Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC - what it has become, and how can it be made better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are lucky to have it and therefore no complaints.

One observation though: I think there are more people who read nsc than post and I think this is because it’s quite an intimidating and unwelcoming space unless you are part of the established elite. It’s a shame because there is probably a diversity of opinion out there that does not get heard.

This tends to apply to the non football threads most of all, so I would personally keep football and everything else separate
I don't think it's an intimidating place overall, and I don't think it's an 'established elite' that's a problem - it's more that on some matters - both political and social - there is a strong left bias, and some threads become an echo chamber where alternative views are not welcomed or received with any sort of grace. As soon as you spot that you've opened one of these, hit the ignore thread button and all is welcome friendly sweetness and light.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It seems politics threads is a source of annoyance for a few, long posts, or numerous posts coming in close behind. So my suggestions;

If it's possible, restrict Politics threads from hitting the top 5 or 10 on page one, so they don't dominate the board.

Character limit posts that quote another post, to avoid long winded back and forth.

Heavy posting on a thread gets a 30 minute thread ban, I have no idea where to set the mark for "heavy", or if that can be automated.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'd like a personalised & automated sobriety feature, as an opt in. For myself, I'd like it so that if I've made a lot more typo's than usual & have gone back & re-written stuff more times than usual & it's after 10pm, then I should be made to re-enter my password 4 times at a certain speed. It should quickly tell me my password 1st though to make it fair. If I can't do it then it gets turned into read only until the morning. That is what AI should be used for!!! ;)

I love this site, it is intimidating for a new user but most people lurk before they post & know what they're getting into, well I did anyway. I'm not a fan of this 'mods shouldn't say that' thing that's going on atm. If you don't like someones views on a political thread, disagree & than accept that someone has got a different viewpoint, you can argue against it but don't use them being a 'mod' as a way to say they shouldn't have that viewpoint.

I'm giving a thumbs down to word limit, as I got an A+ in all my essays for waffle, F for content. A daily post limit would mess up things like Wordle comps that @SeagullsoverLondon puts a lot of effort into (hint, hint). 😁

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I use NSC much as I used to use Twitter, and indeed before Twitter even existed - see what people are talking about, see what people are watching, chuckle at some of the daft puns, then leave a tiny bit more educated* about our new left back or what Shane Duffy got up to last night in Pryzm. It's perfect.

* -ish

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Whilst I can only apologise profusely for the demise on this once great establishment that has happened under my watch, I'm all ears...

I'll consider anything, other than...

- Make it more aligned with your political views. I am repeatedly told NSC is too left-wing. I am repeatedly told NSC is too right-wing. I suspect that some folk are very sensitive to views that differ from their own - possibly a symptom of the main social media platforms creating one-sided echo chambers.

- Get rid of user X. You may think that Bozza is a complete and utter ****, but this isn't the place to stay. There's no need to name names.

So, how would YOU make NSC better?
LEAVE IT ALONE.

Although it could do with a few more kids to counter-balance the old farts.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
I would like
I am in my 70’s, never you mind what age. In my experience things were always better in “the old days.” I have heard this ever since I joined the RN at 16 and it has continued ever since. Just saying.
They were though, weren’t they?

😉

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am in my 70’s, never you mind what age. In my experience things were always better in “the old days.” I have heard this ever since I joined the RN at 16 and it has continued ever since. Just saying.
.....and as it's carried on from generation to generation, without fail, maybe there's something in it! :)

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
True but I suspect far more never make that jump
I suspect you're right, but maybe NSC isn't for everyone :shrug:

If they won't make the jump just now, I don't think they would have lasted long early noughties :wink:

And lurking seems normal to decide whether it's for you. It's the 'new' posters who dive straight in with dozens of posts a day I'm wary of.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For me it’s a little like the Perfect Strangers Purps reunion, at times I’m at odds with the puerile nature of things, the 80s synth veneer that inevitably comes with exciting new tech… it’s a uncomfortable ride at times, the leather trousers are a little tight, the vocal range not a fresh as it was, the drum sound all wrong and the wig a little askew… and the shirts, SHIT do not get me started!

But you know, it’s ageing well, better than expected… and the moustache remains as fabulous as ever.

Yeah, someone’s driving a Porsche, but it’s not me.

It’s not me.

Fuking hell, love this song and vid- where has it been all my life ?!!

God i love NSC sometimes.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
It's not what is was. It's still the place I come to for Albion gossip but the adverts are nearly as bad as the Argus and very annoying. I'd go to another forum if it was like the old North Stand chat.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'd like the banner adverts, usually Amazon, to stop bouncing in to my posts before I've finished typing. Sometimes three or four times in a couple of sentences and I shoot off to Amazon and then have to come back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not what is was. It's still the place I come to for Albion gossip but the adverts are nearly as bad as the Argus and very annoying. I'd go to another forum if it was like the old North Stand chat.
Adverts? I see them on my phine, but not on my laptop. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here