Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Survey of how you are getting to the AMEX

Well ?. How are you planning to get to the majority of games.

• Total voters

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The last NSC poll (on travel intentions for SATURDAY games) produced this result:-

Walk 5 2.44%
Cycle 4 1.95%
Bus 13 6.34%
Train 116 56.59%
Park and Ride 31 15.12%
Coach 2 0.98%
Car 34 16.59%

As I've said elsewhere, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for more than half of a big crowd to travel by train.

Begs the question then,....... why the hell is the club not making a statement on this,.... they stand to lose a lot of goodwill, and money potentially, if people find it is a chore getting to/from the ground,... 2nd year season ticket sales will plummet, and I certainly cant see a couple of thousand away fans being too happy to sit around for 2 hours, especially if they have been beaten, and they are Millwall/Cardiff/Leeds fans.

Begs the question then,....... why the hell is the club not making a statement on this,.... they stand to lose a lot of goodwill, and money potentially, if people find it is a chore getting to/from the ground,... 2nd year season ticket sales will plummet, and I certainly cant see a couple of thousand away fans being too happy to sit around for 2 hours, especially if they have been beaten, and they are Millwall/Cardiff/Leeds fans.
The Club is doing its own survey - of season ticket purchasers. I guess they haven't finished it yet. Unfortunately, their survey didn't offer the option of "car".

I also guess that they will be thinking very hard about the fact that more people want to travel by train than there is space on the trains. The first thing to do about that, in my opinion, is to promote bus travel as an alternative. There are more bus seats available between Brighton and Falmer than train seats. Supporters will eventually realise this.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The last NSC poll (on travel intentions for SATURDAY games) produced this result:-

Walk 5 2.44%
Cycle 4 1.95%
Bus 13 6.34%
Train 116 56.59%
Park and Ride 31 15.12%
Coach 2 0.98%
Car 34 16.59%

As I've said elsewhere, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for more than half of a big crowd to travel by train.

Apologies, Lord B if this info is already available elsewhere, but can you inform the debate by confirming what the likely capacity will be of the trains to get people to and from games? i.e. how many thousands can travel in or out within 90 minutes of the typical match beginning/ending.

Apologies, Lord B if this info is already available elsewhere, but can you inform the debate by confirming what the likely capacity will be of the trains to get people to and from games? i.e. how many thousands can travel in or out within 90 minutes of the typical match beginning/ending.
The current train service (four trains per hour between Falmer and Brighton) offers fewer than 1,000 seats per hour. Add in the standing room and deduct the seats that are occupied by people travelling on non-football journeys, and even add a couple of extra trains, and you'll see that getting more than 4,000 people away by train is going to be very, very difficult.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Club is doing its own survey - of season ticket purchasers. I guess they haven't finished it yet. Unfortunately, their survey didn't offer the option of "car".

I also guess that they will be thinking very hard about the fact that more people want to travel by train than there is space on the trains. The first thing to do about that, in my opinion, is to promote bus travel as an alternative. There are more bus seats available between Brighton and Falmer than train seats. Supporters will eventually realise this.

That sounds fair enough. However I was not asked when I purchased my ST. Hey ho... I am not overly concerned. I like everyone else will just be delighted we have our spanking stadium. Just surprised by the figures considered to be travelling by train on the other thread. Imagine the carnage on here if there are 2 hour queues for the train when things get underway.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
The current train service (four trains per hour between Falmer and Brighton) offers about 1,000 seats per hour. Add in the standing room and deduct the seats that are occupied by people travelling on non-football journeys, and even add a couple of extra trains, and you'll see that getting more than 4,000 people away by train is going to be very, very difficult.

Crikey. Bus to Brighton station it is then.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The current train service (four trains per hour between Falmer and Brighton) offers fewer than 1,000 seats per hour. Add in the standing room and deduct the seats that are occupied by people travelling on non-football journeys, and even add a couple of extra trains, and you'll see that getting more than 4,000 people away by train is going to be very, very difficult.

Thanks - but does that include trains to Lewes and beyond or will that allow another 2k or 3k perhaps? Going for a drink in Lewes and getting the train may be an attractive option for many although I shouldn't think parking is great in the town?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks - but does that include trains to Lewes and beyond or will that allow another 2k or 3k perhaps? Going for a drink in Lewes and getting the train may be an attractive option for many although I shouldn't think parking is great in the town?

Agreed. That is looking like a good option right now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Will park outside the ground on the days I can get my 1901 space, otherwise train is the only convenient option from central Brighton.

Unless I'm much mistaken the 1901 spaces are not next to the ground, but are the other side of the A27?

Jan 30, 2008

Walk 5 2.44%
Cycle 4 1.95%
Bus 13 6.34%
Train 116 56.59%
Park and Ride 31 15.12%
Coach 2 0.98%
Car 34 16.59%

tell that to them at their departure station :wink:

Jan 30, 2008

i admire your optimism lord B, SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER WEMBLEY SITUATION WITH PEOPLE LEAVING HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE GAME ENDS depending on the size of the crowd of course

There may well be fewer people travelling from Lewes than Brighton, but to fit another 3,000 people on to the trains, you'd need a lot more trains than the line capacity is capable of delivering.

The existing service (4 trains an hour in each direction) is capable of carrying about 2,000 people an hour in each direction (including jam-packed standing passengers), less the number of non-football travellers who are already on the trains (which is not insignificant).

Jan 30, 2008
There may well be fewer people travelling from Lewes than Brighton, but to fit another 3,000 people on to the trains, you'd need a lot more trains than the line capacity is capable of delivering.
what about Polegate and Eastbourne, Goldstone days these trains were always pretty full on arrival at Lewes :smokin:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Word is that there's a bus calling at The Station @ Preston Park to pick us up.
Happy Days

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I hope they sort decent buses between Lewes and Brighton

Info from the B&H buses website says starting on 17th April on routes 28 and 29 , "a significant improvement to this service as the frequency of buses between Brighton and Lewes is being increased to every 10 minutes on Mondays to Saturdays during the daytime".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here