Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nuclear power station coming to Brighton?

Thursday May 24, 2007
The Guardian

Prime sites for nuclear power stations identified

Study commissioned by government says Brighton, Bristol, Midlands and Oxfordshire should be considered

John Vidal and Terry Macalister

The government is considering building nuclear power stations on the sites of old coal and gas-fired stations in Oxfordshire and the south-east, according to documents released yesterday as part of a consultation forced on it by the courts.

A confidential report, commissioned by the DTI last year from leading energy analysts Jackson Consulting, has recommended a new generation of plants at existing or redundant civil and military nuclear power stations. But it says that many of these will be unavailable for years or will be unsuitable because they have limited connections to the national grid.

Instead, the consultants say that "existing coal and/or gas-fired conventional power stations" should be considered for new nuclear sites. A further option would be to develop stations at "completely new greenfield sites".

Of the 19 existing civil nuclear power station sites, only nine are considered feasible for new reactors, and only four of these are available immediately.

However, the DTI has been advised that the sites of conventional power stations in the Midlands, the south coast near Brighton, and near Bristol could become available. The advice to ministers was outlined in a 50-page report, the only one known to have been commissioned by government specifically on the issue of the siting of new nuclear plants.

It was submitted to the DTI last year and attempts by Greenpeace to make it public under freedom of information rules were repeatedly blocked.

The study was finally disclosed yesterday, when the government published its latest energy white paper.

This offered clear support for new nuclear plants but a fresh round of consultation has been demanded by the high court.

Alistair Darling, the industry secretary, said that this would only take 20 weeks and argued it would be a "profound mistake" to rule out nuclear energy at a time of dwindling North Sea oil and gas supplies and pressure to tackle greenhouse gas emissions.

"Quite simply, in the public interest, we need to make a decision this year on whether we should continue to get some of our electricity from nuclear because new stations take a long time to build. If nuclear is excluded there is every chance that its place would be taken by gas or coal generation which, of course, emit carbon," he said.

According to the Jackson report, ease of connection to the national grid is the main factor in determining a site's suitability.

This suggests that the best available location at present is at Harwell, a former military site close to Didcot power station in Oxfordshire. In the second rung of grid suitability come old coal-fired stations, but these are not mentioned by name.

Only two nuclear sites that are immediately available - at Sizewell and Hinkley - are considered to be suitable to take new generation twin reactors.

Eight of the 19 current nuclear sites considered by Jackson have limited grid connection and three - at Trawsfynydd and Wylfa in north Wales, Berkeley near Gloucester and Heysham in Lancashire are more or less ruled out with "major barriers that would be difficult to overcome".

The report adds that new stations are unlikely to be feasible in Wales or Scotland because of devolution.

While most existing reactors are on the coast, the report says it would be possible to build new ones inland. But these, it says, would need vast cooling towers, "as used by conventional coal and gas- fired generating stations such as Didcot in Oxfordshire".

It says: "Cooling towers are very large structures which substantially damage the local amenity value from visual intrusion, causing significant difficulties with local public acceptance, as well as adding to the cost of construction and reducing the station's power output 3-5%."

The report highlights nuclear waste organisation Nirex's anxiety that the sites most prone to flooding from rising sea levels are in the low-lying areas of the south of England - exactly where electricity demand is forecast to be greatest.

It states that new nuclear power stations would have to be engineered and designed to take this into account. Greenpeace director John Sauven said: "Scientists say the speed at which climate change is happening means that some of the sites suggested for new nuclear power stations are threatened by rising sea levels and storm surges. You have to question where the government thinks it's going to build these things.

"The list of preferred sites for new build in this report is a matter of national interest, not just something for civil servants to see. It's scandalous the government was going to keep this under wraps."

