Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notice for intended termination of rivalry - Sign Up Here

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To have rivalry you need history, what history have you got with anyone else? We canhave Charlton as they ground shared with us we can have Millwall because they are scum from South London but nothing compares to Brighton and what Mullery started and many visits to the Goldstone.

:kiss:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
it's a depressing match day experience stuck in the 70s/80s and whilst many clubs have seen the value of improving their facilities and offering more than just the 90 minutes of football, Palace clearly haven't and are being left way behind by clubs such as ourselves and a host of other clubs. The Sky Sports generation expect far more than Palace can offer and as long as they stay stuck in their footballing timewarp they will continue to lose fans and slide into anonymity.

i'm going to stick my neck out here....

yes Selhurst is crap and.....
yes I wouldn't choose to have a drum at home games.... but.....

i thought the atmosphere last night was excellent - a true derby and clearly meant alot to both sets of fans. whilst the Palace fans in the home end have opted to become European sounding, there was definitely a lot of noise for most of the game from both sets of fans. i'll give Palace their dues, it was a lot better than a lot of the sterile/silent shit you see from many Prem clubs. for many, that was the only entertainment i needed as a youth at football, and i'd wager that's why a lot of the young Palace fans enjoy following them rather than crap like Fulham etc...

I thought the derby started to come back to life last night - two quite evenly matched sides. in the past (2002/2005) frankly i think we were just happt to be playing them again. now we're in this league on at least an equal footing (and gonig in right direction)..

once we start having games with promotion, playoff spots at stakes etc, we'll start creating the modern history many of those under the age of 35 haven't really experienced.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting thread

From a Bournemouth angle - if we had quite a good rivalry with you in the early 70's before Palace, who were your rivals before us? I presume Pompey??

Seems like alot of these rivalries have only developed in the last 40/50 years or so - Stains and Pompey, you and Palace, etc..
Bournemouth, Reading, Luton and Orient.

Has Stains-Pompey really only just surfaced in the last 40 or 50 years? I doubt that's true!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
In 10years time Crawley will be our main Rival. Palace are becoming a pathetic excuse of a club

What a silly comment...for the first time in the last 30 odd years Brighton have the upper hand, and all of a sudden Palace are not fit to be rivals:facepalm:

It beggers belief..when did BHA fans become so big headed and cocksure of themselfs.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Bournemouth, Reading, Luton and Orient.

Has Stains-Pompey really only just surfaced in the last 40 or 50 years? I doubt that's true!

..Well you hear stories of folk watching either team each week - 'my Dad' etc etc...all say it certainly 'ramped up' in the 60's. I must admit it would be interesting to have a cull of rivalries to see how many 'proper' historical ones there are and are still going now. Obviously Rangers - Celtic would be top...

Personally used to detest Reading and Gillingham - just finding it hard to get worked up anymore about other teams :yawn: shame!

Londoner

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
London
The way you reply shows desperation and worry, are you worried? We couldn't beat you, no. But we were all over you in the last 10-15 minutes, listening on the radio, this sounds like when you had all 11 men on the defensive....

However, it does seem quite strange you can't beat us at your ground though....

well listened in........:D did you not hear anymore of the game or just the last 15 mins? we really didnt need to beat you at our ground, it was much better beating you at YOUR ground 3-1 and in the History books of your club :D

Dick

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
This was more a case of me reminiscing about the old fanzine article. I was half expecting a couple of people to mention that they may have remembered it. ( Got right up my nose reading that, albeit 20Yrs plus ago ). I flogged all my old gulls eye's so I cannot scan a copy of it. I genuinely did not mean to open up a can of worms, so my apologies. Rest assured, there will always only be one REAL rival for me.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
well listened in........:D did you not hear anymore of the game or just the last 15 mins? we really didnt need to beat you at our ground, it was much better beating you at YOUR ground 3-1 and in the History books of your club :D

Dick

Who was the first League team to EVER win at Selhurst ?. Honest question.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
..Well you hear stories of folk watching either team each week - 'my Dad' etc etc...all say it certainly 'ramped up' in the 60's. I must admit it would be interesting to have a cull of rivalries to see how many 'proper' historical ones there are and are still going now. Obviously Rangers - Celtic would be top...

Personally used to detest Reading and Gillingham - just finding it hard to get worked up anymore about other teams :yawn: shame!

My old mate (now 80) recalls back in the 40/50s one week Palace and one week Charlton and if neither were at home off they poped to Millwall, and it was not just him, football was cheap you could pay at the door, and saturdays were for football.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Forget a rivalry which for me goes back over 35 years ... I think not

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
School Playground Fights

In the sixties its was Chelsea because of two acrimonious Cup ties. But more importantly, some Chelsea supporters had moved into the neighbourhood and some of their offspring might go to the same schools. The first Palace game eclipsed all but the Chelsea games. Then the frequency of the Palace games left Chelsea in the doldrums of the Second Division.

