Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O.K, Crystal Palarse question...

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Brighton have won a major trophy (Charity Shield) the palace have not.

We got to the cup final and they followed us a few yaers later.

We played attacking football with Peter Ward, they were proud of their defence.

Brighton are an older club and run out to Sussex by the sea, the song of regimental band of the Royal Sussex regiment, a song people went into battle singing. Palace run out to glad all over a naff 1970s song, and they play it when they score.

Palace are plastic stripey nigel train spotters from er croydon, a town like watfod on the edge of london. We are a regional club with fans from all over the county, from the docks of newhaven, to the country, to the city itself.

We took 7,000 up to them when they beat us 5-0 and well, they said the trains were not working for the rematch ;-)

You are in cuckoo land.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
You really are a prick. You might have been to Selhurst, but you big it up so much that I bet you was the first to run. I bet there were 10 year olds braver than you.

Tosser.

No mate seriously, it must be tough when the trains are having a sunday service. really doesnt make you glad all over does it. having a major trophy does tho.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ron Challis - still a **** , until the day he dies. I had the photo of Mullers from the Argus on the back of my Biology textbook at school.

Ron Challis died in 2001 - he wasn't mourned much by Brighton. I've generally been philosophical about refs but I was seething about Challis when we left Stamford Bridge that night and I never forgave him.

I think he only reffed one more Brighton game after that - it was at the Goldstone a few years later and got such grief that the FL kept him away from us after that.

think he missed this latest btn / palace spat was started by a swansea fan!

leaving aside our local difficulty i assume we all hate cardiff

It's difficult for me to compare as I can only comment on the real hatred that Swans v Cardiff brings out - but I think the replies on here have given me a flavour.

At least you'll all be backing Swansea twice this season :thumbsup:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Have you ever been to Croydon? What's not to hate?

On a more historical note and in an attempt to answer your question, we came to play them regularly from about 1975 onwards. We were promoted through the divisions (3-2-1) at the same time, so we wound up playing them year after year at a time (often competing with them for promotion) when hooliganism was at all time high and so fights at each game were rife.

The real ignition point was a series of FA Cup matches in 1975/6 with some controversial incidents that sparked more rivalry between the managers as well as the fans (Brighton manager at the time, Alan Mullery, famously dismissing the palace fans as not being worth £5 which he threw on the ground).

As the 80s carried on, Palace fell away whilst we reached the cup final, but the tables turned in the mid-late 80s as they found more consistency and we fell away (although they still struggled to beat us at the Goldstone). This was a source of frustration for their fans.

In the 90s of course, we have rarely played them, but the rivalry had already lasted two decades and so has not died easily.

For me, aside from all of the above, it the respective morals of Brighton and Palace can be shown by the fact that we have always sought to pay our debts and lost our stadium in the process, whilst Palace spunked £30m on players chasing the big time and then welshed on the debt, whilst retaining their league status without penalty. Bloomin typical.

There was sadly a darker side, I went to a Boxing Day game at Selhurst around 1981 (I think), Albion won 1-0 but after the game an Albion fan was knifed and I think died as a result. I don't think the "Palace burning song" was heard before then.

I actually got back to Brighton on an Albion supporters' coach, as I lived in Eastbourne and there were (and are) no trains on Boxing Day, stupidly. I didn't exactly make myself conspicuous. I remember the Bill came on the coach asking our names and addresses, Walt Disney characters seemed to figure quite highly...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
While we're digging out the old stuff, let's enjoy this one as well.

Attila's tribute to Paul Hardcastle ...

Schadenfreude: noun malicious pleasure in the misfortunes of others. 19c: German. from Schade hurt and Freude joy (Chambers 21st Century Dictionary)

Remember Paul Hardcastle's crap disco hit 'N-n-n-nineteen..?'

N-N-N-NINE NIL (The Paul Hardcastle Remix!)

