Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Notting Hill Carnival

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£400M it is suggested it brings in to the local economy over 2 days so good luck getting that ‘banned’

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Radio caller saying Glastonbury doesn't get the same level of publicity because it's full of white people.
That may well be a factor, but also:

• Glastonbury is on a contained site on private land, not city streets
  • The (recorded) crime level in Glastonbury is somewhat lower
  • The serious violent crime level (e.g. knifings) in Glastonbury is dramatically lower

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just out of curiosity, at the end of last week I checked how many of his/her posts had contained the word "dyslexia" since he/she had been posting. 53 (yep, fifty-three) of his/her 400 or so posts had included the word, in the space of about six weeks.

:ohmy:
Thinks to oneself..... "I must get out more!"
Nerd Computing GIF by Verohallinto

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just showing yourself up with that comment. Would be surprised if it were 50% take up.

What do you mean? Dwayne reckons everyone would live in London given the choice whereas I'm of the opinion that some people have different priorities. What do you disagree with?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I wonder why the event organisers don't have to pay the bill like football clubs do.
Unlike many other very large events, attendance is completely free and the organisers are the Carnival Village Trust, a small, registered charity.

It’s seen as a globally significant event that is only second to Rio’s carnival festival in size and reflects the diversity of Afro-Caribbean communities in London in arts and culture.

As such it is funded by the GLA, the Boroughs of Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea.

I guess if the local tax-paying residents of London want it cancelled then they need to elect a Mayor and/or Borough Councillors that want it so. However, given the revenue from tourism and benefit to local communities in fostering community engagement with the arts, that’s unlikely to happen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you don't live in Notting Hill and have no interested in attending then why on earth would you post to huff and puff about it on a Brighton football forum?
Oh, I know! I know! Can I have a go?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why ? Living in a house in Hampstead is much better than living in a house in Brighton surely !!

Ask people in England where they would live if money was no object and I'm sure 9/10 would say London I'm sure.
Yes but you need £10 million spare to do it if you want a half decent one.

Your second part is absolute nonsense. I'd even say it was the other way around. I lived in West Hampstead for 8 years, but once we had kids I wanted to get out pretty quickly. I absolutely loved living in London, but no way would I want to live there with 2 kids. Your priorities change.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes but you need £10 million spare to do it if you want a half decent one.

Your second part is absolute nonsense. I'd even say it was the other way around. I lived in West Hampstead for 8 years, but once we had kids I wanted to get out pretty quickly. I absolutely loved living in London, but no way would I want to live there with 2 kids. Your priorities change.
I think most people are missing my point.

What can you do in Sussex that you can't do in London ? Why did your priorities change ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What can you do in Sussex that you can't do in London ?
Watch Brighton mid-week without getting home after midnight.

Go to the beach.

Walk the dog on The Downs.

Visit Billingshurst

Watch Lewes v Whitehawk with a pint of Harvey's

Spend the day in Worthing 'just because'.

Buy a house for under £500,000

Go to a local pub full of all your friends before a Brighton match without having to set off at 9am

Bluebell railway with the kids

Get a ferry from Newhaven after a short drive

Eat a steak that hasn't been wrapped in gold leaf by a mad grifter

Cycle on country roads

Get organic eggs that have been laid that day from Mac's Farm

Go to a country pub

Walk the dog on the beach

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Do you ever stop to consider what a strange chap (or woman) you are?
Anyone could be forgiven for thinking that you're purely here to troll (and that's awful, if so), or simply to be a pain in the arse.
That said, if you had some kind of disability, that would kinda absolve you of any blame.
If so, please mention it so it can be taken into account.
Cheers.
He’s a troll with a disability (allegedly) which he uses as an excuse to be a prick.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That may well be a factor, but also:

• Glastonbury is on a contained site on private land, not city streets
  • The (recorded) crime level in Glastonbury is somewhat lower
  • The serious violent crime level (e.g. knifings) in Glastonbury is dramatically lower
Are you suggesting they are....different? ???

Fancy that! :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here