Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
Greyhounds

Well it looks like you are getting a racing greyhound. As I have already mentioned after years of involvement at the dog stadium, where I ignored all the abuse going on, I now support the campaigns to stop betting on greyhound racing as it looks the only way to stop the suffering and cruelty involved across the industry.

The industry does little to regulate itself, thousands of greyhounds and there puppys are destroyed by hanging, shooting, drowning and various other cheap methods, just beacuse they do not make the grade.

You have stated your dog will have a home and hopefully be well looked after, feed and walked. You are also aware vets bills may/will run into the thousands of pounds. My greyhound won its owner money, that may have covered some of the vets bills and costs, he had dozens and no way of funding or managing retirements for them.

My dog was given to the first person who wanted him at the track once he reached 5 and had to be retired. They just put him out on the street and he was probably one of the few lucky ones to find a home via the Brighton and Hove dog warden.

In all your excitment of owning a racing dog, please considor the industry and keep your eyes open to the abuse and misery it supports. Loads of information is on the internet if you want to know more about the less glamourous side of Greyhound racing.

I've been attending atleast 3 meetings a week for the last 18n months and I have to say that during all that time all I have seen is care towards the dogs from punters, owners and trainers....My experience is with proper pro punters and the really do care like all others connected...I would not be surprised tho if breeders had a dog that was not any good/valuable that they may not be too sympathetic towards the dog. For the people that stand outside the stadium on open meetings are just idiots IMO. Are you a vegi? chickens are bread to be eaten dogs are bred to race!!! which is worse? Just a thought...

Last edited:

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Count me in for 21st, looks like we need to get this puppy bought!

seagulltonian - how many confirmations have you had?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Count me in for 21st, looks like we need to get this puppy bought!

seagulltonian - how many confirmations have you had?

8 Shares confirmed.

Anybody else?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've been attending atleast 3 meetings a week for the last 18n months and I have to say that during all that time all I have seen is care towards the dogs from punters, owners and trainers....My experience is with proper pro punters and the really do care like all others connected...I would not be surprised tho if breeders had a dog that was not any good/valuable that they may not be too sympathetic towards the dog. For the people that stand outside the stadium on open meetings are just idiots IMO. Are you a vegi? chickens are bread to be eaten dogs are bred to race!!! which is worse? Just a thought...

Yes I am a veggie, about 25 years now.

As mentioned by Chez he has also been going for years and been involved in owning dogs and only ever seen and had good experiences. When I was a teenager and lived in Hangleton we had a retired greyhound who was well adjusted and we knew about all of her brothers and sisters. The kennels at Albourne always seemed okay and seemed to rehome all its dogs.

As an adult my experience of retired grethounds has changed, now knowing more over the years due to the press and internet data. The kennels where my dog came from talked up its welfare, but refused to have anything to do with rehoming or the RGT, and nearly all of his relatives are untraceable. I am aware that all the rehoming centres are full due to lack of people now taking ex racing dogs (economics one factor).

I have seen too many stories in the press and online to do with dogs being destoyed on mass, and having been part of the betting industry and the dogs think it is well past it sell by date.

As mentioned before I just want to add my bit in to show what as I see, as the non public side of the industry, their are loads of Greyhounds in kennels that don't make the grade that need homes and make great pets, without having to experience years of racing.

Ours are expensive enough without racing just in vets bills and food alone. But one thing we all seem to have in common is we have a great fondness for these kingsand queens of speed and I like the idea people are looking out for them and trying to get the industry better regulated.

Somene mentioned they wanted in, just to pee me off, I'm honoured (perhaps you could call it Hortons half time hound dog) it takes a bit to piss me off, so I'll give you a head start, I am not a big fan of Crystal Palace, so becoming a CP STH or naming the dog Eagles 5-0 may achieve this.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I will do everything i can to be there on the 21st. Need to get this show on the road!

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
I should be available for a meet pretty much whenever. Just need a week or so notice. So either 21st or 28th is good for me.

If an account is set up i am ready to transfer money. Would suggest full share amount and a months bills up front.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I should be ok for 21st or 28th. And i am also ready to stump up the cash for my half share.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
i can do half a share,anyone else wanna make up the other half?

I would be interested, how much is a half share?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Right, a quick count up:-

£100 : Me(Seagulltonian), Barry Izbak, Manny, Mrs Manny, J2 BHA, Briref, Prawnsarnies, The Merry Prankster, dazzalewis1968, HB&B

£50 : Gazwag, Pat Albion?, Hola Gus, Stevie Boy, Safeway

Maybe's : righton 70

So, I make that £1250, if my maths is right, and I've counted everybody properly. (If I've made a mistake, please feel free to correct it!)

Still up for Thursday myself as well :rave:

How is it looking now seagulltonian?

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Are we still meeting on Thursday this week?

Think we need to crack on and get this sorted or it'll lose momentum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here