Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

now see this ..... No stripes on matchdays at the Amex!

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
As someone who does some coaching for the community side of things and may have use of a 1901 seat for certain games, will I be turned away if I rock up, fresh from a session without changing entirely? Seems a bit harsh.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Am I missing something here but has the 1901 area been marketed and sold as a corporate area? If so then this rule seems perfectly sensible after all they will need to project a certain corporate image, the same professional image that will attract business people to use the facilities away from matchdays.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ve sat in the platinum seats at The Emirates and I`m sure that there were shirts there that day. They are more than twice the price (and a bit more)of Falmer 1901 seats. Its a stupid idea, where some poncey idiots think they are better than others so they require a different dress code to prove it. Its a f***ing football ground.

bloomingood

Pull your socks up!!
Feb 14, 2011
chickenrun
Well as far as the answer from 'ask the club' goes yes they are banned!
I do understand it to a degree but I think it's sad. Have you ever been to Newcastle on a match day, I have, a full stadium with 9 out of ten in black and white, including the chairman! What a spectacle that is, OK Ashley is a prick and Tony is a Saint......... goes without saying!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well as far as the answer from 'ask the club' goes yes they are banned!
I do understand it to a degree but I think it's sad. Have you ever been to Newcastle on a match day, I have, a full stadium with 9 out of ten in black and white, including the chairman! What a spectacle that is, OK Ashley is a prick and Tony is a Saint......... goes without saying!

I've just seen Insider's response on this matter. It appears to contradict the licence agreement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I just think the club are being a but stupid really. What difference does it make to a few corporate jollies if some wear football stripes. It's a bloody football match for christs sakes. And with a 2,000 membership it's hardly exclusive is it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly the face of football is changing and if you want to be in the best areas you clearly now need to dress according to stipulated rules bound to the type of ticket you purchased.

Personally I do not wear colours ever however I do find this a very strange decision or perhaps the prompt for a new line of Albion casual clothing ?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
5211102369_c3a5ee3bc7.jpg

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Sadly the face of football is changing and if you want to be in the best areas you clearly now need to dress according to stipulated rules bound to the type of ticket you purchased.

Personally I do not wear colours ever however I do find this a very strange decision or perhaps the prompt for a new line of Albion casual clothing ?

Blue and white striped suit perhaps?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blue and white striped suit perhaps?

Could be, perhaps someone should commission a reputable tailor to make one and see what reaction it gets, would be quiet funny

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I`ve sat in the platinum seats at The Emirates and I`m sure that there were shirts there that day. They are more than twice the price (and a bit more)of Falmer 1901 seats. Its a stupid idea, where some poncey idiots think they are better than others so they require a different dress code to prove it. Its a f***ing football ground.

:amex:

Oct 2, 2008
I agree with much of what has been posted on here. I can understand why the club want to create a certain culture/ambience in the 1901 club areas and the smart casual/corporate dress code no doubt fits in with that. I also agree that no one who signed up for the 1901 club can have been in any serious doubt what they were getting into so this should not come as any surprise. Personally , this just reinforces my decision not to consider the 1901 club which runs counter to everything that I believe matchday at the Albion is about (my view only and no criticism of the club or those who have joined up - each to his own but defintely not for me).

Duncan Muir

Dec 29, 2008
Laughton, East Sussex
The fact of the matter is that I was never told of the majority of these restrictions when I went to my 1901 presentation .... no trainers a case in point.
Since last May, when I signed up for the 1901 club, they have been adding and changing / tweaking the dress code on a regular basis. It seems that they are making it up as they go along.
You would have thought that with all the detailed organisation that has gone into building our wonderful stadium that when the 1901 club was first advertised they would have had a list of restrictions to give to interested parties from day one - and stuck to it !

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Standard etiquette, surely? I have never worn a Sussex shirt in hospitality at Hove and would not dream of doing so.

If it's 'standard', it's a community standard, so people oblige because they recognise it's the done thing.

Having rules to stipulate it is another thing entirely.

Sounds like for the poor 1901ers, going to watch the Albion will bs a bit like working for one of those ghastly corporate concerns where everyone dresses to a code, rather than being part of a community. And to think that some posters mocked those of us who said we were uncomfortable with how the club's values seemed to be changing.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What makes me laugh is half the arfur dailies who represent brighton's corporate "elite" currently rock up to the withdean in "smart casual" and look like extras from my big fat gypsy wedding! Hmm, yes, wearing a replica shirt is really going to lower the standards isn't it with all those gold chains and tatoos round peoples necks? If you asked someone to play Mozart they'd probably tell you they don't pick the away team in all likelihood.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I also agree that no one who signed up for the 1901 club can have been in any serious doubt what they were getting into so this should not come as any surprise.

Different people appear to have been told different things. I asked at my presentation what the dress code would be and was told that replica shirts would not be allowed, except possibly for children. I asked if what I was wearing at the time would be ok and was told yes. I was wearing trainers.

Some people seem to have been given the impression that replica shirts would be allowed.

Only now that people have signed up have they been told something different.

We are not getting a clear and consistent message. The response from the insider is not reflected in the licence agreement which only explicitly states that shirts of the opposing team will not be acceptable.

So if I turn up in a home shirt and trainers and a copy of my licence agreement can I be refused entry on these grounds? I suspect they can only discourage not prohibit certain clothes if not stated in the agreement.

Last edited:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Well, i guess i'll be getting my lois, la coste and pringle back out along with my kickers hope that will be casual enough?

Perhaps thats what they REALLY mean?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm just going to lop my cock out in the club bar, it's blue and white, and I consider very smart casual!

There is a fair chance that no one will notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here