Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Baby Monitors

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hi

We bought this one:
BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Baby

and it's been excellent. Clear sound, but best of all you can turn the sensitivity right down so only the really loud screams get through and the chatter and general gurgling is cut out. It's got a pretty decent range as well and the light on the top that tells you if it's linked with the base station is handy.

Yes - We got this one although they sent us the 250 instead (mothercare I think) and only charged us for the 150. Very good model, though we don't really use the features much - she sleeps right through!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
We went for the Tomy video one with night vision. Has been excellent since we started using it. Is fairly pricey though and I have to say, if going for another one, I'd just go for a sound detection one which is quite a bit cheaper.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
We went for the Tomy video one with night vision. Has been excellent since we started using it. Is fairly pricey though and I have to say, if going for another one, I'd just go for a sound detection one which is quite a bit cheaper.

Agreed - all this video camera faff is profiteering from people's paranoia. We bought an expensive one for baby number one, it broke when number 2 was 9 months old and we didn't replace it and we are seriously considering not bothering with one when number 3 arrives in a couple of months time and to rely upon good old fashioned human senses to gauge temperature and sound.

I understand buying one for your own piece of mind (as we did) but it became clear to us that we had overspent and wasted money. I would get a basic model and not get tempted by expensive, but essentially unnecessary, gadgets and gizmos.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Agreed - all this video camera faff is profiteering from people's paranoia. We bought an expensive one for baby number one, it broke when number 2 was 9 months old and we didn't replace it and we are seriously considering not bothering with one when number 3 arrives in a couple of months time and to rely upon good old fashioned human senses to gauge temperature and sound.

I understand buying one for your own piece of mind (as we did) but it became clear to us that we had overspent and wasted money. I would get a basic model and not get tempted by expensive, but essentially unnecessary, gadgets and gizmos.

That is so true about so many things. I reckon half the stuff we've bought for baby number one will never get used for future additions (if we have any). Just massively over-paranoid for the first one

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Look for one that if the baby cries you can switch it off. Not PC I know but at least you get to relax LOL....... On a serious note Good Luck in the addition to your family, a better feeling in life is quite simply impossible, but above all else enjoy him/her !!

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Thanks for all your input folks. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that the gizmos are fairly unnecessary - you have certainly narrowed down the choices for me very nicely indeed.

NSC - a really useful website!

:thumbsup:

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Thanks for all your input folks. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that the gizmos are fairly unnecessary - you have certainly narrowed down the choices for me very nicely indeed.

NSC - a really useful website!

:thumbsup:

Not probs, Congrats and good luck. Best feeling in the world

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Not probs, Congrats and good luck. Best feeling in the world

Yeah good luck mate. I echo the sentiments above.

Took my little one to Whitehawk freindly the other week. Liked watching the players running about for all of 5 mins ,cried when we scored the first and then had a delayed reaction of about 30 secs before he clapped the 2nd goal. (byt which point everyone else had finished)

Unless the Amex has grassy banks he can run about on for 45 mins i dont think he will be going again for another 4-5 years - mind you cant be many that go to their first game at 1 and 1/2 years old

phoenix

May 18, 2009
We brought a baby monitor with a sensor mat that detects movement like baby breathing, It is fitted with an alarm which will go off if there is no movement for about 40s. Also has a light fitted, We slept much better knowing if anything happened we would know about it due to the sensor mat. Prices from about £60.

My Dughter was born with a serious Heart Condition, We purchased one of these after about 3 months.The best £99 (at the time) ever spent.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
my first baby is due on Saturday! we have bought one of the Phillips Avent ones with a temp monitor, decided against camera/sensor mat etc as thought we would get a bit obsessed with it....glad others have reviewed it well.

Good luck Curious Orange!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Blimey, with Albion fans being this prolific in the reproduction department we will need more than just the second tier and corners filling in!

Great tip about the alzheimers too...all the very best to those about to render sleep a thing of the past!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully baby monitor technology has moved on, but in the mid-eighties, our baby monitor used to be on the same frequency as the local taxi company.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We had this one (still do somewhere in the loft I think!)... BT Digital Baby Monitor

BT Digital Baby Monitor Plus: Amazon.co.uk: Baby

Its done a fine job and the most important feature for us when he was little was the temperature to keep his room cool as he suffers from croup.

Spose I could have had the sensor and camera but its a trifle OTT but then cot death is a very very real and sad problem.

The only word of warning I'd say is check none of your neighbours have the same one, similar to Tom Hark above but my sister bought a new one (don't think it was digital) and the first night they had it thought that they had a ghost baby screaming in the house - turns out it was picking up the new baby's monitor in the house behind them! :)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only word of warning I'd say is check none of your neighbours have the same one, similar to Tom Hark above but my sister bought a new one (don't think it was digital) and the first night they had it thought that they had a ghost baby screaming in the house - turns out it was picking up the new baby's monitor in the house behind them! :)

My brother and his wife had this problem when their daughter was a baby, they live in a fairly small village and at least one other family had the same monitor as they did...at times you could hear the so called phantom baby, which was quite odd when theirs was in the same room as you were, there were also spurious voices and a range of other noises...probably best leaving it at that!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hi

We bought this one:

and it's been excellent. Clear sound, but best of all you can turn the sensitivity right down so only the really loud screams get through and the chatter and general gurgling is cut out. It's got a pretty decent range as well and the light on the top that tells you if it's linked with the base station is handy.

This. We had a much more expensive model before which was totally flawed. This one is great.

Hi

We bought this one:

yep def best one...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another vote for the BT150. We got it from CostCo, which was the cheapest deal we found.

Agree with comments about 'over-speccing'. Movement mats and videocams all a bit much IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here