Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now Labour score own goal with poster...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1 day wasn't it ?. It was done because of the ERM and the alignment with the German Deutschmark. It didn't work and rates fell immediately when we pulled out of the arrangement.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
my bet would be deliberately wrong , as an aside, tell me how long rates stayed at 15 per cent ?

Why is that important? Surely the important quesstion should be how long rates were high generally? Or how many people lost their homes as a result?

D

Deleted member 2719

You are joking yes?.................interest rates at 16%......i lost my home and it cost me 10k (probably 30k in todays money). Now i know there are people who are suffering or have suffered more in todays climate but from my experience it was NOT a lot better under the Tories. In my view they were clueless then and have not learnt a lot since. As for Labour spin.........i think the Tories invented it and exploit it far more. Satcchi and Satcchi Posters ect ect......

The problem is mate we know what the current Labour lot are like do we really know how the new Tories will run the country?

I cannot see it getting any worse only if Labour got in again, as we have years to get back on track.

It is a bad situation when losing a home i am sure, but was it totally the tories fault or could there have been other circumstances that did not help you at the time.???

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
The problem is mate we know what the current Labour lot are like do we really know how the new Tories will run the country?

I cannot see it getting any worse only if Labour got in again, as we have years to get back on track.

It is a bad situation when losing a home i am sure, but was it totally the tories fault or could there have been other circumstances that did not help you at the time.???

Circumstances aside.....all i know is my mortgage went up from £300 to over £600, a lot of money then. The value of the house went down from 72kto 50k and the housing market collasped, if you think the Tories have the policies and not the spin to improve this current mess we are in and improve on this current goverments record since then........well i just hope you are right for everyone sake. I cant see it somehow i just have that feeling Cameron will win and his "policy fits all" agenda will put in jeapody the slow progress that the economy is making. Everyone wants a change and goverments usually last less than three terms but for me the Tories are more spin/smoke and mirrors than Labour ever have been. Its easier to look like a credible alternative to the present goverment whilst in opposition but my real fear is that Cameron is a similar politician to Blair........without Blair's intellect and leadership. So in my opinion could it get worse under the Tories? For me Yes and for the economy.......probably.:eek:

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

but my real fear is that Cameron is a similar politician to Blair........without Blair's intellect and leadership. So in my opinion could it get worse under the Tories? For me Yes and for the economy.......probably.:eek:

Have you now changed your position on Blair now then mate cos i always thought you believed him to be able to walk on water!!

I would put myself up for the leadership but you probably wouldn't like my policies.:smile:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Have you now changed your position on Blair now then mate cos i always thought you believed him to be able to walk on water!!

I would put myself up for the leadership but you probably wouldn't like my policies.:smile:

Not changed position mate............whatever people think of Blair i think he was a clever politition. Opinions are divided on this issue but he was the catalyst to change the labour party to an electable party under his leadership.I used to detest Margaret Thatcher but there was no doubt she was a formidable leader and someone who, even her rivals admired. Cameron, i really cannot see as a leader, he has the spin and charisma of Blair but i cannot see he has the vision Blair had for his Party and country. Maybe he will come to the fold when he is elected, and i will be first to admit Brown offers little as opposition in the charisma stakes but he seems a safer pair of hands to me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Circumstances aside.....all i know is my mortgage went up from £300 to over £600, a lot of money then. The value of the house went down from 72kto 50k and the housing market collasped, if you think the Tories have the policies and not the spin to improve this current mess we are in and improve on this current goverments record since then........well i just hope you are right for everyone sake. I cant see it somehow i just have that feeling Cameron will win and his "policy fits all" agenda will put in jeapody the slow progress that the economy is making. Everyone wants a change and goverments usually last less than three terms but for me the Tories are more spin/smoke and mirrors than Labour ever have been. Its easier to look like a credible alternative to the present goverment whilst in opposition but my real fear is that Cameron is a similar politician to Blair........without Blair's intellect and leadership. So in my opinion could it get worse under the Tories? For me Yes and for the economy.......probably.:eek:

I'll take your losses under the Tories and trump them with :

> My property portfolio has reduced in value by 20% under Labour
> My property development company lost just shy of £500k in the property crash under Labour
> My personal pension lost 50% under Labour
> My ISAs lost nearly 30% under Labour

Labour know nothing about running the economy - at this present moment in time I don't care who replaces Labour but they MUST be removed !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

> My property development company lost just shy of £500k in the property crash under Labour

Labour know nothing about running the economy - at this present moment in time I don't care who replaces Labour but they MUST be removed !

Are those losses since 1997? What was the total net worth of your assets both then and now?

I have no time for either party, but have done pretty well under both Tories and Labour, but I can't stand them.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are those losses since 1997? What was the total net worth of your assets both then and now?

I have no time for either party, but have done pretty well under both Tories and Labour, but I can't stand them.

