Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nuclear power station coming to Brighton?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Beach Hut said:
I rather like the wind turbines and would have no objection to them at all.
The problem is the sheer amount of them you would have to build to get the same amount of power....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Silent Bob said:
The problem is the sheer amount of them you would have to build to get the same amount of power....

Out at sea ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Calling said:
The Govt ministers are either blinkered, ignorant or bring led down the path of the nuclear industry..
"

Alistair Darling, the industry secretary, said that this would only take 20 weeks and argued it would be a "profound mistake" to rule out nuclear energy at a time of dwindling North Sea oil and gas supplies and pressure to tackle greenhouse gas emissions."

The Gas supplies, can only be replaced by errrrrrrrrrrr gas. I need gas for my cooker, my hob and my boiler as do the majority of UK residents.

Nuclear Power provides electricity. I foresee a major difference here.

We need more wind turbines, etc we need to reduce our demands on energy and the building of Combined Heat and Power stations, that can be built within our communities and supply heat and power to our homes with a neglible lost of energy.

Unlike the National Grid which losses half of the electricity from the power station to the home.

I really do dispair with New Labour and Blair.

the problem is with wind turbines is that councils due to the NIMBY factor will never allow them to be built.

The perfect site for a wind farm is above Fox Way, in Mile Oak. there is a huge field on top of the hill and even on a calm day, the wind howls across Fox Way ) or Windy Heights as it is known locally. However, the noise from these things makes it impossible to build near housing developments.

If you were to have a nuclear station near Brighton, where wxactly would it be. Joking aside, it would never be built near housing ( ie Dungeness and Sellafield are miles from anywhere) - so that leaves, perhaps Waterhall - the back near the golf club, next to shoreham airport - newhaven?

I cant see anywhere in this are where we have the room.

Beach Hut said:
Who is she then ?
I think she must be some relative of Selma Montford.

This will never happen, of course. The government's position seems to be that it will be up to the private sector to develop new energy supply sources, like nuclear power stations.

That will NEVER happen. The financial risks are simply enormous.

In the heartland of free enterprise, the USA, not a single new scheme for nuclear power generation has come forward in decades.

What we need is a national power strategy that is promoted and funded by the government.

What we've got are politicians who seem to prefer passing the buck for ever.

Lokki 7 said:
True. But do you want to be reliant on Russia for those supplies in 10 years time? And the pipline network courtesy of the Ukraine and Belarus?

Sorry mate, but we need gas not electricity, there are a huge range of producers of electricity. Even solar panels. wind turbines supply electricity but providing gas, or another way a sustainable form of energy, is a major issue for the UK.

We have done absolutely nothing to foresee this problem.

The Thatcher Govt, destroyed our mines and our coal supply, they derugaleted the industry. Not a good idea, when there was a need to strategically plan our usage of electricity. Despite our rich sources of wind and tidal power, the Conservatives did nothing.

I hoped with Blair, that we would invest properly in renewables, but alas no.

We are lagging a generation behind Germany, the Scandanavian countries and states such as Calfornia, whilst we could be leading the field.

LC

Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I think Nuclear is a good stop gap option. Renewable technology is clearly way forward but its still 40-50 years away from being able to make a big contribution to the energy we need. If we don't build more nuclear power stations then we'll end up having to spend more and pollute more.

IMO it would also be a good thing for Brighton. There is a desperate shortage of highly skilled jobs.

No, look to CHP. Its designed to be local. Go to European cities and they use CHP. Our energy does not have to be part of the National Grid, the Grid is a major part of our energy problem.

We should be where feasible producing locally and using locally.

London Calling said:
Sorry mate, but we need gas not electricity, there are a huge range of producers of electricity. Even solar panels. wind turbines supply electricity but providing gas, or another way a sustainable form of energy, is a major issue for the UK.

Why do we NEED gas? In 10 years gas will be bloody expensive, the days of cheap gas are gone for ever, and as the North sea gas runs out Russia's grip on supply will become dominant. They will be able to set prices on a scarce resource under their complete control. If we rely on gas, we rely on Russia, and i don't think anyone wants that (except the Russians).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Calling said:
No, look to CHP. Its designed to be local. Go to European cities and they use CHP. Our energy does not have to be part of the National Grid, the Grid is a major part of our energy problem.

We should be where feasible producing locally and using locally.

the problem with CHP( combined Heat and Power) stations is that the infrastructure is not there and will be expensive to set up.

The problem is also distance from the source( ie Power plant) and receivers ( ie Towns).( also Rail infrastructure, roads for getting the coal into the plant)

effectively you need a CHP in most large towns, feeding the excess power into the Grid. You cant even get a fecking football stadium or housing development built here without the Selma Montford's of this world getting all hot under the bra, the chances of building one in a built up area is Zero

Dave the Gaffer said:
the problem is with wind turbines is that councils due to the NIMBY factor will never allow them to be built.

