Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**NSC early Weather Warning - possible Snow on Friday**

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Friday is looking very 'interesting' for another snow event in Sussex. We are going to have a low pressure pushing south, and this will have a lot of cold air in train... We could see significant snow from this, as well as showers on Saturday.

This is the latest Met Office Fax chart for Friday lunchtime... the low pressure and occluded front are both close to the SE coast.. (note, they will update)

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack2a.gif

We'd expect a period of snow throughout Sussex if this happens as forecast. If the front slows over us, the cold air (represented by the dashed 528dam line) may even undercut the front giving even more snow.

The GFS model shows this well this morning.

Precipitation

3249364841_a61257c2c5_o.jpg

Temps

3250189692_4e222dda2a_o.jpg

Synoptics

3250196552_a57fff73de_o.jpg

Metcheck show this well, for the Thursday night to Friday period... with the rain equivalent of nearly an inch! (that would equate to nearly a foot of snow).

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=Worthing

One to keep an eye on, I think.

Papa

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't push it Papa.

US says you got lucky once .........................

I'm not say this will happen, but if it does, overnight into Friday would be a real mess.

Where could this go wrong?

1. The low may track further to the east - no precipitation over most us.
2. The forecasts have overestimated the cold air involved - we get rain.
3. The models have over-estimated the level of precipitation.

I personally think they have done a '3'. Northerly incursions are always tricky for us down here, and the downs tend to moderate the snow for a lot of us.

Just one to keep an eye on :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You have secured your reputation as the NSC Weather Guru. Well played papa - you must have punched the snow-laden air. :bowdown:

When I saw the snow falling overnight Sunday I was excited. But let's focus on the possible 'snow event' Thursday into Saturday now.

I prefer snow on a Friday, as I get a legitimate day to go 'up the downs' with the kids.

Papa

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Good news Papa. Yesterday was superb, and now all the snow has got rather hard and icy round my way, I'm already looking for the next lot.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is the graphical interpretation of the GFS output.

Just a sample.

rart_09020606_0300.gif

Yoda

English & European
Listen to the man.

Everything looks to be pointing that way, the Global Forecast System, The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts and UK Meteorological Office models all roughly show the same thing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm getting woried now. I'm scheduled to be flying out of Gatwick at 9am Sunday to go skiing. Oh the irony if I can't fly to a skiing holiday because of snow in this country.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Listen to the man.

Everything looks to be pointing that way, the Global Forecast System, The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts and UK Meteorological Office models all roughly show the same thing.

Indeed. Very good model agreement on this one. The media haven't really mentioned the risk (until maybe today) as they've been focussing (rightly) on the current weather situation.

Papa

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Indeed. Very good model agreement on this one. The media haven't really mentioned the risk (until maybe today) as they've been focussing (rightly) on the current weather situation.

Papa

After your outstanding long range forecast, I shall never consult `the media` for my weather forecasts again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here