Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notts County on final warning

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
woodster said:
a sad irony dont you think that the oldest club could possibly be the first to disappear.
surely someone will save them?

Maidstone?
The original Aldershot?

Nobody saved them.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
That is the crux of the matter: players’ wages, the role of agents and the rampant greed in the modern game. The ludicrously inflated wage structure at the top has inflated the wages of far lesser players to the point where many cash-strapped clubs can’t afford them, and nevertheless sign them due to glory hunter/media pressure. (The people who call our chairman ‘Dick Tight’ would presumably like to see the Albion in the same position - hats off to a board who have won two Championships while paying out millions to shut up a couple of whining blue rinse Falmer tree huggers and without laying out a penny in transfer fees since Bobby!)

Having said that, we have no idea of the reasons behind the Notts County situation, and whatever they are, it is not the true fans’ fault. Why should they have to start all over again at the bottom of the pyramid because some asset-stripper or incompetent has ruined their club? There were people in the 90s (including, for a considerable length of time, the FA!) who said that we were ‘just a business’ and that Archer, as ‘owner’ had run the club ‘incompetently’ and it should be allowed to die. We all know what we said to them!

Tim, you should be ashamed of yourself! What would YOU have said to someone who suggested we start off again in the Sussex County League?

Oppose the asset strippers and incompetents. But ALWAYS give fellow fans your support. It’s our game, not theirs!!!

This poem was written for the visitingYork fans at a time when things were not going well at Bootham Crescent. After a series of supporters’ demonstrations the York manager said of the protests, ‘It’s a symptom of modern society’ . We know all about comments like that!

A SYMPTOM OF MODERN SOCIETY....
(York, February 24 2001)

It’s a symptom of modern society.
When our team’s getting stuffed, we complain!
When our history’s sold for developers’ gold
We protest again and again!

When we’re told we’re ‘half-wits’ who ‘make trouble’
We get angry and filled with suspicion.
‘Cos behind talk like that there’s quite often a rat
Abusing a hallowed position....

We’re no longer just dumb cannon fodder.
We’re the fans, it’s our club, and we care.
We want participation, not patronisation!
Let us in - we’ll do more than our share.

Please don’t tell us to ‘mind our own business’.
It’s our ‘business’ as much as it’s yours!
We’ve been there since the start, we’re the lifeblood, the heart.
Ever played a match behind closed doors?

We supporters have got off our knees!
It’s a symptom we’re going to encourage -
Until it becomes a disease!

Stumpy Tim

attila said:
Th
This poem was written for the visitingYork fans at a time when things were not going well at Bootham Crescent. After a series of supporters’ demonstrations the York manager said of the protests, ‘It’s a symptom of modern society’ . We know all about comments like that!

A SYMPTOM OF MODERN SOCIETY....
(York, February 24 2001)

When our team’s getting stuffed, we complain!
When our history’s sold for developers’ gold
We protest again and again!

When we’re told we’re ‘half-wits’ who ‘make trouble’
We get angry and filled with suspicion.
‘Cos behind talk like that there’s quite often a rat
Abusing a hallowed position....

We’re no longer just dumb cannon fodder.
We’re the fans, it’s our club, and we care.
We want participation, not patronisation!
Let us in - we’ll do more than our share.

Please don’t tell us to ‘mind our own business’.
It’s our ‘business’ as much as it’s yours!
We’ve been there since the start, we’re the lifeblood, the heart.
Ever played a match behind closed doors?

We supporters have got off our knees!
It’s a symptom we’re going to encourage -
Until it becomes a disease!

You sound like Rick from the Young Ones. Peoples Poet my f***ing arse

Some of us met the Nott County chairman, and he was the nicest bloke going. We had great banter during the 2-2 draw at the Withdean. He hasn't tried to make money out of the club- they're just not making money. Make a poem out of that - dullard

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
Tim, you should be ashamed of yourself! What would YOU have said to someone who suggested we start off again in the Sussex County League?