The perfect site for a wind farm is above Fox Way, in Mile Oak. there is a huge field on top of the hill and even on a calm day, the wind howls across Fox Way ) or Windy Heights as it is known locally. However, the noise from these things makes it impossible to build near housing developments.

If you were to have a nuclear station near Brighton, where wxactly would it be. Joking aside, it would never be built near housing ( ie Dungeness and Sellafield are miles from anywhere) - so that leaves, perhaps Waterhall - the back near the golf club, next to shoreham airport - newhaven?

I cant see anywhere in this are where we have the room.

Not necessarily true. Obviously there are certainly NIMBY's slowing down the process. One of main problems is that turbines in the UK have to economically compete with all other supplies of energy in terms of cost of power supplied. The costs of building and dismantling coal and nuclear stations are not covered in the equation, because they were built by the state and will be dismantled by the state - a cost to the tax payer. These costs for dismantling nuclear equate to the costs of the whole budget so far on renewables in the UK.

We have major wind turbines in London, so every where else can have them.

What is the other option?

Lokki 7 said:
Why do we NEED gas? In 10 years gas will be bloody expensive, the days of cheap gas are gone for ever, and as the North sea gas runs out Russia's grip on supply will become dominant. They will be able to set prices on a scarce resource under their complete control. If we rely on gas, we rely on Russia, and i don't think anyone wants that (except the Russians).

Beacuse the majority people houses are rigged up to gas.

Dave the Gaffer said:
the problem with CHP( combined Heat and Power) stations is that the infrastructure is not there and will be expensive to set up.

The problem is also distance from the source( ie Power plant) and receivers ( ie Towns).( also Rail infrastructure, roads for getting the coal into the plant)

effectively you need a CHP in most large towns, feeding the excess power into the Grid. You cant even get a fecking football stadium or housing development built here without the Selma Montford's of this world getting all hot under the bra, the chances of building one in a built up area is Zero

Interstingly all towns used to have power stations within them.

And it is an option for the way forward, perhaps not in Brighton. The Grid can be used to meet Brighton's needs. But most towns and cities do have the land and space to provide CHP, remember Dave, they are not the size of massive plants lioke Shoreham, but can often be down to the size of a small factory.

In Scandavia, they are literally built within housing developments.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Calling said:
Interstingly all towns used to have power stations within them.

And it is an option for the way forward, perhaps not in Brighton. The Grid can be used to meet Brighton's needs. But most towns and cities do have the land and space to provide CHP, remember Dave, they are not the size of massive plants lioke Shoreham, but can often be down to the size of a small factory.

In Scandavia, they are literally built within housing developments.
i dont disagree with you...CHP has been recognised for years as the way forward, but for reasons only known to Governments, they are not seen as on the radar ( I did one of my Open University modules on CHP vs Nuclear Power)

I think it is in Denmark where every new housing development has to have a power source built in the plans.

London Calling said:
Beacuse the majority people houses are rigged up to gas.

That happened because gas was cheap. Gas is no longer cheap and will get much more expensive. They will have to change. Unfortunately.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If you read "The revenge of Gaia" by James Lovelock the Nuclear Option is really the only one.

He came up with the Gaia theory in the first place, and pretty much says that we simply cannot continue to burn fossil fuels, and depressingly, that the damage already done is irreversible and climate change is going to continue apace. All we can do is prepare for the worst.

His view is that Britain must become completely self sufficient in energy requirements because as the Earth warms and populations migrate en-mass the likeliehood of war, unrest and the use of fuel as a bargaining chip will lead to worldwide crisis.

It sent a chill down my spine when I read the Governments appraisal of our situation because, whilst not discussing the threats we face, they appear to agree 100% with his recommendations.

It is simply a must read, because then these decisions that Government are taking make complete sense, although the implications for us all are still dreadful, there is still time to prepare.

hmm.

Woodchip said:
But gas is better to cook on though.

Agreed. You could re-cycle by saving all your farts in a big jar then tapping into that supply when necessary. The pesky Russians will be cursing into their beetroot vodka salads I can tell you.

Jul 20, 2003
This in a nation where you can't be more that 70 miles from the sea and 50 miles from tidal water

I know the technology gets slagged off but if just 5% of the research money spent on 'traditional' energy sources had been spent on tidal power we'd be sorted

it's a f***ing disgrace

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Brighton doesn't appear to be in the top 14 sites for consideration

SUGGESTED NUCLEAR SITES
1. Hinkley Point
2. Sizewell
3. Bradwell
4. Dungeness
5. Hunterston
6. Hartlepool