Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Daybreak shows us all that's wrong in this country

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Had you paid a reasonable £300 for the service to a British worker/company:

£300 notes is not ****ing reasonable for an hours work replacing a couple of tie-rod ends.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I love the Poles. Best nation and people on the planet. Very hard working, a great life attitude. We need MORE of them here.

Really? I have met quite a few some good, some bad. They do not have any higher work ethic than the Brits they just found a system to exploit and ae doing precisely that. They have no loyalty to UK, most work here for 5 years, spending **** all, putting nowt back into our economy except basic taxes, sending all their money home and then when they have saved up enough for a comfortable life back in Poland, they **** off back there. Doesn't bother me but this myth that they are the hardest working people on the planet is horseshit. When I was in security many moons ago the number of Polish shoplifters was soaring and continued to do so.

They can afford to undercut UK workers because they send all their spare cash back to their families where it seems like a fortune and they live in shared accomodation. Hard working? Come off it. In fact Brits have some of the longest working hours in Europe.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
this "not putting anything into the econmy" thing is a tad short sighted. what happens to the money not spent with the cheaper Polish builder/plumber/mechanic? do you think it just stays there in someones pocket unspent? does everyone anti-Polish worker always find the expensive service/goods to buy when they could otherwise have found elsewhere cheaper? or are we bathing in a great sea of hypocrisy and nationalism?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
this "not putting anything into the econmy" thing is a tad short sighted. what happens to the money not spent with the cheaper Polish builder/plumber/mechanic? do you think it just stays there in someones pocket unspent? does everyone anti-Polish worker always find the expensive service/goods to buy when they could otherwise have found elsewhere cheaper? or are we bathing in a great sea of hypocrisy and nationalism?

Is it me? 'cos I couldn't make any sense of that post at all.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Is it me? 'cos I couldn't make any sense of that post at all.

short version: paying a cheaper Polish worker is not bad for the economy.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No, Bold didn't say the same thing. He seemed to justify the lower price by pointing out that tax was paid on it, which seemed odd to me.

Yours is a fairer comment, but I suspect that you are not in a semi-skilled or unskilled line of work. It is these people who suffer from cheap labour. Funny that there aren't armies of middle class high-earners flooding the market place and undercutting all and sundry. Call me cynical but I believe that if there were, you'd never have seen this sort of influx being allowed in the first place.

No,I am not in a semi-skilled or unskilled line of work;I am actually retired now and can afford the time to pontificate.
Take your point re undercutting and this can certainly be a problem,more in some parts of the country than others.Trouble is that along with 'undercutting' there are a number of native traders who for years have had it all their own way and they are now facing competition.Regrettably,the innocent sometimes get hurt along with those who perhaps need some welly.
Anyway,we are where we are and my hard up daughter has just gone to a new place for her car service because it was cheaper.No idea what nationality the mechanic was,but the good news is it may save me having to sub her!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Yes it is.

so maybe it is you. try to think about whats going to happen to the money not spent on the cheaper polish worker, then you might understand. is paying a cheaper local worker to do the work bad for the economy?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
so maybe it is you. try to think about whats going to happen to the money not spent on the cheaper polish worker, then you might understand. is paying a cheaper local worker to do the work bad for the economy?

Yes, if you look at the bigger picture. Money needs to be distributed throughout the economy, high end AND low end. One of the major problems this country has is that businesses sell contracts to the lowest bidder. In many industries this goes to foreign labour as they undercut everyone. The money saved stays with a few businesses and doesn't get spread widely through th eeconomy. The money spent goes to a Polish family outside of the UK. This really is a problem.

Yes, if you look at the bigger picture. Money needs to be distributed throughout the economy, high end AND low end. One of the major problems this country has is that businesses sell contracts to the lowest bidder. In many industries this goes to foreign labour as they undercut everyone. The money saved stays with a few businesses and doesn't get spread widely through th eeconomy. The money spent goes to a Polish family outside of the UK. This really is a problem.

This case can be made much more convincingly for businesses than individuals, IMO. Large business profits are retained by shareholders, who are likely to be (on average) relatively high net worth individuals with a relatively low propensity to spend (i.e. they'll save more of their additional income), which is of no benefit to the economy. Work done for individuals on the cheap results in that money being retained by the individual customer, who may or may not have a low propensity to spend (the relevant comparison is to the 'British' i.e. expensive mechanic); you could argue that the kind of person that is going to scrimp on this kind of job is likely to have a relatively low level of income, and therefore have a high propensity to consume with the money that they've saved, but I accept that's conjecture.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agreed, and it could be one way or the other. However, money is still being paid to workers that benefits another country not our own.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed, and it could be one way or the other. However, money is still being paid to workers that benefits another country not our own.

So not unlike any of us going on holiday then....earn our money, take it aboard and spend it in a foreign country?

Or shareholders, and the wealthy having various accounts outside the country. Multi-nationals even avoiding tax in this country...

But let's concentrate on the hard working Polish mechanic who fixed a young ladies car for £200 less then a rip off British garage, who paid his taxes, and enabled someone to have their car fixed and have £200 to spend on something else. What a real problem that scenario is to the economy...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So not unlike any of us going on holiday then....earn our money, take it aboard and spend it in a foreign country?

Or shareholders, and the wealthy having various accounts outside the country. Multi-nationals even avoiding tax in this country...

But let's concentrate on the hard working Polish mechanic who fixed a young ladies car for £200 less then a rip off British garage, who paid his taxes, and enabled someone to have their car fixed and have £200 to spend on something else. What a real problem that scenario is to the economy...

Oh don't get me wrong, there are plusses, there are in many situations, as a long term economic model using semi skilled, foreign labour isn't viable for many reasons stated.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh don't get me wrong, there are plusses, there are in many situations, as a long term economic model using semi skilled, foreign labour isn't viable for many reasons stated.

An viable economical model we've had since the end of the second world war you mean?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You're attributing that to the semi-skilled migrant work force?

Not our bankers or politicians then....oh.

I attribute it to many factors. Undercutting of job costs being one of them. It all amounts to taking money out of circulation and letting it collect in the richest people's bank accounts and letting money leave the country. It's not rocket science. It's not the whole story but it's a factor. You're seeing things too simplistically, it's that group or this group. The fact is it is many groups.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
You're all right of course, brand her forehead, and put her kids in the workhouse........that'll teach them.

We've become a nation of sociopaths, picking on the easy targets whilst banksters shaft us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here