Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nzuzi Toko SIGNS

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'd rather Nzuzi than Owen or Cole! He was rated £1.76m a couple of years ago, played 33 times last season, fills the gap of Bridcutt and could COULD be the answer to our wafer thin midfield problems as he's fast and strong. How could you not be excited?

Don't get me wrong, I am very much. When United won the European Cup they had The Soul Brothers (Yorke and Cole). With Kaz and Toko in our squad the European Super Cup is only a couple of seasons away from taking its rightful place in the Amex trophy cabinet.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Think ile wait until i see him play before promising him my undying love , Youtube somehow managed to make Rodriguez look good , so the old saying of the camera does not lie seems to have been a bit of a old wives tale .

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
??
Ince, Crofts, Stephens, Kemy and our new u21 England midfielder JFC. Quite a strong line up of (defensive) midfielders to join i'd say.

I don't rate JFC, Andrews (last year) and an absent Kemy as being strong. Ince, Stephens, Toko and Crofts (if he comes back the same) are strong. Anyway, if all are fit and actually ready for selection I'll be happy.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I think the reason JFCs form tailed off was due to Andrews (bare with me). KA spent every game haring around chasing the ball and closing down the defence/holding midfielder. But, he never actually won it or pressed with others in a group, he just repeatedly took himself out of the game by sprinting at a centre back who'd knock it past him to a midfielder and suddenly he's 40 yards out of position. As a result JFC was having to sit deeper to cover, in the mix of big tackles and battling, which isn't his game. Early in the season he was the 1 in our 4213, getting into the box for cut backs or popping up in the hole a la Lampard/Gerrard. IMO Toko could be a new lease of life for JFC, releasing him to get further forward.

Deep lying, ball-winning midfielder: Toko/Ince
Box to box: Stephens/Crofts
Creative number 10: JFC/Agustien (or his replacement if he goes).

Looks well balanced to me.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion’s latest addition Toko Nzuzi says he turned down Champions League football because he wants to experience English football and feels the Albion is a club heading in the right direction.

The 23-year-old admitted that it was hard to leave Grasshopper Zurich, a club who've qualified for next season's Champions League, and one he had been with for over a decade, but he is convinced that he has made the right move.

He told seagulls.co.uk, “I had other options in Turkey and Italy, but I've always liked English football. It was a dream ever since I was a child to play in England, and for me, Brighton & Hove Albion is a club of the future and this is why I made the decision.

"I’ve been at Zurich for more than 12 years, so it’s a very long time and it was very hard as I have a lot of friends there. My relationship with the fans was very close. It was very hard in the last game; it was emotional for me.

“It’s the first time I have left a club, I have never changed a club before, but it’s a new challenge here at Brighton and one I am looking forward to. I’m very thankful to be here and I hope that one day we can play in the Premier League.

“I was here before to see the training ground and the stadium and I could see the history of the club and with the new stadium and training ground, it’s an exciting future. It’s very organised and I’m very proud to be a part of it. I am sure it’s going to be a good few years."

Albion’s new signing spoke of how much the Zurich faithful meant to him and how he would love to have the same connection at the Amex.

He told seagulls.co.uk, “I have a very good relationship with the fans at Zurich and when I left they were very supportive. I have received very positive messages from everyone, wishing me good luck and inviting me to one day come back.

“The fans were behind me when I was younger and I’m very thankful to the supporters at Grasshoppers.

“I always try to do my best on the pitch and I hope that the fans here like me like they did in Zurich. It will be fantastic if the fans are like those at Zurich.

"A big game in Switzerland, like a derby, you might get 6 or 7,000 fans but here, when it’s a big game, there is a very big difference. People are talking about football wherever you go and this is what I like.”

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well he certainly ticks the saying all the right things box. A very decent start to the off season. Now if we can only get someone to manage him.....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If this is a SIGN of our AMBITION and the standard of players we are SIGNING then I'm going LARGE on us being RELEGATED. My SWISS pal WALTER says he MAKES Andrews look like GERRARD

ENREST's friend WALTER (the Softie) yesterday:

swisscheese.jpg

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not for me he wont, hes behind, Stephens, Ince, JFC and Toko, in my opinion.

Should get down to Specsavers dude......Crofts was running the show until his injury, his absence a major contribution to our average midfield/attacking performances in the 2nd half of the season. JFC just doesn't have the awareness or goal threat.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Just one more attacking midfielder and our midfield is complete. (guessing the next manager is playing 5 in the middle)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If Crofts is fit he is first on the team sheet, so where will Swiss Billy play ?

Instead of JFC or Ince.....I believe he is an Essien type player.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Should get down to Specsavers dude......Crofts was running the show until his injury, his absence a major contribution to our average midfield/attacking performances in the 2nd half of the season. JFC just doesn't have the awareness or goal threat.

Crofts was having " one of those seasons " in front of goal before his injury, he certainly puts a shift in I will give him that, but he cant pass, cant control a ball and his all round game is not as good as all our other central midfield options

I bet JFC goal ratio is better than Crofts. And he will get better and better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here