Would we be where we are now? - no
Would I have been pleased? - no.
Would it have been the end of the world? - no

I could argue that we were a 'special case' seeing as Archer deliberately set out to take as down whereas I think Notts County are in their position simply through crass finacial mis-managment as opposed to asset stripping. However it doesn't alter the fact that just bailing clubs out doesn't solve their problems. So Notts County raise x thousand pounds and save themselves - this time. Unless football changes they'll be straight back in it again. I'm pleased the FA are finally standing up to clubs who think it's ok to live well beyond their means (and contribute to the greed phenomena in the process) and then give the old 'Hey we can't go bust, we're a much-loved local football club' line.

Both Leicester City and Bradford City should be back in their respective County Leagues as opposed to just being allowed to carry on as if nothing had happened. Hopefully Leeds WILL end up in the Yorkshire League. In the Leeds case a lot of financial institutions will be out of pocket. Do you want to contribute to a 'Save Leeds' campaign so that Barclays Bank can protect their investment?

Stumpy Tim

Both Leicester City and Bradford City should be back in their respective County Leagues as opposed to just being allowed to carry on as if nothing had happened. Hopefully Leeds WILL end up in the Yorkshire League. In the Leeds case a lot of financial institutions will be out of pocket. Do you want to contribute to a 'Save Leeds' campaign so that Barclays Bank can protect their investment? [/B]

To quote Rick, "Marangue.. Boomaranug.... Big. Shut up Vivian I'm trying to free form"

I'm sure we'll get some stupid poem back soon that will set us all straight & the world will be great again

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Greed is a problem in the game today. Too many are trying to make too much out of our sport. From chairmen, administrators, players, agents, to the media. Earn a living please, but not at the cost of the game and the clubs.

The FA has an atrocious record as custodian of our game at the professional level, and with a lack of foresight it failed to put in measures that would protect clubs from selfish, greedy people.

From his first actions it looks like Palios may be prepared to stand up to the big clubs. That is why the Rio case is important. A slap on the wrist and it is another era of open season for the greedy.

I don't know the details of County's financial problems, but it looks like the people of Nottingham vote with their feet.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
oh god,
why
am I so much more sensitive than everybody else ?
why
do I feel things so much more acutely than them,
and understand so much more.
I bet I'm the first person who's ever felt as rotten as this.
could it be
that I'm going to grow up
to be a great poet and thinker, and all those other wankers in my
class are going to have to work in factories or go on the dole?
yes, I think it could.

Rick - The Peoples Poet :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Chairmen and chairmen only are to blame.

They control the purse strings - it is their greed that makes them pay stupid wages to players.

Pay sensible wages - and use the money to develop better football facilities for the community and better stadiums (with decent catering, transport - and most of all affordabality for families!)

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
OH great idea..............lets not really care if Notts County go down the pan.
The fans deserve all they get, its totally their fault the club has been mismanaged. OH PLEASE!!

Memories are short, Had it not been for DK we probably would not even have a team let alone be playing from the Southern Counties League.
I will be going to the Notts County game on the 22nd and if the buckets are out I will certainly contribute.
I remember how other fans have supported us in our time of need.
Memories indeed are short Sod you Jack Im alright.

Very Angry !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Titanic said:
Chairmen and chairmen only are to blame.

They control the purse strings - it is their greed that makes them pay stupid wages to players.

Pay sensible wages - and use the money to develop better football facilities for the community and better stadiums (with decent catering, transport - and most of all affordabality for families!)

Surely that is not always the case. All too often they'll come in with the best of intentions, only to be hounded out for not being "competitive". Fans often expect too much and as soon as the chairman decides not to put his own money into the club, they expect him to ship out.

It's a whole raft of people who are at fault. Incompetent chairmen, ignorant and selfish television companies, greedy agents and players are all to blame.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Each case is different, in that our reasons for being in trouble are different to those of County which are different from those of Leeds.

In County's case they overreached themselves. Bad management by the board. But 17 months is a long time in administration, and the attendances haven't exactly been huge.

As far as who is to blame I agree with Simster that it's a huge raft of stakeholders who have contributed to this mess, but I personally blame Sky most of all.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A chairman who gives into that sort of pressure shoudln't be in the job.

Agents and players can only get what a chairman is willing to pay - based on his own ego, greed or incompentance.

