Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Book club!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Sneaky George said:
I've heard good things about it. Worth taking in?

Definitely, although it's a lot to sit through in one go. It's a weighty but very beautifully written history of the entire continent. He strongly makes the point that European history should include the history of countries like Poland and Russia, which he feels have often been pretty much ignored. But it also covers the "classics" (30 Years War, French revolution, that sort of stuff) very well.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
norman lewis naples '44 : an army intelligence officer in naples at the end of the war. he died last year and was a fantastic travel writer.

john mcphee - coming into the country : life in alaska in the early 1970's. one of the us's most talented non-fiction writers.

how country came to nashville - history of country music. interesting but a bit slow

herman melville - moby dick : long long long but fascinating

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith -
Quality light read

Fighter Boys - Patrick Bishop -
A fantastic insight into the Battle Britain. Tally ho boys.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Crazy from the Heat by David Lee Roth

a very very funny autobiography from a truly over the top guy

Jul 20, 2003
I take it everyone has read 'Brighton Rock'?

you can't go wrong with Graham Greene - but even by his peerless standards 'The Power and the Glory' is outstanding.

Other unconditional recommendations:

"A Confedarcy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
"Hangover Square) by Patrick Hamilton (set in late 30s London and Brighton)

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Yep - great book. Also thought The End of the Affair was pretty good, although more subtle in it's effect.

Speaking of books set in Brighton, Will Self's My Idea of Fun was a fantastically f***ed fun read.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd recommend "The World According to Garp", or "The Cider House Rules" (much much better than the film) by John Irving. He's a fantastic writer.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Life of Pi was good, but entails you to interpret the ending (in fact, most of the story) as you will, so receptions to it vary.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is an absolutely fantastic book, inspiring stuff, and a deserved classic.

I would also second the Dave Gorman/Danny Wallace books, nad Tony Hawks - funniest books I've read.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Biscuit said:
As for Bill Bryson, Ive read Notes from a small island, note from a big country, the auzzie one, and plan to get hold of 'a brief history of almost everything'..will also look up the science one.

You've missed the two best ones! Lost Continent and Neither Here nor There are absolute genius! I'm half-way through The Road To McCarthy by Pete McCarthy, which is reasonably good, if a bit hit and miss

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Repugnant Toad said:
Life of Pi was good, but entails you to interpret the ending (in fact, most of the story) as you will, so receptions to it vary.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is an absolutely fantastic book, inspiring stuff, and a deserved classic.

I would also second the Dave Gorman/Danny Wallace books, nad Tony Hawks - funniest books I've read.

Want to know how Norman Wisdom became a popstar in Albania? Read Tony Hawks!!!! Absolutely brilliant.

Alchemist changed my life... read also Manual of the Warrior of Light.... a book for life!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
kinkygerbil said:
i have been meaning to read that but im still only on level two books

If only you were joking ...

Play to the End by Robert Goddard is also good, and it's set in Brighton, which is nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here