Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC scoop academy & training facilities

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The interesting thing is that when we first moved onto the Mash Barn estate there were only really the three main roads (Daniel Close, Shadwells Road and Gravelly Crescent). The bit to the north (where Woodard, Lisher and Hayley roads are now) was scrub, greenhouses and orchards, but they told us that it was earmarked for future residential developments - which is what happened. The land to the east, which was farmland all the while I lived there, we were told had been earmarked for sports development and there were going to be football and cricket pitches! Plus a new school (which was eventually built in Freshbrook Road).

I often used to think of that when Perseus was banging on about Pende as a site for the stadium. Funny to think that forty five years later what we were told is finally, at least in part, coming true!

PS As a complete aside the boy who lived opposite me in Daniel Close was Mark Organ. He's a railwayman like yourself, indeed he's now in charge of Falmer Station!

I know that name from somewhere during my railway career but be blowed if I can place where.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Excellent news and well done Bobby Smith.
Question - will there be any protests from the nearby residential pikey camp on Withy Patch on the A27 for the disturbances/rubbish left/noise made to them and from the cottagers that use the adjacent lay-by ?
Best make sure security is very very tight during building works and everything bolted down. lol

:clap2: lol. You're so right, Lancing is the South East England HQ for Gypsys!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brilliant news.
The stadium is one thing, but Gus and the squad need and deserve top quality training facilities to go with it, being as this is where they will spend the majority of their working week. Its still SUCH an important factor in attracting players to the club (as well as hopefully keeping hold of Gus for as long as possible). Hopefully the planning application will sail through, and this time next year we'll be well on the way to seeing it becoming a reality.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I used to live there! In Daniel Close, my mum got a council house on what was called the Mash Barn Estate soon after they were built in about 1968. The land earmarked for the training ground used to be farmland (our house, number 29 was right at the edge of the estate next to the field) but seems to have been abandoned and turned to scrub.

Small world isn't it, my wife lived nearly opposite you at 31 Shadwells Road, her family also moved there when the estate was new in 1968.Their house was right next to the fields before the rest of the estate was built. It was a nice estate for about the first 15 years, these days I'd feel safer living in Helmund Province Afghanistan! Good luck with the club building it next to the Mash Barn estate!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Small world isn't it, my wife lived nearly opposite you at 31 Shadwells Road, her family also moved there when the estate was new in 1968.Their house was right next to the fields before the rest of the estate was built. It was a nice estate for about the first 15 years, these days I'd feel safer living in Helmund Province Afghanistan! Good luck with the club building it next to the Mash Barn estate!
Blimey, your wife's name isn't Carol is it?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not her first, her middle name is though. Did you know Philip Colley? my wife was best friends with his sister Jane.
Yes, knew him well, another Daniel Close-r. He was in the same class as me at South Lancing. Married a girl called Fiona Lowe. His sister was a year or two older if I recall. It was Carol West I was thinking of, she had an older sister, Vicky I think.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Brilliant news.
The stadium is one thing, but Gus and the squad need and deserve top quality training facilities to go with it, being as this is where they will spend the majority of their working week. Its still SUCH an important factor in attracting players to the club (as well as hopefully keeping hold of Gus for as long as possible). Hopefully the planning application will sail through, and this time next year we'll be well on the way to seeing it becoming a reality.

this..... and as we move on up in the world, perhaps a helicopter and bizjet parking slot next door in shoreham airport so the star players can commute to work :smile:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Great news, planning apps a concern but can't see the trouble we have had previously with this.

Regarding our current facilities, what have we actually got right now and has it been improved since Gus took over ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just to note, how many teams have full size grass pitches at the moment? Are we one of a few, or potentially the only team with a full size indoor grass pitch? There can't be many, even in the PL. If planning goes through etc...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We expect photos EVERY Friday then

Since when has that been Shoreham?
Bloody useless council.

Is it Lancing or is it Shoreham? Call it Pende then nobody can complain.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Just to note, how many teams have full size grass pitches at the moment? Are we one of a few, or potentially the only team with a full size indoor grass pitch? There can't be many, even in the PL. If planning goes through etc...

just from a quick google search -

arsenal have TEN full size pitches, two with undersoil heating
chelsea have SIX full size pitches, one indoors, three with undersoil
man united have FOURTEEN pitches of varying sizes, so i guess there will be a couple full size there
the leeds united have EIGHT full size pitches and TWO artificial

so, in a word, no. these facilities arent going to be groundbreaking, but a significant improvement on what we have

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here