Tuesday September 8th 1989 began like any other day in the footballing calendar, with newly-discovered Team of the 80s, Crystal Palace, travelling to Anfield to test their Colditz-like defensive qualities and mesmerising attacking skills against the sacrificial lemmings of Liverpool. Now football is a funny game, as the utterly retarded cliche goes, and on this particular evening it proved to be a very funny game indeed, in fact a positively hilarious, side-splittingly humourous one, even more mirth-inducing than David Beckham trying to define existentialism or Bill Archer attempting coitus with a paper-shredding machine. For while Palace's much-feared rivals Brighton and Hove Albion were thrashing Wolverhampton Wanderers 4-2, at Anfield the final score was Liverpool 9, Crystal Palace 0. Liverpool 9, Crystal Palace 0. N-n-n-nine nil, nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil, nine nil. And following those fateful n-n-n-ninety minutes on that hilarious Tuesday night the hapless halibuts from Selhurst Park were subjected to fierce and merciless ridicule from the rest of the football world and many of them are still living out their experiences to this day. Even now the South London branch of the Samaritans receive mysterious phone calls where the only audible sounds are donkey-like voices braying bewilderedly 'Nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil. Ee-aw! Nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil. Ee-aw! And when the Palace players got home, obviously in need of moral support and counselling following their torrid n-n-n-nine nil experience, none of them received a hero's welcome. None of them. None of them received a hero's welcome. N-n-n-none of them. The long term effects of such an unbelievable n-n-n-nine nil annihilation are hard to predict, but it seems likely that many of the Crystal Palace squad may have been be so demoralised that they may have been forced to leave professional football and sign on. S-s-s-sign on. Sign on. S-s-s-sign on. S-s-s-sign on, sign on. S-s-s-sign on, sign on. A worse fate even than this may well have befallen the Palace goalkeeper Perry Suckling, a man who, rather like the Queen Mother, wears gloves for no apparent reason, for his intense feelings of humiliation may well have led him to emigrate, and sign on in Vietnam. V-v-v-Vietnam. S-s-s-sign on. V-v-v-Vietnam. S-s-s-sign on...........(repeat ad nauseam)

Err...until we beat them 4-3 in the FA cup semi-final the following Spring, Lord B.
Actually I thought Suckers was promptly given the boot but we didn't actually get Nigel Martyn, future star of Leeds and England - or should have been more often - for about another month.

Can someone tell me a Brighton keeper who ever amounted to much? Didn't you sell one of your better ones, Mark Beeney to Leeds to pay the rent once? And how many times exactly did HE even play for Leeds?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can someone tell me a Brighton keeper who ever amounted to much? Didn't you sell one of your better ones, Mark Beeney to Leeds to pay the rent once? And how many times exactly did HE even play for Leeds?

Beeney played 35 times for Leeds, his younger sister, Sarah, is a TV presenter. He is now a goalkeeping coach at Chelsea.

I think your recollection of an Albion fan being knifed to death is incorrect though.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Beeney played 35 times for Leeds, his younger sister, Sarah, is a TV presenter. He is now a goalkeeping coach at Chelsea.

I think your recollection of an Albion fan being knifed to death is incorrect though.

I'm prety sure that something bad happened, but of course my memory's going now I'm over 60...
what happened to Beeney after Leeds? Wasn't the fee £300k right at the end of a season?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm prety sure that something bad happened, but of course my memory's going now I'm over 60...
what happened to Beeney after Leeds? Wasn't the fee £300k right at the end of a season?

We had a winding up order, and the day before it went to court sold Beeney to Leeds to pay off tax debts. Howard Wilkinson went up hugely in my estimation for that.

I am 100% certain that no one died at Selhurst that day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

And Eric Steele is goalkeeping coach at Manchester United. Two ex Albion keepers coaching two of the top 3 teams in England..impressive or what?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Err...until we beat them 4-3 in the FA cup semi-final the following Spring, Lord B.
Actually I thought Suckers was promptly given the boot but we didn't actually get Nigel Martyn, future star of Leeds and England - or should have been more often - for about another month.

We've had some decent goalies down the years Moseley, Corrigan, Steele, Keeley and Roberts come to mind, but as yet no internationals.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
And Eric Steele is goalkeeping coach at Manchester United. Two ex Albion keepers coaching two of the top 3 teams in England..impressive or what?
Keeley is Portsmouth's gk coach, so he looks after David James.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here