Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Auschwitz

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
For instance, Primo Levi's books (there's a sequel to If this is a Man called, I think, The Truce, which describes the aftermath of the war) are as horrifying as they are insightful.

The version that I have of "If this is a man" is a double volume with "the journey" about his return to Italy, which is a bloody good read on its own. It was an odd experience to read that, after the recollection of his time in Auschwitz, in the knowledge that whatever he came up against he survived. I have to say that the work of Levi has left a longer lasting impression on me than just about anything I have read in my life, in fact I would describe it as a truly humbling experience.

Jan 30, 2008
Some years ago I spoke to David Irving (not out of choice) who told me that Auschwitz was only a slave labour camp. He really believed it and shouted me down when I tried to argue with him.
some parts were , but to say there were no gas chambers is a disgrace

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
you're right, got confused because there's a sephardic memorial there.

A lot of Sepahardic Jews expelled from Spain after the reconquista settled in Salonica in Greece where they formed an important part of the cities population until the Nazi's occupied the city. They were all deported to the concentration camps and very few returned. Those that did found like Jews in many other places in Europe, that they were unable to reclaim their old homes and businesses. Today there are only a few hundred jews in Salonica, in 1939 there were over 50 thousand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here