Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Deus Ex Human Revolution

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Honestly I couldn't disagree more.. for me, it just keeps getting better and better, and the AI keeps throwing me gorgeous surprises. I got totally outwitted by a foe who appeared literally out of nowhere to scare the living shit out of me - my girlfriend thought I was having a heart attack when I cried out a horrified "AAAGHHH f***". He called his mates over and that was the end of that. Playing on Deus Ex mode is the only way to play!

**Spoiler starts**
I did exactly the same thing the first time Barrett reached out and grabbed me - enough to give a man nightmares and full pants.
**Spoiler ends**

I bought this a few days ago and have just racked up about 9 hours of play. I am terrible at action-based games, so play on the easiest difficulty setting, which probably affects the complexity of the AI. However I've got to say so far I'm not that impressed; it seems very similar to Alpha Protocol, which was a decent game but nothing more.

The boss fights have already been mentioned - I just emerged from the Barrett fight at the 12th time of asking. I had a stealth-based character who almost exclusively used the tranquiliser gun and the physical takedown and found it incredibly difficult; I'm just thankful that I picked up a rocket launcher on my way through the base!

The fact that the physical takedown requires a charge is quite frankly ridiculous. The most satisfying part (for me) of playing a stealth character is to sneak up behind someone and knock them out, but the charging mechanism makes it very difficult to time taking people down so that it's recharged in time for the next use.

It's strengths are the free-wheeling parts in and around Detroit (I'm just about to head off to the next hub) and I wish they'd made more of this - perhaps setting the game in one large city (GTA-esque) with all the extra scope for interactions that brings. It would also allow for random interactions, which are a much more satisfying way to get quests.

Overall, I'd say it's a good game and will certainly keep me occupied for 30-40 hours while I play through it the first time, but I'm not convinced that I'll be replaying it much.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I pwered through it last night as wanted to get if off my list of games, was up till 4am because it seemed like it took ages to reach a conclusion. I enjoyed it, there were parts I thought worked really well.

Negatives, I was thoroughly tired of hacking computers only to find spam on them by the end of the game, I get enough spam in real life. The ending and choices were a cack handed atempt at introducing multiple endings to the game. I'm not sure if previous choices had any effect apart from during the game where someone would turn up and give you grief because of something you earlier did, it seems like there were no long term repercussions from your actions in game, and at the end it was do you want ending x, y, z. There were only two hubs and both were used twice with slight differences, the environments were a bit samey except the desks got flashier draws as you progress.

Overall enjoyable but slightly dissapointing. It was definitely better package then AP but at least AP didn't take itself so seriously and choices in game actually had repercussions.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Finished it yesterday. Pretty damn good. A little short for me though, even with the extra level I got with the game. 8.5/10

Next up: Dead Island.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
looks good, will probably buy it for PC when the price drops a bit - didn't really like the first game much.

Further to this, DE:HR is available for a tenner this weekend on Steam just in case anybody is interested :thumbsup:

Edit: Other direct download platforms are also available :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here