TV companies can only sell what people will pay for (or advertisers will pay for because enough people watch it) - why is that ignorant or selfish ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Locky said:
OH great idea..............lets not really care if Notts County go down the pan.
The fans deserve all they get, its totally their fault the club has been mismanaged. OH PLEASE!!

Memories are short, Had it not been for DK we probably would not even have a team let alone be playing from the Southern Counties League.
I will be going to the Notts County game on the 22nd and if the buckets are out I will certainly contribute.
I remember how other fans have supported us in our time of need.
Memories indeed are short Sod you Jack Im alright.

Very Angry !!

In a way, we were lucky. Our time of need occurred right at the peek of the football boom. All around us, similar sized clubs were building new stadiums, paying for foreign players on the back of TV money previously never heard of, and consequently gaining exposure, mostly in the top two divisions. It was easy to see that we were being shafted and people who love the national game didn't like it one bit.

But things have changed now. ITV disgracefully pulled the plug on OnDigital and clubs were sent into administration left right and centre. Is that the fault of ITV or the useless FA legal department who clearly did nothing to safeguard their television money.

Now people are tired of bailing out clubs, especially as time goes on and the perception is magnified that is less and less the fault of ITV. Bury & Lincoln wanted us to buy seats. We did. Leicester just wrote off their debts and started again. Nice for the local businesses owed money eh? Bradford were just incompetent, Leeds have got themselves to blame. As for Oldham, Notts County, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc etc. Were they all really that dependent on ITV as lower division clubs?

It's not OUR fault if the English public is fed up of bailing out football clubs. I've got better things to spend my money on. I don't even go now because money is tight and I have 2 young kids to feed. I really wish Notts COunty fans the best of luck, they don't deserve this mess, but why should I put my money in a begging bucket for a club I have no real interest in? It's time the FA stepped in and actually did something to justify the enormous amount of money that these clubs generate for them. Some rudimentary checks on potential new league club owners would be a start.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Titanic said:
A chairman who gives into that sort of pressure shoudln't be in the job.

Agents and players can only get what a chairman is willing to pay - based on his own ego, greed or incompentance.

TV companies can only sell what people will pay for (or advertisers will pay for because enough people watch it) - why is that ignorant or selfish ?

Some chairman have been threatened with their lives. Ridsdale for one. At one stage he could do no wrong, now people want him dead? But yes these are exceptions and you're probably right about them reacting to pressure properly.

ITV Digital were selfish when they pulled the plug on OnDigital instead of trying to make it work with money from their parent companies. They were quite happy to see 20 or so clubs potentially go bust and it was entirely avoidable.

And I don't like the way Sky manipulates it's own TV deals. Smaller Premiership clubs are shown at the beginning of the season to get their obligations out of the way. Then it's all about the top 4 or 5 which is boring for everyone else. And big clubs seem to have to endure more than their fair share of ridiculous kick off times. No one cares about the interests of the fans who make the trips.
The devaluation of the FA Cup - once the finest club knockout tournament in the world - is entirely down to the FA selling it to the highest bidder and the TV companies screwing every last bit of exposure out of the competition with no regard to it's long term health. Hence half empty stadiums right up to the last 8 (even including one or two semis)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
but who gives into the ridiculous kick offs, the unfeasibly large deal from ITV Digital, the devaluation of the FA Cup ? and why ?

Chairmen; greed and ego :nono:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ridsdale gets what he deserves!

He made himself the Premiership's highest-paid director with a whopping £600,000 salary in 2001.

David O'Leary was handed a 10-year contract which eventually cost a potential £4m to tear up.

Terry Venables was appointed as new highly-paid coach.
£10m-rated Lee Bowyer and Olivier Dacourt were allowed to run down their contracts and eventually leave for next to nothing.

Robbie Fowler was signed for £11m then sold for £7m, with Leeds still paying an estimated £500,000 of his annual salary to Manchester City.

Robbie Keane sold for £7m just 15 months after signing for £12m.
Seth Johnson signed for £7m on an estimated £37,000 per week and has started only 15 Premiership games in nearly two years.

Top job, Peter - or greed and ego ? :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here