Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Amir Khan

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Khan is clutching at straws, he is clearly not as good as he thinks he is and should accept that he lost and move on. He is embarassing himself with this rubbish.

To even think he should consider getting in the ring in the near future with Floyd Mayweather is a joke, he would get destroyed!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm no Amir Khan fan - think his been protected throughout his career but I had him winning the fight albeit a very tight decision. The pictures are quite worrying and the Washington DC boxing board need to investigate and explain ASAP.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I'm no Amir Khan fan - think his been protected throughout his career but I had him winning the fight albeit a very tight decision. The pictures are quite worrying and the Washington DC boxing board need to investigate and explain ASAP.

Khan fought a bad tactical fight that night and he needs to learn from it. Floyd Mayweather would eat him for brekkie at the moment BUT the pictures and video footage is bad for boxing. Its implications should not be underestimated if proved true.

The adjudication in boxing is so dodgy in the US especially.
The likes of Don King are just a mafia - why should anyone believe there isn't one fixing sports now?

Watching the Neil Warnock rant about Barton's dismissal, I feel he has a point about football refereeing - it's getting worse than ever now, inconsistent and with refs putting personal things or 'leanings' into their judgments. If I watch a match on tv between two teams I have no affiliations or regards about, I will tend to lean towards wanting one side to win over the other, as the game goes on. However I don't want the ref to develop any such leanings!! They are supposed to be fair and impartial throughout, and have a standard in ruling that is consistent.....but they often don't.

It's even become unreliable in Olympic events too, and almost on a par with Eurovision Song Contests.

I know there are betting people on NSC, but I really don't know why you do it based on the unreliable nature of sports judging.

Not being a boxing expert I was at first sceptical of Khans appeal, but after seeing the pictures of this "unknown" guy at ringside talking to and passing notes to the supervisor, who is not allowed any contact written or verbal during the fight with a 3rd party there does seem to be a bit of Jiggery pokery going on.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
From the start I'm been very dismissive of Khans appeal, but the more I hear, the more the whole event does seem to smell a bit fishy.

Last round point deductions are always controversial, and the home fighter got it, and won a narrow points decision. It happens.
Ok, the deduction (both actually) were for "pushing", hmm, a bit soft that. As Hatton was fond of saying, it's boxing, it gets rough, it's not a tickling contest.
Hmm, and maybe he was unlucky to miss out on a knockdown in the 1st round, but all of this just seemed pretty standard.
Then I hear the referee was from the "Washington area", and wasn't exactly a prominant ref, so it's not as if they regard him so highly as to ignore this. But even so, both camps get to protest about officials, prior to the fight, and I heard precious little, so again, big deal.
It was a little strange the result took so long to calculate / announce (10 mins!), but that is because it was so close, they need to be 100% sure the cards are added right. Seems strange from the outside, but you watch boxing and decisions that take a long time to announce are generally close, and split, decisions.

But now this ... a mystery man hanging around the judges and supervisor, handling the scorecards, which in the case of the WBA were amended (that's not as rare as you may think) and in the case of the IBF, their cards are "missing" apparently. Hmm.

Yes, it was a very close fight, and in those circumstances, the "home" fighter does often get the decision.
Yes, the deductions were harsh, especially the 12th round, but it happens.
Yes, it's unfortunate that with each points deduction it move the result for Khan from Win to Draw to Loss, but that's close fights for you.
Yes, they probably ARE making a fuss to get a "mandatory defence" out of at least one of the giverning bodies.

But with the photos of this "mystery man" I am starting to wonder whether I dismissed Khans case a bit too quickly. There is starting to be a lot that is a bit fishy about this one.

Stumpy Tim

The president of WBA has come out saying there should be a rematch. That's a scathing reflection on what's happened. There is clearly something in this. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial fight is annulled

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
WBA wants a rematch, if ya read the story even the judge had no idea who the man was and said he could not watch the fight correctly he told the local boxing authority this and was ignored.

The WBA also said that it has no knowledge of the man's identity, while Mendoza added that Welsh was ignored when he raised concerns about the individual at ringside.

"Welsh was concerned about the gentleman being around him and couldn't get the coordination to do his job properly during the fight," said Mendoza. "He said he was totally ignored by the commission in Washington."

BBC Sport - Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson should have rematch, says WBA chief

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
i remember the argument over one of the scorecards being changed for the seventh round. one of the judges gave it to khan 10-8, it was obvious that there was a mistake as khan had been docked a point for pushing. going on the fact that peterson got a 10, i assume he would have won the round 10-9, with the point taken off it would have been 10-8. the crossing out was simply because it had been put in the wrong columns. having watched the fight itself i felt khan may have edged the fight but got his tactics badly wrong. he got drawn into a battle when he should have kept the opponent at arms length. in all fairness to the ref, he was constantly telling khan to stop pushing and it was no surprise to me when he got docked the points

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Khan lost the fight simply because the ref told him countless times to stop pushing Peterson's head down... He kept doing it and quite rightly was deducted points.

He was probably a round ahead but lost two rounds from points deduction.

Dodgy men with hats are irrelevant !

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Cocky arrogant bad loser with cliche Asian chip on his shoulder. Take the defeat like a man and go forward and learn from it please.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
If the rules clearly state that judges cannot engage or speak to anyone during the fight then they have clearly broken those rules and surely they have to scrap the result of the game??

Albion Rob

I think Khan fought the wrong fight and it left the result a lot closer than it ought to have been. Whatever happens, anullment or whatever, he needs to fight Peterson again, probably in Vegas on MSG.

I agree about the deductions, he definitely got a lot of warnings but then again Peterson was coming in low a lot so he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing there.

Regardless of how he should have put Peterson away (and I've seen a lot of pundits say Peterson will never fight as well again in his life) the thing needs to be fair. The refereeing issue is contentious but at the end of the day it was out there and he can't really grumble too much but all ther skullduggerry with the scorecards seems very dodgy and needs to be looked at properly.

Interesting also how a fight like that does Khan's earning potential no harm - an exciting battle during which Khan could have KO'd or been KO'd at any point. Like him or not he's good box office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here