Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number of Deaths

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Look at the rise and fall, very hard to declare that there is a definite trend of decline in numbers, lots of peaks and troughs. look at April 26th/ 27th, deaths back up again by some margin since then, it's NOT that simple.

26th and 27th not sure but isnt that the dates care home deaths were added in one hit

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes it is. Look at this chart showing the date of the deaths:

The deaths have halved.

You might be looking at graphs which mix different figures, such as hospital deaths and overall deaths. Feel free to post a graph you're relying on, and I'll explain why it's not showing we haven't past the peak.

It could spike again though and reach the same peak if there are big regions or big cities or even big parts of certain cities that for whatever reason lagging behind in the number of infected people. It looks promising but I would have to agree with veggie boy that its a bit too early to yell hello (... do you have that expression?). As long as there is no massive antibody testing there's also a lot of uncertainty and numbers could bounce back up.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Very hard to compare between nations on deaths eg Spain does not include colossal numbers of care home deaths according to the Guardian and others, whilst Italy’s failed to record huge numbers of covid deaths according to academics.

Excess total deaths can be the only reliable barometer, as pointed out by various epidemiologists across the globe. Then used per 1m population.

Another poster steered me to these free resources:
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Regarding peak by date of death, the UK’s was early in April.

[emoji106]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It could spike again though and reach the same peak if there are big regions or big cities or even big parts of certain cities that for whatever reason lagging behind in the number of infected people.
We have passed the peak of this wave, that's basically a fact. There's a good chance there will be another wave after the lockdown ends, and that could have a peak that eclipses this one, but that's not being disputed, and won't change the peak of this wave.

It looks promising but I would have to agree with veggie boy that its a bit too early to yell hello (... do you have that expression?).
I don't think we do.

As long as there is no massive antibody testing there's also a lot of uncertainty and numbers could bounce back up.
Yes they could, so it's not a time for mass celebration. Veggie was disputing that the peak of this wave had passed though, presumably as he was looking at different (and incorrect) data.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes it is. Look at this chart showing the date of the deaths:

The deaths have halved.

You might be looking at graphs which mix different figures, such as hospital deaths and overall deaths. Feel free to post a graph you're relying on, and I'll explain why it's not showing we haven't past the peak.
Post #493. We are still comparably, one of the worst performing Western nations.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Post #493. We are still comparably, one of the worst performing Western nations.

But every medical professional along with many posts on here, has told you that we will not know the true mortality figures until many months after the event and after a lot of analysis. You are looking at the raw data and extrapolating some kind of 'result' in your mind. It is incorrect due to the different way different countries record deaths and also due to some countries being way less transparent than our own.

Are you determined to find a bad result for the UK?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But every medical professional along with many posts on here, has told you that we will not know the true mortality figures until many months after the event and after a lot of analysis. You are looking at the raw data and extrapolating some kind of 'result' in your mind. It is incorrect due to the different way different countries record deaths and also due to some countries being way less transparent than our own.

I don't know how many times someone has to make the same/similar points before it finally clicks with him/her!

It's impossible to compare at the moment for the reasons you mentioned, and it will be for a long time, if ever (truly).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't know how many times someone has to make the same/similar points before it finally clicks with him/her!

It's impossible to compare at the moment for the reasons you mentioned, and it will be for a long time, if ever (truly).

Strange how many people here saying that we are over the peak of death/infection but freely admit the current numbers are wrong and are probably only going to go UP after revision and readjustment? Or, they say it is impossible to extrapolate the right conclusions from the raw data ? So, come on guys, make your minds up ….. To me.if this is " Over the Peak " It really does not feel like it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Strange how many people here saying that we are over the peak of death/infection but freely admit the current numbers are wrong and are probably only going to go UP after revision and readjustment? Or, they say it is impossible to extrapolate the right conclusions from the raw data ? So, come on guys, make your minds up ….. To me.if this is " Over the Peak " It really does not feel like it.

There is honestly no point answering you any longer. [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] and others have been very patient and replied with good clear reasons but for some reason you are unable or unwilling to comprehend. You have a trammelled mind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ah, the old "Patriotic " defence ? Am I to be excluded from the herd because I express a differing view and question the mutual assumptions and conclusions of the herd ? Have I become un-British for daring to question ? Get over yourself.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ah, the old "Patriotic " defence ? Am I to be excluded from the herd because I express a differing view and question the mutual assumptions and conclusions of the herd ? Have I become un-British for daring to question ? Get over yourself.

