Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Deus Ex Human Revolution

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's bloody brilliant. I've played it for about 5 hours and I'm still reasonably near the start in Detroit as I've been doing every sidequest I can find. Absolutely love it.

I'm playing it stealthily where I can but whatever action I take, you just feel like THE MAN. An example featuring very minor spoilers, is that at one point on one sidequest you have to clear out all the gang members of their apartment, without killing the leader. Strolling down the corridor towards the room, the lone guy keep watch outside started to tell me to back off when I hit a non-lethal takedown, decking him with one punch. In the room are two guys watching TV and one in the kitchen who spots me too late as I stride in and take him out with my stun gun. Sprint at the two guys and leap in the middle, taking them both down in one fell swoop. Approach the door with the leader inside - take cover, pop the door, drop in a concussion grenade and drop the stunned leader and his bodyguard with two tranq darts. Job done, and in style.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really struggled to get into this game. I don't like the character design, he's so thin and looks like a crack addict / aids victim and his voice really really grates on me. In fact, a lot of the voice acting and animations are just plain BAD (the lady you rescue from the warehouse in particular springs to mind, on and the voice acting of the dude you meet straight after). I also found the stealth system to be incredibly janky.

*spoiler*
Is is possible to stop the bomb going off in the warehouse?
*spolier*

That being said, I continued to play the last couple of days (bought it on steam and VPNed to America to unlock it early) and got quite engrossed in the storyline/world so will keep going.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I
*spoiler*
Is is possible to stop the bomb going off in the warehouse?
*spolier*

*spoilers*
Yes, if I remember rightly one of the guys in the main room has a pocket secretary with the code on it, or presumaby if you're quick enough you can hack the device before it goes off

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
*spoilers*
Yes, if I remember rightly one of the guys in the main room has a pocket secretary with the code on it, or presumaby if you're quick enough you can hack the device before it goes off

Whoops, that's why that woman who flys you about was pissed with me. I thought I had gone through the whole section quite thoroughly as well. Oh well.

It feels like it would play better as a shooter? Trying to be quite stealthy at the moment but it's pretty unforgiving.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I seem to be approaching it like Metal Gear Solid, trying to take everyone out without being spotted. Not very good at that yet though,

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
looks good, will probably buy it for PC when the price drops a bit - didn't really like the first game much.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well on the strength of this very thread I picked this game up today after the match.

BUGGER ME it's hard. I've spent the last FOUR HOURS in that f***ing warehouse, waiting ever so patiently for the tiny gaps to appear through which I can sneak.

Furthermore it really does drop you right in at the deep end from the very start. There are a few video tutorials as you go along but by and large you're on your own.

**SPOILER ALERT**
When I finally assumed control after all the intro movies I thought I'd have a look around the offices, get a feel for the place. After a little noseying about I get the big cheese over the radio telling me I've taken so long a load of hostages have been killed. WTF? I didn't know I was in a hurry. So now everyone is being all snotty with me for causing the deaths of many innocents. This isn't game over though, oh no, I've still got to sneak about this giant warehouse. I guess those dead hostages will forever be on my conscience throughout the game. What a way to start. I'd quit it and start afresh but I just can't be arsed to sit through all the intro videos again.
**SPOILER ALERT ENDS**

Anyway, I moan but I am enjoying it. I love a bit of stealth and from the looks of things this game is going to open up into something really expansive. I'm sure I've much much more to learn, let's just hope I can finally escape this bastard warehouse.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Just restarted the game myself, saved the game just after meeting Pritchard. The tutorials appear but you can just ignore them. Gone down the stealth route this time.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thank you for tagging spoilers!

**Spoilers start**
I've played about.. 20 hours? And only just at the end of the first hub (yes, seriously). I have collected every experience point, praxis point and been in every exp-earning room and read every ebook, magazine and all that jazz. Every side quest and variation on order of quests - i.e. disabling the transmitter before Pritchard tells me to, reloading and then trying it later etc. I've tried every route to infiltrate each area so far.. I am doing this properly and thoroughly! Can't wait to start the next hub, I hear Hengsha is the coolest...
**Spoilers end**

In conclusion, whilst not as good as the original game (but then, nothing ever will be, Deus Ex is surely the pinnacle of video gaming history) it is finally the worthy sequel I've been waiting for as a massive fan of the franchise. In my opinion a classic must-own 'day one' purchase for anybody who really likes seriously immersive games with a great story.