Indeed they are since 1997. Ironically I did well under the Tories AND Labour - it's Gordon Browns Labour I've made my losses under. While I accept he couldn't have avoided the recession, he made it harder than it needed it to be and so I blame him and the current Labour party for some of my losses. Add that to the raid on my preserved pension schemes and I have no reason to vote Labour. That said I'm not keen on the Tories but I am positive I want rid of Labour.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Indeed they are since 1997. Ironically I did well under the Tories AND Labour - it's Gordon Browns Labour I've made my losses under. While I accept he couldn't have avoided the recession, he made it harder than it needed it to be and so I blame him and the current Labour party for some of my losses. Add that to the raid on my preserved pension schemes and I have no reason to vote Labour. That said I'm not keen on the Tories but I am positive I want rid of Labour.

The issue I have with the pension scheme is that if the government did not tax pension companies on their dividend income, the money would have had to have been raised elsewhere, so it would still have cost us all money.

The pension companies also cream off huge sums for themselves, regardless of the level of performance and service they provide.

I can see why you would not want to vote Labour, I work in the public sector these days, you can no doubt see why I would not want to vote Tory.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut

Hardly a Trump though when it was Thatcher who introduced the Pension "Holiday scheme", Property development companies faired a lot worse under the "80's" crash, the stock market crashed, endowments (pre ISA) crashed. I have every sympathy for you but if you think a change of goverment will without a doubt improve your financial investments i think you may not have experienced the last incompetent shower!:down:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The issue I have with the pension scheme is that if the government did not tax pension companies on their dividend income, the money would have had to have been raised elsewhere, so it would still have cost us all money.

The pension companies also cream off huge sums for themselves, regardless of the level of performance and service they provide.

I can see why you would not want to vote Labour, I work in the public sector these days, you can no doubt see why I would not want to vote Tory.

And there in lies the dilema !

Labour - bunch of f*** wits
Tories - can we trust them ?
Lib Dem - ignoring Belloti, Baker and LDC, a bit of a wasted vote down here
Green - ha ha ha ha ha
UKIP - I'd vote for them based on their European stance but once again a wasted vote
BNP - even bigger ha ha ha ha

So who's left to vote for ? Time for a "None of the above box" !

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Hardly a Trump though when it was Thatcher who introduced the Pension "Holiday scheme", Property development companies faired a lot worse under the "80's" crash, the stock market crashed, endowments (pre ISA) crashed. I have every sympathy for you but if you think a change of goverment will without a doubt improve your financial investments i think you may not have experienced the last incompetent shower!:down:

The pension issue was nothing to do with Thatcher - GB introduced the tax that stunted the growth of pension schemes.

You may well be right about the 80's but thankfully I wasn't in property at that time. I can only judge the current government on it's policies and actions - in this case the one thing I can assure everyone - I won't give my vote to Labour. Who it goes to is open to negoiation.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
And there in lies the dilema !

Labour - bunch of f*** wits
Tories - can we trust them ?
Lib Dem - ignoring Belloti, Baker and LDC, a bit of a wasted vote down here
Green - ha ha ha ha ha
UKIP - I'd vote for them based on their European stance but once again a wasted vote
BNP - even bigger ha ha ha ha

So who's left to vote for ? Time for a "None of the above box" !

Well i do agree...........err nearly:lolol:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
The pension issue was nothing to do with Thatcher - GB introduced the tax that stunted the growth of pension schemes.

You may well be right about the 80's but thankfully I wasn't in property at that time. I can only judge the current government on it's policies and actions - in this case the one thing I can assure everyone - I won't give my vote to Labour. Who it goes to is open to negoiation.

GB may have introduced Taxes that stunted the GROWTH of Pension schemes, but the Thatcher cabinet allowed Pension "Holidays" which resulted in Pension's to shrink!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And to bring this thread back to where it began...

Image1-4.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
GB may have introduced Taxes that stunted the GROWTH of Pension schemes, but the Thatcher cabinet allowed Pension "Holidays" which resulted in Pension's to shrink!

I try and avoid these political debates now but must bring you up on this. The whole point of Pensions Holidays was to encourage private companies to keep final salary schemes. Pensions holidays were/are only available if schemes themselves were funded by more than something like 120% according to actuarial valuations. Essentially the parent company had put in 20% more money than was needed to keep the fund nice and healthy and topped up to full. And the holiday was just that - a break until the funding dropped below this maximum limit. At no time was an underfunded scheme allowed a holiday.

In fact in 1997, when GB was chancellor he effectively killed off final salary schemes with his tax on dividends. Check out Hansard and he makes specific reference to the healthy surpluses enjoyed by schemes.

Nowadays, outside the public sector almost all final salary schemes are closed to new members and the PCSPS (principal civil service pension scheme - the one for central government employees) is unfunded - this means that the government underwrites the whole scheme so there is no pot of money or actuarial valuation. GB has completely killed off company final pension schemes.

The other thing is that pension schemes are often huge shareholders in companies. Income goes down by 20% because of this tax so they demand bigger dividends which companies have to service at the cost of greater inward investment, hence greater short-termism in the UK stockmarket and business.

Make no bones about it. GB f***ed up a system that was working very nicely. For that alone he ought to be kicked from office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here