Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Book club!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
kinkygerbil said:
i have been meaning to read that but im still only on level two books

If only you were joking ...

Play to the End by Robert Goddard is also good, and it's set in Brighton, which is nice.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Everyone should read 'Lolita' or indeed anything by Vladimir Nabokov. The bloke was an absolute genius - by far the most talented writer I've ever experienced, and English wasn't even his first language.

'Catcher in the Rye' is one of my favourites to be mentioned here.

Also check out 'Sweet Thursday' by John Steinbeck.

For a lighter read, if you haven't read any Adrian Mole diaries then you really should - about as funny as funny gets I reckon.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Duncan H said:
I'd recommend "The World According to Garp", or "The Cider House Rules" (much much better than the film) by John Irving. He's a fantastic writer.

A Prayer For Owen Meany is a true masterpiece.

I also recommend:

The Master And Margarita - by Mikael Bulgakov, surreal but fantastic
To Kill A Mockingbird - by Harper Lee, you will not find a more beautifully written book
Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth - pure genius and very funny

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
oh, The Doll's house - Ibsen. shyte.
A midsummer nights dream. shyte.

Three Sisters by Anton Checkov - very good book.

AmsterdamAlbion

Jul 26, 2004
Amsterdam
Anyone read something good on the Cuban Revolution. Nothing too heavy on politics more on the initial struggle particularly in the Sierra Maestra. Had a great holiday there earlier this year and now want to read a bit more about it.

One book I liked in my youth (25 years ago) was Boldness Be My Friend Richard Pape - a POW escape story - if i read it now it may be crap but i loved it at the time. same author wrote cape Cold to Cape Hot - about his overland journey.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Got 'The Da Vinci Code' afew days ago, half way through it.

Absolutly fantastic thanks to all who recomended it.

Ive also purchased 'The 5 Poeple You Meet In Heaven' and 'Death By Hollywood' both of which look like good reads.

Thank you and goodnight.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Biscuit said:
Got 'The Da Vinci Code' afew days ago, half way through it.

Absolutly fantastic thanks to all who recomended it.

You're welcome... I've finished it now - it keeps the gripping, rather twisty sort of plot going right to the end.

(subsequent web research shows that some people take it all rather too seriously!)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Titanic said:
(subsequent web research shows that some people take it all rather too seriously!)

Like that book I read..

'Making a Fanzine' - by Richie Morris.

:lolol: JOKE!

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Weezle said:
Da Vinci Code for me too.

Also try The Partner by John Grisham.

Reading the Partner now, enjoyable and easy to read, these long train journeys go so much quicker with a book.

A Child Called IT by David Peltzer was brilliant and had me squirming in my seat and feeling physically sick. Its about a boy being abused by his mother...really sad.

Da Vinci code very interesting.

Also have enjoyed When we were Orphans by someone Izaguro recently (he's the guy who wrote the remains of the day)

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Barnet Seagull said:
Pompei was also interesting. Like all of Robert Harris's stuff, it's based on factual events and whilst not completely engaging, it does give you a great feel for the setting.

Wasnt a big fan of Pompeii, i thought it was quite poorly written, but i its good for putting a new perspective on the erruption of Vesuvius

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
n21887.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Finished Da Vinci code.

Enjoyed it, almost felt let down by the ending but it made up for it at the very end! So many twists, so many riddles. Fantastic book.

Am going to start 'the five people you meet in heaven' anyone anything about this or another book called 'Death by Hollywood'

ta!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm in the middle of "Glue", sort of a sequel to Trainspotting. I also have Catch-22 by Joseph Heller sitting on my bedside table awaiting a good read.

My last book was a good, light hearted read. The Best A Man Can Get by John O'Farrell. Quite funny, about a bloke who lives a double life - single in Balham some days, married in N London on others. And the nobody else knows about his double life.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Simster said:
I also have Catch-22 by Joseph Heller sitting on my bedside table awaiting a good read.

A word of warning on Catch 22.

It's loved and hated for exactly the same reasons. Personally I find it hysterical, fell about laughing and would recomend it to anyone.

I let it to someone else who I thought would love it as much as I did and she described it as 'Monty Python does the Second World War'.. I was less than impressed! AND IF YOUR READING, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :p

On another note, it made me laugh out loud and then feel desperatly sad at almost the same time. Heller is a fantastic author.

--------------

NB: Not as sad as 'The Piansit' which really struck a chord.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Biscuit said:
Am going to start 'the five people you meet in heaven' anyone anything about this or another book called 'Death by Hollywood'

ta!

5 People in Heaven is an excellent book, well worth the read - nice moral tale of sorts, and unravels skillfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here