I'll write a bit more when I finish the story.

I should add I am massively biased as well - I've got the collector's edition, the novel, the shot glasses, the fabric 'bionic arm' sleeve and have the other two Kai Arts Toys figurines coming from Japan.. (Lawrence Barrett and Federova) - but they've cost me the better part of £80.....

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
he's so thin and looks like a crack addict / aids victim

:lol: but he does have a wonderfully pointy beard!

his voice really really grates on me

I'm actually quite a fan of Elias, he has a wonderful voice and his delivery is superb in my opinion. He has done something like 50 other games, cartoons and has done some decent TV work too - I saw him on Smallville the other day and he was great.

Some of the other NPC 'additional voices' are pretty naff though, don't even get me started on the 'Well sheeeeyit, Cap'n' monstocity which is borderline racist!

***Spoilers start***
I like Barrett a lot and his taunts in the fight sequence are brilliant. I like Malik and Sarif is fine too. For fans of the original, like me, there are loads of gorgeous moments like the use of Deus Ex's musical leitmotifs and cyberpunk styling (note Jensen's apartment taken directly from Bladerunner!) - it was very nice seeing a certain corporate mogul making an appearance in the opening cutscene (it sounds like the same voice actor too!).. and emails from a certain military stooge made smile - as did the email about a "so-called skull gun"!!)
***Spoilers end***

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Given up on the softly softly approach as it just takes FOREVER. Turns out if you go in guns a blazing you can get tings done a hell of a lot quicker. Doesn't seem to be any penalty for losing your patience in this way either.

Currently however I'm stuck on the first boss. I'm dead within SECONDS. This really is a bit brutal

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Given up on the softly softly approach as it just takes FOREVER. Turns out if you go in guns a blazing you can get tings done a hell of a lot quicker. Doesn't seem to be any penalty for losing your patience in this way either.

Currently however I'm stuck on the first boss. I'm dead within SECONDS. This really is a bit brutal

***More spoilers***
NPC's reactions and comments are different depending on whether a stealth/lethal/nonlethal approach is taken - this is the same throughout the whole game. Those who struggle with stealthy play in the style of MGS will favour "picking 'em off from a distance'. I do miss the ability to prod with the prod, but the stun gun is a decent alternative.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

I kept dying too as I've taken the stealth approach and haven't got any combat related augs. After a number of failed attempts to even escape him let alone fight him, I did it by launching a concussion grenade then legging it so I was a good distance away, then spent the fight throwing exploding barrels and poisonous gas canisters at him and then hiding and sprinting away from trouble when he approached. Still nearly tore me to shreds a few times though

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I kept dying too as I've taken the stealth approach and haven't got any combat related augs. After a number of failed attempts to even escape him let alone fight him, I did it by launching a concussion grenade then legging it so I was a good distance away, then spent the fight throwing exploding barrels and poisonous gas canisters at him and then hiding and sprinting away from trouble when he approached. Still nearly tore me to shreds a few times though

Cheers, I actually ended up going to Youtube for the answer however. Turns out if you have enough concussion grenades you can just keep pumping bullets into his skull whilst he's concussed. Seemed a bit excessive to need to unload 33 bullets into his head, mind. And if I hadn't stocked up on the concussion grenades I'd still be stuck there now.

It's very irritating how a game supposedly about stealth and tactics can suddenly dump you in a room with some hard as nails mentalist where stealth and careful consideration won't help you in the slightest and you simply need to continually batter this boss with everything you've got.

Also the enemy AI is frustratingly poor. You can quite easily outfox them by ducking round a corner sometimes, even if they're just a few feet in front of you, watching, when you do it.

I'm still playing on through, but it's a very flawed game and I don't think it's one I'll be recommending unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here