Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Daybreak shows us all that's wrong in this country

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
crikey some people seem to be missing the bigger picture

how on earth in this day and age can you say you are being responsible bringing 7 children into the mix.......its stupid irresponsible and selfish

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I asked for PROOF that there are thousands milking the system. I find it bizarre in the extreme that people are so blinkered that they refuse to see the government propaganda for what it is. IDS is in front of the committee for public standards for repeatedly lying about this very subject. Paying a living wage would slash the benefits bill

So it's actually this Government's fault and it's all propaganda?

How do you have proof that the system is NOT being milked? There are two sides to everything and I would suggest it is you who is being blinkered for not seeing the opposing view!

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Worse nation to ever step foot in the UK, I know many British tradesman who struggle to pay their mortgage and feed their families due to the Poles undercutting everyone to the point of ridiculous.

I imagine your quite happy for their kids back in Poland to receive child benefit to.

Uk tradesman should try being cheaper then, they're a rip off. Welcome to capitalism, if someone offers a lower rate tough, or are you a lefty who'd like a command economy with fixed prices?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Uk tradesman should try being cheaper then, they're a rip off. Welcome to capitalism, if someone offers a lower rate tough, or are you a lefty who'd like a command economy with fixed prices?

Needed some track rod ends changing on my daughters car, it failed the mot,
Garage that failed the mot 3 hours labour @ £48 PH plus £65 each rod(2 required)

Polish mobile mechanic(who I have used many times) 2rods £25 each, no mark up from halfords and £40 labour , job done for under a ton!!! Garage was £300.

And the polish guy gave a receipt with vat number.....

And pissed off garage owner when I took it for retest instead of my daughter!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would think the same if you were replaced by a Pole next week? clueless response

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Would think the same if you were replaced by a Pole next week? clueless response

It's not clueless, and by your response I see that you have nothing constructive to say about my point. Yeah if I was replaced by anyone I'd be annoyed but the people you are talking about could just lower their prices to compete. From what I've seen lots of tradesmen live in better houses than the rest of us they're trying to fleece! I've even had a couple admit they up their prices on postcode, this shows room for reductions if they're being priced out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's not clueless, and by your response I see that you have nothing constructive to say about my point. Yeah if I was replaced by anyone I'd be annoyed but the people you are talking about could just lower their prices to compete. From what I've seen lots of tradesmen live in better houses than the rest of us they're trying to fleece! I've even had a couple admit they up their prices on postcode, this shows room for reductions if they're being priced out.
So you lose your job to a migrant and all you would be is 'annoyed'? Wow

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Needed some track rod ends changing on my daughters car, it failed the mot,
Garage that failed the mot 3 hours labour @ £48 PH plus £65 each rod(2 required)

Polish mobile mechanic(who I have used many times) 2rods £25 each, no mark up from halfords and £40 labour , job done for under a ton!!! Garage was £300.

And the polish guy gave a receipt with vat number.....

And pissed off garage owner when I took it for retest instead of my daughter!!!
Your 100 quid has just left the country, and you wonder why the economy is screwed?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The point is, you and I could move to Poland , live there and work there now as under EU rules we are one big happy family.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The point is, you and I could move to Poland , live there and work there now as under EU rules we are one big happy family.
Perfectly correct, US, although obviously this doesn't help the poor sods working in semi-skilled or unskilled work who are being undercut by people prepared to sleep 6 to a room for 2 years away from their families, with a view to sending most of their earnings back home.

The whole issue of immigration is a can of worms. At the one end, we are seeing it play out as above. On the other hand, these migrant workers are contributing to our massive pension hole that desperately needs filling - most won't bother claiming what they've contributed to UK state pensions in 50 years time. And equally, the UK exports loads of highly skilled workers to Europe to do exactly what the Poles are doing here - if you go to the south of France for example, there are LOADS of Brits living like this.

But as usual it is the little guy who feels the impact worst of all. The people making the rules have paid little regard to them IMO. I'm fine with the EU as a concept where member states have broadly the same standards of living, but there really ought to be restrictions on the movement of labour for unskilled work for the member states where standards of living are significantly lower.

But as usual it is the little guy who feels the impact worst of all. The people making the rules have paid little regard to them IMO. I'm fine with the EU as a concept where member states have broadly the same standards of living, but there really ought to be restrictions on the movement of labour for unskilled work for the member states where standards of living are significantly lower.