The DTI said last night that the report's conclusions were those of the consultants and it was too early to consider the siting of any potential new stations. A spokesman said private companies would ultimately propose where they should be built.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know the PERFECT sight if we dont get Falmer!!! :cool:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Please let it be in Lewes :lolol:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I've always said that it would be quicker to build a Nuclear Power Station at Falmer than our football ground.

If not a football ground, then I think a Nuclear power station is ideally suited for Falmer. Afteall its contaminated anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Build it at Falmer with a stadium on top. :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect Newhaven will get it, it gets all the stuff Brighton doesn't want.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No doubt someone will bang on about the dangers of nuclear power. It's a bit late now when there are already 5 nuclear power stations within an approximate 100 mile radius of Brighton. (used to be 6 but Winfrith shut down).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One like this ...nice :lolol:

GOLFECH.jpg

The Govt ministers are either blinkered, ignorant or bring led down the path of the nuclear industry..
"

Alistair Darling, the industry secretary, said that this would only take 20 weeks and argued it would be a "profound mistake" to rule out nuclear energy at a time of dwindling North Sea oil and gas supplies and pressure to tackle greenhouse gas emissions."

The Gas supplies, can only be replaced by errrrrrrrrrrr gas. I need gas for my cooker, my hob and my boiler as do the majority of UK residents.

Nuclear Power provides electricity. I foresee a major difference here.

We need more wind turbines, etc we need to reduce our demands on energy and the building of Combined Heat and Power stations, that can be built within our communities and supply heat and power to our homes with a neglible lost of energy.

Unlike the National Grid which losses half of the electricity from the power station to the home.

I really do dispair with New Labour and Blair.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think Nuclear is a good stop gap option. Renewable technology is clearly way forward but its still 40-50 years away from being able to make a big contribution to the energy we need. If we don't build more nuclear power stations then we'll end up having to spend more and pollute more.

IMO it would also be a good thing for Brighton. There is a desperate shortage of highly skilled jobs.

London Calling said:

The Gas supplies, can only be replaced by errrrrrrrrrrr gas. I need gas for my cooker, my hob and my boiler as do the majority of UK residents.

True. But do you want to be reliant on Russia for those supplies in 10 years time? And the pipline network courtesy of the Ukraine and Belarus?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I rather like the wind turbines and would have no objection to them at all.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Calling said:
The Govt ministers are either blinkered, ignorant or bring led down the path of the nuclear industry..
"

Alistair Darling, the industry secretary, said that this would only take 20 weeks and argued it would be a "profound mistake" to rule out nuclear energy at a time of dwindling North Sea oil and gas supplies and pressure to tackle greenhouse gas emissions."

Nuclear Power provides electricity. I foresee a major difference here.

We need more wind turbines, etc we need to reduce our demands on energy and the building of Combined Heat and Power stations, that can be built within our communities and supply heat and power to our homes with a neglible lost of energy.

Unlike the National Grid which losses half of the electricity from the power station to the home.

You have a point and we do need to get our act together - but the suggestions you've made won't totally match the energy gap. I used to be very anti-nuclear power but now I see it as the lesser of two evils (I'm prepared, indeed want, to be swayed back again). Certainly if you read the Independant and have seen the predictions of what will happen if there is 3 degrees or more of global warming then putting up with the odd Chernobyl and a bit of radioactive contamination seems a small price to pay

Except that we use most of our gas to generate electricity. All part of dear old Magige's tactic for a "Dash for Gas" in the eighties which also screwed the miners at the same time.............

and now we may start to regret such a short sighted policy.

So what is one to do is one doesn't want to be in hock to the Russian's (and their dubious business prcaticesI and have a secure energy supply. Its exactly the same as where we were in the 1970s when the Saudi Arabians and OPEC suddenly raised the price of crude oil to previously regarded astronimical levels thereby giving us the three day week, energy shortages, electriciyt only available for a couple of hours a day (anyone remember matches ahving to start at 2pm so they could finish in daylight and not require floodlights.)

Building nuclear power stations is unfortunately a logical option

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here