'll wonder why Microsoft make their product so annoying once you've discovered how well a computer really can run under the intuitive Apple operating system

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Show me a man who has gone Mac and yet prefers Windows PCs and I will show you a liar.

You pay a premium for your Apple product, but you will get years of top quality service from it.

And in terms of Windows vs OSX, you'll wonder why Microsoft make their product so annoying once you've discovered how well a computer really can run under the intuitive Apple operating system

to use the old NSC chestnut - "this".

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Thanks all, got an iphone anyway, so I know the class of apple products, just need to be sure about a few things, to make an informed decision. There is no doubt they are expensive, but the old cliche, you pay for what you get. Think I need to pay a visit to churchill Square, upper Mall.
Can someone just clarify re flash. Assume you dont get it, so what happens on a flash based webiste. Same as iPhone
Thanks all again

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you're daft enough to try a Mac, you're daft enough to stay with it.

Ok, I'm joking, but my point is that those who benefit most from PCs, know that they don't want a Mac, so they never buy one. I can't imagine wanting a desktop Mac instead of a PC. Laptop, yes, desktop, no. But that's just my needs, Macs a perfect for a lot of people.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks all, got an iphone anyway, so I know the class of apple products, just need to be sure about a few things, to make an informed decision. There is no doubt they are expensive, but the old cliche, you pay for what you get. Think I need to pay a visit to churchill Square, upper Mall.
Can someone just clarify re flash. Assume you dont get it, so what happens on a flash based webiste. Same as iPhone
Thanks all again

Flash works perfectly without any additions. Not like the Ipad or Iphone/Pod. It all just works. Hell, if you are in HH you can come and have a go on mine. ( The MAC - Not the wife ). LOL

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm not enjoying the war between Apple and Adobe one bit as it's starting to affect my work but I wouldn't go back to a PC. Not yet anyway. One day they'll copy the best bits of Apple so well and actually provide a PC that doesnt break within a year and I'll maybe switch back. It's been 9 years though so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Flash works perfectly without any additions. Not like the Ipad or Iphone/Pod. It all just works. Hell, if you are in HH you can come and have a go on mine. ( The MAC - Not the wife ). LOL

Funny

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Hopefully HTML "Ming the Merciless" 5 will put an end to Flash anyway. But yeah, like everyone else has said, Flash stuff runs fine: it's iOS (the OS for portable devices like the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch) that doesn't run Flash. OS X (the OS for Macs, desktop and laptop) runs Flash with no problems.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
MACs are absolutely amazing, beats windows by a country mile

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i have to disagree with that. it supposes that Macs are flawless, which is certainly not true and paints anyone saying so a blind fanboi.

ive known several people who just dont like Macs. they would tend towards power users, sys admns and programmers, who just cant the Mac to work how they are used to or work to their style. having to support them i always found the nannying to be very grating, if something doesnt work, its very difficult to find a work around. of course this is also a virtue, as prying fingers cant f*** stuff up, but for some its vital. note how many Macs you will get in the server room (ie next to none). some of this is mitigated byt newer versions with the Unix under the hood too.

personally i cant past the single click, the right click context menu is such a advantagous addition to the GUI, i really dont undertand why Apple have never accepted it fully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here