Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Greyhound Syndicate

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
whats the count now for a yes?

5 definites for £100, and 1 maybe if the numbers come up short. And 1 x £50 dependent on ongoing costs. (Still trying to get an answer on weekly costs.)

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Just been trying to speak to a couple of the trainers i know to see how much they will charge but of course they are all at the track for the BAGS meeting! DOH!!! will speak to them later and get back to you all.

Regarding additional costs.... the only one really is potential Vets bills. As has previously been stated you cannot insure racing greyhounds (its even costly to insure retired ones apparently).

Another thing worth considering is Bitches - seasons, obviously they cannot race whilst in season. A lay of from racing can be costly as kennels will still charge, at a slightly reduced rate. You can get really unlucky and get a Bitc that comes into season 2x annually. The only way around this is to give them hormones to suppress their season, but i am really not a fan of this.

All of this is made a lot easier if there is someone in the syndicate willing to home the hound whilst injured/in season. But be aware they do hve a very specific diet and exercise requirements.

I have been in other syndicates before and have found the best way to do it is to get everyone to pay the full costs each month for the first six months, do not factor prize money into it. This way you get to build up bit of a kitty and can then re-evaluate. Gives you a chance to keep some by for that unwanted injury etc. Worst case scenario is that the injury occurs in its first couple of races and you are faced with having to ask people to fork out more. It is unlikely, but you know..... sods law and all that.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My retired fella, fell badly on his back leg in race, it cost the owner £1700 to get it fixed and when he did'nt manage to win anything else was chucked out on the street.

His kennels and trainers got annoyed when after being picked up the dog warden and retired greyhound trust got involved and had to answer questions. Just thought you may or may not want to considor the welfare of not just the dog but the way in which it has been breed, before getting involved.

I worked at the dogs for years and blisfully ignored signs of abuse, my dog loves running but I am glad he can now just do it in the park. If you are intersted in the other side;

RDPA - Cruelty factors

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
An example of what a grand can get you.

Black Dog, Born March 2009. Sire = Honcho Classic, Dam = Persephone.

This dog is unraced. It has done qualifieng times at clonmel in Ireland 3 months ago. Early indications show it is a Hove suited dog in that it is has a long galloping action. Not blessed with great early pace, but stays on. One dog in the litter (Specal Merlin) has started racing and has already made it to open races. Its first open funnily enough was at Hove last week, it came second after a poor start, got crowded at the first corner and stayed on strongly. It is extremely well bred. Honcho Classic is #2 in the stud dog standings. Persephone is a full sister to Special Trick and Special Treat - maybe one of the best litters ever produced...... although if i recall Westmead merlin and Westmead Chick were from the same litter? would be hard to compete with that.

Im not saying that this Dog is a nailed on success, or that there arent other good buys out there. Just giving an example of what we can get for our money. IMO would be better taking a punt on something like this than an existing Hove grader.

Also forgot to mention.... One precondition to me joining is that a home for the hound is garunteed. It is the one aspect of Greyhound racing i didnt like and is why i got out of it previously. If we can garuntee a home when it has finished racing then i'm in :thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
An example of what a grand can get you.

Black Dog, Born March 2009. Sire = Honcho Classic, Dam = Persephone.

Wow what a blast from the past!

My bitch raced against Honcho Classic's mother(Sure Lass) at Sandown (Melbourne).

Sure Lass was favourite and my bitch was shooting for 4 in a row. They drew boxes 7 and 8 and knocked each other out of the race on the first turn :laugh:

Beautifully bred animal was Honcho Classic.

His dam line has thrown an incredible amount of winners down around the district I live for the Mugavin family.

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
All syndicates have to be registered with the GBGB (greyhound board of great britain) someone will have to be elected as head of syndicate to sign registration forms etc.I have been involved with the sport of greyhound racing for longer than i care to remember and i would be more than happy to help if you have any questions or need advise .

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
£50 FROM ME.....assuming gazwag is in to match the £50

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Looks like we've got £600 confirmed with an extra £100 if needed.

Anyone else up for it?

Seagulltonian/Manny - did you hear back on the training cost side of things?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I will also pledge that if seagulltonian for any reason, cant have the dog after its finished racing then i will gladly step in to ensure its 'after-racing care'.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I will also pledge that if seagulltonian for any reason, cant have the dog after its finished racing then i will gladly step in to ensure its 'after-racing care'.

Thanks for the backup plan hola gus. I do intend to rehome it after it has finished racing, unless circumstances change of course :thumbsup:

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Ok, sorry it took a while to get back.

Have spoken to a few of the trainers, They all have space and are all about £6 a day, so £42 per week.

Its just a case of choosing which trainer everyone wants to put it with. Are any of the syndicate likely to want to go and visit the Dog on a Sunday morning? All kennels allow owners to visit and take the Dog for a walk on Sunday mornings.... Is a good way to get to know the Trainer, kennel staff and other owners. Can also blow a few Saturday night cobwebs away too :) If people do want to be able to visit then its obviously advisable to choose a trainer who's kennels are a convenient distance from everyone. Other than that i would recommend John Gammon. He is based at Cosmic Kennels at Heathfield. One of the newest kennels and a good all round set up. Having said that, im happy to go with the flow on this.

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Wow what a blast from the past!

My bitch raced against Honcho Classic's mother(Sure Lass) at Sandown (Melbourne).

Sure Lass was favourite and my bitch was shooting for 4 in a row. They drew boxes 7 and 8 and knocked each other out of the race on the first turn :laugh:

Beautifully bred animal was Honcho Classic.

His dam line has thrown an incredible amount of winners down around the district I live for the Mugavin family.

Aussie Stud dogs have taken the UK and Ireland by storm lately. One of the first to come over is another Dog you may remember? A certain Destiny Fox!

I had Destiny Fox pups and they were absolutely outstanding!

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I think while this is a current topic, those that are seriously interested, agree to meet up and make some plans before the idea goes cold, what does everyone think?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Aussie Stud dogs have taken the UK and Ireland by storm lately. One of the first to come over is another Dog you may remember? A certain Destiny Fox!

I had Destiny Fox pups and they were absolutely outstanding!

I certainly do remember him.

Out of the great Sire of Sires Brother Fox.

Another interesting side note to my original story is that my bitch who raced against Sure Lass had the same great, great grandam as Destiny Fox namely a bitch called Dynabolt.

Dynabolt was the foundation bitch of arguably Australia's most successful and prolific bloodlines ever in the sports history here.

Her legacy is still massively present here as there are hundreds of Dogs going around under the guise of a Bale or a Dyna name still today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here