What on earth? You would believe China more than the UK? And why become insulting? Speaking in an uncouth manner betrays your lack of any real argument, you are here simply to troll as you ask questions and then when presented with the evidence simply continue on the same track. You remind me very much of another poster here.

Anyway, I am done with this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What on earth? You would believe China more than the UK? And why become insulting? Speaking in an uncouth manner betrays your lack of any real argument, you are here simply to troll as you ask questions and then when presented with the evidence simply continue on the same track. You remind me very much of another poster here.

Anyway, I am done with this.

Wow ! played your joker now then ? I never mentioned China, and I'm struggling to see how " get over yourself " is insulting, uncouth and trolling ? Probably best that you are done with this and off to a safe place for a while. Tara.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The UK's national statistician, Professor Diamond, has told the Marr Show that he is certain that we are over the peak. If it's good enough for him then I would agree.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Your ‘different view’ is a misinterpretation of the facts though. Death numbers are falling steadily if using date of death (as recorded on the certificate and registered), which is the most reliable dataset. All the scientists agree. Trying to compare rates between countries is pretty futile for now as others have explained - as well as inconsistency over what actual deaths are included and when (in care homes, ‘with’ or ‘of’ CV19 etc), other variables such as population density need to be considered to get a meaningful comparison. We won’t know for months, possibly years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Johns Hopkins raw data shows that Germany appears to be well over a peak, whereas we are on a peak. I say 'a' peak and will do so till I see no eveidence of the start of a second peak.

May 3 germany.PNG
May 3.PNG

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

The most relevant graph is the date of death graph, which really clearly shows that we are over the peak and declining quite steeply now. There's no disputing that graph.

The new cases graphs are completely skewed because testing has been increasing tenfold.

Comparitive graphs across nations are also completely skewed because countries have been counting in different ways and are at different stages.

Is it really, really that hard to grasp? We. Are. Over. The. Peak. (For now anyway, we'll see about a second wave, but that also goes for every nation.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking for global trends on the Hopkins new cases summary figure, if you exclude France and Spain you get a clear picture that the rate of new cases is not plummetting, just hovering slightly downward. France and Spain have done exactly what we don't want, which is change the rubric by which they count numbers, probably more than once. The weird shapes to their paths is a clue, but the proof comes from the examples of negative numbers from both nations, meaning either that people who had been diagnosed with Cova were actually going back in time and blowing the virus out of their bottoms, or those doing the counting decided for no apparent reason to subtract lage numbers from their tally. I'm referring to the mauve and brahn lines that have recently gone below the zero line.

The three nations with the most obvious lack of any sustained progress in the improvement department are Brazil (a late entrant to the pandemic) America where there appears to be a gun-totin' suicide cult on the streets (plus lots of poor people with no health insurance) and....yes, dear old Blighty.

numbers 3 may.PNG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When looking at whether or not we're past our peak it doesn't make any difference whether or we're one of the worst performing nations. Do you understand that? We could have 10 times as many deaths as the US, but if the deaths were falling, we'd be past our peak.

The graphs you're looking at (here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/) are not distinguishing between deaths that were once only reported if they occurred in hospital, and are now being reported wherever they occur. The number of cases is also extremely misleading, since we were doing 10,000 tests a day, and now we're doing 10 times as many. You have to compare like with like. This is what you need to look at:

View attachment 123003This graph is useful because it looks at one specific thing, which is the number of deaths due to Covid 19 in hospital, each day. How can you argue that the number of deaths aren't falling?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Johns Hopkins raw data shows that Germany appears to be well over a peak, whereas we are on a peak. I say 'a' peak and will do so till I see no eveidence of the start of a second peak.

View attachment 123065
View attachment 123066

Peak of infections or peak of deaths ? Deaths is the only stable and certain measure surely ? No. of cases of infection is bound to be higher as the volume of testing is increasing exponentially (it's gone up x10 in April)......we've almost certainly had this number of infection cases for some time, we just haven't been confirming them. We don't know if that rate is increasing or not, but the falling number of deaths and hospitalisations would indicate it's falling too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here