Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Book club!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Give me a hand, I need a good book.

I read Catch 22, absolutly amazing.
I read The curious incident of the dog in the night, very enjoyable.
I read The Pianist, has changed my out look on the world somewhat.

Can anyone recomend me a book in the league of the above mentioned? It had better be good!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Catcher in the Rye
Z for Zacharia

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Dice Man by Luke Rheinhart is pretty good. Not in the same league as Catch 22 though (speaking of which - I found a book the other day which is the literary equivalent of a dvd bonus disk! Includes further tales of Yossarian after he ran off, and "deleted scenes" from the book. Also included are a batch of short stories also by Heller.

More recently, Ive read a couple of Dan Brown books. Highly enoyable.

Ooh - and PJ Tracey, Want to play.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Patrick Robinson writes quite good stuff.
Probably the pick is HMS Unseen.

Reading Dan Brown's - The Da Vinci Code at the moment. Pretty good so far...

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yes, Dice Man was very good. Might find it a bit difficult to get into. After I read it me and my mates started using the flip of a coin when we went out. Heads stay tails go, heads one pub tails another. It was quite a laugh.
I'd also recommend Fantastic Mr Fox.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Dice man, quality book. Have often wondered whether it might be possible to do an "NSC-man" experiment where all of someone's decisions are made by NSC poll. My God, what a thought.

Anyway, the two books that I would recommend to anyone are Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell and Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. Both old, I know, but still good to read.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Mr Fox - classic.

If your gonna go for Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, and Da Vinci code are both very similar, but very good. Digital Fortress was cack!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Dave Gormans: Are you Dave Gorman or Googlewhack Adventure, or Tony Hawks: Across Ireland with a Fridge are all good for a laugh.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm half way through The Da Vinci Code at present, and it's a good read - fascinating stuff, and well-written. I'd recommend it so far.

I thought Dice Man with utter rubbish.

Another good, but totally different book is 'Endurance' a brilliant account of the Antarctic expedition led by Shackleton.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Biscuit said:
Give me a hand, I need a good book.

I read Catch 22, absolutly amazing.
I read The curious incident of the dog in the night, very enjoyable.
I read The Pianist, has changed my out look on the world somewhat.

Can anyone recomend me a book in the league of the above mentioned? It had better be good!

The top two are two of my faves.
I'd suggest What A Carve Up by Jonathan Coe. A wonderful grotesque satire of wealth and features as gargoylish as the souls they hide.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Faldo said:

If your gonna go for Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, and Da Vinci code are both very similar, but very good. Digital Fortress was cack!

Just finished reading Deception Point by him, brilliant book:clap2: (as are Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time (Gonzo Papers, Vol. 1)
by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

hstflag.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: NSC Book club!

Set of Tracksuits said:
What's this book all about? Heard a lot of praise for it without knowing anything about it.

It's about a boy, 15, who is austic. He lives with his father, and attends a special school. It basically shows the world through the eyes of someone with autism. Fantastically written, describes how the kid takes in every single piece of information he see's etc.

The plot: The neighbours dog, Wellington, has been murdered. And the boy decides to 'play detective' and stumbles across some previously hidden home truths.

A really good book.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Am readin Layer Cake by J J Connolly.......... still getting into it, but if I was to apply a lable to it........" Bit of a Trainspotting, but from the dealer perspective, not the user, and based in london"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Sorry, quick typitis

S/B Label

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here