Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Usual Yank M.O...invade a country, get the big fat contracts to rebuild it, then f*** off leaving the country in turmoil!

They'll be the end of us all I tell you!

What nonsense.
You can say this about Iraq, which was an utter disaster and full of oil. Granted, Afghanistan has been an utter disaster, but they only commodity it's got going for it is opium.
America's problem, just like Britain's, is that it can't face up to the fact that they're declining powers, and that the global legal architecture they devised 77 years is no longer fit for purpose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn’t they ( the west) train and arm both an army and Air Force with all the up to date equipment?

Do we stay there forever, getting killed and bombed ?

You might think I am ignorant, but what more could the west do? It’s not just the UK and the USA that are pulling out either a lot of countries did years ago.

There are strong suggestions that recent reports filed about the local army capabilities were ‘exaggerated’ due to pressures to pull out of the country.

Way I see it is if we go in there, bomb the shit out of a country and it’s infrastructure we don’t leave until it’s put right.

The sad thing is we’ve been the US lap dog for so long and Trump had plenty to do with the mess we have now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sleepy Joe has certainly lived up to his nickname on this one, a fairly desperate start for the President since he took office.

:nono:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The war in Afghanistan is over - Taliban, via report

The spokesman for the Taliban’s political office has told Al-Jazeera TV today that the war is over in*Afghanistan*and that the type of rule and the form of regime will be clear soon.

Reuters reports:

We assure everyone that we will provide safety for citizens and diplomatic missions. We are ready to have a dialogue with all Afghan figures and will guarantee them the necessary protection,” spokesman Mohammad Naeem told the Qatar-based channel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Which, as we know, is a lie.

The Taliban seem to have an efficient media machine these days. Only what comes out of Doha and what is happening in Afghanistan itself shows a clear disconnect.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
the Taliban came about in the mid 1990's and are local people, not the Mujahideen who were largely an Arab mercenary army. Saudis, Pakistan and Iran all involved in supporting different factions, its an Islamic plaything. and before that perpetual conflict between Islam and Sikhs.

The ideology was an import, C.I.A, and Saudi funded. Mohammed Omar was a Mujahideen fighter from Pakistan, the madrassas he recruited from, in Afghanistan and Pakistan that taught a Jihad focused and strict version of Islam were/are Saudi funded.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You can say this about Iraq, which was an utter disaster and full of oil. Granted, Afghanistan has been an utter disaster, but they only commodity it's got going for it is opium.

Only? Estimates of the value of the worldwide heroin market range from $50 billion to $100 billion. It's dwarfed by the oil industry but then's opium farmers are not spending billions on extracting and transporting the goods. Heroin and cocaine are arguably the most profitable markets in the world right now. And it's an activity that provides the Taliban with much of its funding.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Wasn't the invasion of Afghanistan in response to 9/11? Not so much strategic interests though there is a wider discussion about the justification and rationale for the invasion.

Ironically there may now be an interest in the vast lithium resources there.This vital for mobile phone production. I expect a Chinese offer soon whereby they'll build some nice roads etc in exchange for mining deeds.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I suppose the Masons (despite the failures of their CIA organisation) got their deal with the Talibans - probably with a mutual feeling that it wasnt a day too late. The Talibans get to rule Afghanistan and their leaders will be very rich, while the Masonic powers that be get their profit from the drug trade. If they are lucky, the Talibans will honor this agreement, unlike the last time when Mohammed Omar decided to end the opium production in Afghanistan - requiring intervention from the powers that be. As long as opium is produced by people who wont demand to be paid, turned into profit by those who make profit from everything in this world, and then ending up in the vains of people who might have otherwised voiced their dissatisfaction with this world, "everyone" will be happy. Break that chain and the powers that be will be there to save the day as usual.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Sleepy Joe has certainly lived up to his nickname on this one, a fairly desperate start for the President since he took office.

:nono:

Biden carrying the can for a 20 year war with an agreement signed by Trump for all US troops to be withdrawn, having only been in office 6 months seems a little trite, if not outright populism.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Biden carrying the can for a 20 year war with an agreement signed by Trump for all US troops to be withdrawn, having only been in office 6 months seems a little trite, if not outright populism.

This human tragedy and the atrocities we will see in the coming days are the work of Bush and Blair.
15a050839ff4ee0e1a30a38a2fbdc43d.jpg

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
This human tragedy and the atrocities we will see in the coming days are the work of Bush and Blair.
15a050839ff4ee0e1a30a38a2fbdc43d.jpg
Couldn't agree with you more.
I remember seeing John Reed who was Defence Minister at the time saying we hope to shoot not one bullet in anger in Afghanistan as he announced troops were being sent over there.

I was one of the lucky parents as my lad done two tours of the place and came back in one piece.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been following this on social media but there is some lad from Loughborough Uni who went to Afghanistan on a ‘extreme holiday’ and is caught up in this. Wasn’t sure it’s real but looks like it is now, hope he gets out safe but going to have a few issues with U.K. Secret Services & getting into the US any time soon

https://youtu.be/qOaTwo7FfEU

https://www.facebook.com/miles.routledge - looks like he took his pictures down for security reasons

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/bi...4IwhN01U6sx0Nqa5LIw0NVL4lDLtgfAJp6mPUFoOI-kxk

This guy sounds like a seriously screwed up individual.

When I backpacked in 90's you often meet people like this on the road, so up themselves, he is now a total liability

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been following this on social media but there is some lad from Loughborough Uni who went to Afghanistan on a ‘extreme holiday’ and is caught up in this. Wasn’t sure it’s real but looks like it is now, hope he gets out safe but going to have a few issues with U.K. Secret Services & getting into the US any time soon

https://youtu.be/qOaTwo7FfEU

https://www.facebook.com/miles.routledge - looks like he took his pictures down for security reasons

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/bi...4IwhN01U6sx0Nqa5LIw0NVL4lDLtgfAJp6mPUFoOI-kxk

This guy sounds like a seriously screwed up individual.

When I backpacked in 90's you often meet people like this on the road, so up themselves, he is now a total liability

His FB page is unbelievable

https://www.facebook.com/miles.routledge

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
What nonsense.
America's problem, just like Britain's, is that it can't face up to the fact that they're declining powers, and that the global legal architecture they devised 77 years is no longer fit for purpose.

I was simplifying things a little tbh. But do check out what companies rebuilt Iraq after the invasion, pretty intetesting stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here