This inequality between EU Member States is, IMHO, at the crux of a lot of these issues. Common benefits (predicated, as you say, on common standards of living) across Member States would remove any appeal to 'benefit migration'. A similar case can be made (to divert down an earlier tangent) around corporation tax rates; unified rates would make it much more likely that companies would declare earnings in the country in which they are made, rather than transferring them to the countries with the lowest tax rate (Luxembourg and Ireland). Instead we are in a 'union' which has a partial common monetary policy and no common fiscal policy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
crikey some people seem to be missing the bigger picture

how on earth in this day and age can you say you are being responsible bringing 7 children into the mix.......its stupid irresponsible and selfish

I'd agree with that but i'd say the same whether the woman was unemployed or not

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sadly, typical of many.
We now have generations of non-working parents. From an early age individuals are taught how to ' work the system '
How to extract every available benefit from the state. Allowances for invalidity, disabled, caring, job-seeking etc. You name it they claim it.
They are provided with accomodation for next to nothing and are happy being supported by the tax-payer.
And all the time, thousands are being employed in the public sector, ensuring that these people receive all that they are entitled to. Sometimes they need reminding that they qualify for extra allowance and the public sector are only too happy to ensure that they get this additional payment.
It makes you wonder why you work all week, employ people and pay taxes, when there are thousands out there sticking two fingers up to the rest of us.

Why not form your own opinion on this by looking at the facts instead of parroting what Tory cabinet ministers are telling you. Unemployment benefit accounted for just over 2.5% of welfare spending in 2011/12. Low income support accounted for just under 21%.

So much for the 'generations of non-working parents'.

Why not stop demonising the poor and look at irresponsible corporate welfare instead. I notice Thames Water turned over £1.8 billion last year, paid no corporation tax and took a government credit of £5 million. Their bills also rose by nearly 7% meaning the poorest are put in a worse situation when it comes to benefits.

Where's the problem here? I think I know.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Your 100 quid has just left the country, and you wonder why the economy is screwed?

Well no, assuming the above was plus VAT, HMRC would have got approx. £20 in VAT, and at least £10 in Income Tax and NI (given a receipt with VAT no. etc. was issued). £50 has gone to the supplier of the rods, £30 (less the tax) has gone into the pocket of a hard working mechanic who is saving his tax paying customers £200 a time, who have £200 more in their pocket to spend within our economy. Had he gone to Halfrauds, the extra £200 would no doubt be now in the hands of shareholders...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well no, assuming the above was including VAT, HMRC would have got approx. £17 in VAT, and at least £20 in Income Tax and NI (given a receipt with VAT no. etc. was issued). £63 has gone into the pocket of a hard working mechanic who is saving his tax paying customers £200 a time, who have £200 more in their pocket to spend within our economy. Had he gone to Halfrauds, the etc. £200 would no doubt be now in the hands of shareholders...
But we are not debating the tax raised on £100.

Or alternatively, have it your way. Had you paid a reasonable £300 for the service to a British worker/company:

HMRC would have got £51 in VAT, at least £60 in IncomeTax/NI and the rest to various British people, who in turn would have spent that £180+ in Britain, probably on British goods and services, generating even more VAT and Income Tax.

Instead, £67 of that £1000 has gone out of the country, never to be seen or spent here again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Or alternatively, have it your way. Had you paid a reasonable £300 for the service to a British worker/company:

HMRC would have got £51 in VAT, at least £60 in IncomeTax/NI and the rest to various British people, who in turn would have spent that £180+ in Britain, probably on British goods and services, generating even more VAT and Income Tax.

Instead, £67 of that £1000 has gone out of the country, never to be seen or spent here again.

What about the £200 or so that Swindonseagulls daughter has saved on her garage bill?She can now go and spend that as she pleases..........down the pub,in the shops and most likely in this country.
Mine's a large malt please!
No-one in their right mind is going to pay 3 times more for a job if they can get a good job done much cheaper.
Oh dear,just seen Bold has said much the same thing..............haven't woken up properly despite my early morning swim!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about the £200 or so that Swindonseagulls daughter has saved on her garage bill?She can now go and spend that as she pleases..........down the pub,in the shops and most likely in this country.
Mine's a large malt please!
No-one in their right mind is going to pay 3 times more for a job if they can get a good job done much cheaper.
Oh dear,just seen Bold has said much the same thing..............haven't woken up properly despite my early morning swim!
No, Bold didn't say the same thing. He seemed to justify the lower price by pointing out that tax was paid on it, which seemed odd to me.

Yours is a fairer comment, but I suspect that you are not in a semi-skilled or unskilled line of work. It is these people who suffer from cheap labour. Funny that there aren't armies of middle class high-earners flooding the market place and undercutting all and sundry. Call me cynical but I believe that if there were, you'd never have seen this sort of influx being allowed in the first place.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

How has £67 gone out? The mechanic had to buy the rods for £50!?

Halfrauds wouldn't have paid income tax/NI on that, they would pay corporation tax, and presumably they equally could have Polish staff on their books so you don't know where the rest of the money is going!?

This Polish mechanic no doubt has to buy food, goods and services here before he can send money back home. Really don't see a problem at all, meanwhile 'British' garage is trying to fleece young girl with huge mark up...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, Bold didn't say the same thing. He seemed to justify the lower price by pointing out that tax was paid on it, which seemed odd to me.

No, someone said £100 left the country, and I simply pointed out not all of it had.

Try reading the previous post someone is quoting to get the context right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here