Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Notting Hill Carnival

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Horses for courses.

NSC is going to be biased about living on the Sussex coast. Whilst millions love living in London, many others would move there if they could afford to.
Precisely.

I know we are right. London is on its way down but it's still vastly more popular than anywhere in Sussex to live in.

I knew I would reel a few in with this stance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Precisely.

I know we are right. London is on its way down but it's still vastly more popular than anywhere in Sussex to live in.

I knew I would reel a few in with this stance.

Genuinely; imho NYC, London and Paris are all great, so much to do, the buzz, arts/gigs, melting pots of cultures, almost any career is feasible. Little wonder people flock to live there. The 2020 craze to leave London for the west country was very shortlived.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
What do you mean by 'robust'? See my post above
The Wembley disorder saw 86 arrests and no stabbings. Yet it prompted a government investigation and report, led by a baroness, to stop it from happening again. The Notting hill carnival has seen 249 arrests and 3 separate stabbings. However, it will be described as mostly peaceful and be allowed to happen without restriction next year. That's the difference in response I was referencing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Wembley disorder saw 86 arrests and no stabbings. Yet it prompted a government investigation and report, led by a baroness, to stop it from happening again. The Notting hill carnival has seen 249 arrests and 3 separate stabbings. However, it will be described as mostly peaceful and be allowed to happen without restriction next year. That's the difference in response I was referencing.
Well, I can see there is a difference.

One is a 90 minute football match with 85,000 attendees, and the other is a 3-day carnival with 2 million attendees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill_Carnival).

What would you propose to make them seem more like they are the same?

(Sorry to seem facetious but there is a trope that the police and Labour (who were, in fact, not in charge over the last 14 years) have gone in really hard on football hooligans and (especially) the recent anti-Muslim rioters, while giving a 'traditional' easy ride to the Blacks at the Notting hill Carnival. This is presumably because the police and the Labour party are scared of black people and are 'politically correct' and 'woke'.

My take on that trope is that it is a laughable load of old bollocks promoted by the Usual Suspects. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.)

"Despite its reputation for crime, Notting Hill Carnival arrests as a proportion of attendance is comparable to many other large events and festivals in the UK.[109]"

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Didn’t expect this thread to turn into a affluent dick swinging contest, but what do I know.

My home was described as a shit hole so I am entitled to respond in kind.

I'm not one for affluent dick swinging but for full transparency it's only fair for me to point out I also own a property in Sussex.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Well, I can see there is a difference.
One is a 90 minute football match with 85,000 attendees, and the other is a 3-day carnival with 2 million attendees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill_Carnival).
More than 23.7 million supporters passed through the turnstiles of an EFL competition in 2023/24. Still no stabbings.
My take on that trope is that it is a laughable load of old bollocks promoted by the Usual Suspects. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.)
The usual suspects being a retired Met Police detective chief inspector? Because just this week one called the carnival an example of two tier policing.
Despite its reputation for crime, Notting Hill Carnival arrests as a proportion of attendance is comparable to many other large events and festivals in the UK.[109]"
How about stabbings and deaths?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
More than 23.7 million supporters passed through the turnstiles of an EFL competition in 2023/24. Still no stabbings.

The usual suspects being a retired Met Police detective chief inspector? Because just this week one called the carnival an example of two tier policing.

I still don't understand the point you are trying to make. I said the events are different. What do you want?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hampstead is bollocks by the way. One of those fake cake and eat it inner city "villages".

I could easily offload my portfolio and buy something up there, but it's terribly nouveau riche.

Gordon Ramsey knows which is why is he one of my neighbours.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dwayne reminds me of Live by the Sea that used to be on here, he couldn’t work out why many people didn’t want to live in and around Church Rd Hove :smile:
Brighton and Hove are lovely places to live. It's just that some parts of London are more attractive to people with unlimited means.

For instance, we all know Tony bloom is the smartest man on the planet, where does he live ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Was that the same bloke I heard on radio 5 the other day blustering about woke this and politically correct that?

Not all retired met police are necessarily the best judges.

Of anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here