Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nurofen

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Its emporers new clothes. The one I like is HDMI leads that connect your TV to your satellite/digi box thingy. As its digital, it either works or it doesnt - there is no middle ground. You can pay £80 for one of these, but a £2.99 lead from Tesco works just as well. However, some 'reviewers' swear blind that they see and hear a better quality from the £80 lead and those who cant tell the difference dont have quite the same refined ears/eyes as the reviewer, even though its technically impossible for there to be a difference.

That'll be the "gold plated" conections work better myth then? Never mind that all the wiring inside the boxes is steel or copper ....

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I bought a telly over the weekend and they were trying to push 'high speed cables'. Tried to explain that the new ones were HDMI 1.4 and stuff, he didn't take kindly to my very technical explanations and didn't have an answer as to why different USB cables on different computers still pull identical images off a digital camera...

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Its emporers new clothes. The one I like is HDMI leads that connect your TV to your satellite/digi box thingy. As its digital, it either works or it doesnt - there is no middle ground. You can pay £80 for one of these, but a £2.99 lead from Tesco works just as well. However, some 'reviewers' swear blind that they see and hear a better quality from the £80 lead and those who cant tell the difference dont have quite the same refined ears/eyes as the reviewer, even though its technically impossible for there to be a difference.

As you say either works or it doesnt. I have a projector 8 metres from the blu-ray and purchased a 35 quid 10m lead (as I had heard buying expensive leads is a con) but it did not work, swapped for a 80 quid 10m lead and works perfectly fine.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Selling ibuprofen for 35p probably gives them a 100% profit margin.

Sainsburys far prefer to make a lot more money than 100% margin on 35p, it takes a lot of 17.5p's to pay their shareholders, more like the 300-400% they make on other goods, which sell at a higher price, but hey, if it grets you going into their shop to buy ibuprofen for 35p, then that's what it's all about.

If you read the reviews where they endevour to technically explain the differences it does make a bit more sense. Something along the lines of all those 1s and 0s going down a poor quality cable, some of them get lost, not necessarily obvious if your telly is poor, or if you don't have an eye for it, but with the better quality cables, fewr 1s and 0s are lost in transport, and so the picture is better. I have HDMI running all through my house, probably around 45 metres of it running to 4 rooms, and with an amplifier to boost the signal. That cable has to be of a certain quality, as do the connectors and the amplifier, otherwise the signal gets degraded, blocky and lost during transit, so there must be something in it.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I can confirm Sainsbury's do coated ibuprofen. Just purchased 16 of them for 41p. I'm happy spending that extra 6 pence for the sugary coating to help it down.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
can't take anything with "fen" in its name if you are taking warfarin.....something to do with the liver seemly and could be serious!

Its a right bugger if you get get joint pain....paracetamol doesnt do it!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The independant newsagent/shit minimart type shop next to The Palmeira pub sells Sainsbury's branded packets of painkillers with one of the 2 blisterpacks missing. Sainsbury's price: 37p Ripoff shop next to Palmeira's price for same Sainsbury's painkillers: 1.99

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
.. Something along the lines of all those 1s and 0s going down a poor quality cable, some of them get lost, not necessarily obvious if your telly is poor, or if you don't have an eye for it, but with the better quality cables, fewr 1s and 0s are lost in transport, and so the picture is better. I have HDMI running all through my house, probably around 45 metres of it running to 4 rooms, and with an amplifier to boost the signal. That cable has to be of a certain quality, as do the connectors and the amplifier, otherwise the signal gets degraded, blocky and lost during transit, so there must be something in it.

To use a technical term, thats total bollox. You have been done up like a kipper.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
As you say either works or it doesnt. I have a projector 8 metres from the blu-ray and purchased a 35 quid 10m lead (as I had heard buying expensive leads is a con) but it did not work, swapped for a 80 quid 10m lead and works perfectly fine.
Oh well, thats irrefutable proof then.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Why do you think Sainsburys sell it so low? They only do things that make them money, selling ibuprofen for 35p makes them nothing, so there must be an alterior motive. A bit like selling booze for next to no margin, becasue it gets you in the store, and then there is the possibility you might buy other things that make them the money.

Ibuprofen costs next to nothing to manufacture, they make profit on it when it's still 35p.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
And they had the audacity to bring out nurofen plus, ibuprofen with a hint of codeine, genius.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tried Nurofen a few years ago when I had a splitting headache and got a panic attack after I'd taken them. Maybe it was the caffeine or some allergy but I just stick to Anadin now which are the best.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
And they had the audacity to bring out nurofen plus, ibuprofen with a hint of codeine, genius.

which I think will get you banged up for drug smuggling in certain Middle East countries (incl UAE)

Codeine a big no-no

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Lemsips and Beechams are another rip off where you can get exactly the same under the tesco or Asda name for a third of the price

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I've always been of the mind that supermarket brand pain killers are in some way inferior to brands like Nurofen and won't work. And as others have said on here I've almost certainly been a mug. My wife suffers from migrain and has always taken Nurofen, but she now buys Tesco Ibruptofen at a fraction of the cost.
Just out of interest, has there ever been an experiment to test out the difference scientifically.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"Just out of interest, has there ever been an experiment to test out the difference scientifically".

No, because they've all get the same stuff in 'em!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When I had a bad back last year the doc advised me to take double dose of ibruprofen; the normal ones are 200mg and the "plus" ones are 400 mg; I was on 2x400 4 times a day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That'll be the "gold plated" conections work better myth then? Never mind that all the wiring inside the boxes is steel or copper ....

it does make some difference for analogue, as the connector is a weak spot so to say in the link, anything to improve the conductivity will help.

Oh well, thats irrefutable proof then.

ah... he has a point there. the digital is on/off is true up to a point, and that point is usually where you have longer cabling. with a poor quality cable you will possibly see artifacts on the screen where bits are being lost, bit like seeing blocks or jumps of picture on poor digital signal thats *just* enough, or when the weather interferes. the possiblity of this increases dramatically with cable length, so for longer runs it does become more of a potential issue. if your buying a 2m HDMI cable to go from DVR to Tellbox, then a £5 will do the same job as a £50 one. if your running 10m i would probably want to spend that bit more. the biggest rip off in cableing right now is fancy ethernet cables, i saw one in Tescos all branded and purple for £80, while they had a more standard packaged one for a little under £10. even thats expensive to one from a IT shop where it'll be £3-4. so basically £75 for the cable to be purple.

back to the drugs, one difference is the branded products often have something extra in them, for ex. Anadin has some caffeine. that might make a difference to some. theres a big placebo effect too, i buy anadin at £1 rather than asprin at 16p "just in case" the cheper one might not work as well. totally irrational, but i've just always had anadin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here