I don't like the culture of Bromley and Croydon and Catford* so I'd sooner they stay up in sarf London and do not come down here. There is always going to be friction between Brighton and London clubs, mostly Palace, West Ham and Spurs, because more of them move down here (sometimes cause they are thrown out their own towns for being a nuisance).

*Usually though of a Millwall territory but I knew a Palace supporter from there. Moved down here to get away from the Richardsons.

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Who was the first League team to EVER win at Selhurst ?. Honest question.

From Wiki. I see Palace owe Brighton a thank you.

In 1922 the site, a former brickfield, was bought from the Brighton Railway Company for £2,570. The stadium (designed by Scottish stadium architect Archibald Leitch) was constructed by Humphreys of Kensington (a firm regularly used by Leitch) for around £30,000, and was officially opened by the Lord Mayor of London on 30 August 1924. There was then only one stand (the present Main Stand), but this was unfinished due to industrial action; Crystal Palace played Sheffield Wednesday and lost 0–1 in front of 25,000 fans.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting thread

From a Bournemouth angle - if we had quite a good rivalry with you in the early 70's before Palace, who were your rivals before us? I presume Pompey??

Seems like alot of these rivalries have only developed in the last 40/50 years or so - Stains and Pompey, you and Palace, etc..
I think the Portsmouth/Southampton rivalry is much older than that and goes beyond football as well.

But yeah, when I first started following Brighton in 1966 Bournemouth were seen as the 'main' rivals with other clubs coming and going much as they do now: I remember there was a bit of a thing with Fulham for a while and other people remember Luton, Reading, Aldershot and Swindon all featuring at some time. However once the Palace rivalry took off it put all others, including the Bournemouth one, in the shade, it was really intense. Perhaps unsurprisingly it's not nearly so strong now though, despite the best efforts of certain posters on here to keep it alive!

Not sure about rivalry in the early 1960s or before, one of the (very) old posters might be able to answer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Yep, watching several clubs was especially true in south London. I was dragged along once to see Palace beat Manchester United 5-0 and Portsmouth beat Sunderland 5-0.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
f for the first time in recent years we are potentially going to be more successful than the pock-faced pikeys, I for one will be very keen to elevate the rivalry to hitherto extraordinary levels.

Rather than bin it off we should now commence a delight in the rivlary as we are now perfectly placed to gloat. Something that those disgusting little peasants have rightly done to us for the last 25 years.

The unpalatable truth is that they have played at a higher level, in front of bigger crowds and sustained their existence in the top two leagues for the last 3 decades pretty much.

We on the other hand have been slugging it out with Orient, Barnet, Oxford, Southend in front of crowds under 7k - even in the 1991 play off year we averaged around 8k - so let's just keep things in perspecitve.

Now the wheel of fortune has started to turn our way. I have paid my dues for many years to get to this moment. I have been taunted on trains, escalators on the tube with those bastards singing what division are you in? - for the last 15 years in particular it has been painful.

Now we have the upper hand potentially and a stadium and fan base that for the first time since the 70's has a match day experience to savour and a brand of football to enjoy.

Let's see how the next 10 years pan out and make it happen. For i shall revel in the moment of rubbing a pikeys face in the mud and gloating at their broken shell of a club, shit players, dwindling crowds and miserable existence.

But don't forget why this feels so amazing - because we have been flat on our faces for 20 years. Bin the rivalry?????? Do me a favour!!!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can we seriously consider this pathetic lot as serious rivals anymore.

2 - Play goal music ( Enough said )
3 - Any team who's fans bang a f***** drum for 90 minutes, to cover for the total lack of vocal support is just plain wrong. Did not hear one chant from them all game.
4 - have the audacity to call themselves Ultra's.
I think these are all great reasons for having them as rivals. I detest their goal music, and their drum is embarrassing. Just how I want to think of our rivals. The last thing I want is to respect them and think they're a good club.

I couldn't care less about SCC. Adkins is a twat, as is Hammond, but they won't be there forever.

Londoner

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
London
f for the first time in recent years we are potentially going to be more successful than the pock-faced pikeys, I for one will be very keen to elevate the rivalry to hitherto extraordinary levels.

Rather than bin it off we should now commence a delight in the rivlary as we are now perfectly placed to gloat. Something that those disgusting little peasants have rightly done to us for the last 25 years.

The unpalatable truth is that they have played at a higher level, in front of bigger crowds and sustained their existence in the top two leagues for the last 3 decades pretty much.

We on the other hand have been slugging it out with Orient, Barnet, Oxford, Southend in front of crowds under 7k - even in the 1991 play off year we averaged around 8k - so let's just keep things in perspecitve.

Now the wheel of fortune has started to turn our way. I have paid my dues for many years to get to this moment. I have been taunted on trains, escalators on the tube with those bastards singing what division are you in? - for the last 15 years in particular it has been painful.

Now we have the upper hand potentially and a stadium and fan base that for the first time since the 70's has a match day experience to savour and a brand of football to enjoy.

Let's see how the next 10 years pan out and make it happen. For i shall revel in the moment of rubbing a pikeys face in the mud and gloating at their broken shell of a club, shit players, dwindling crowds and miserable existence.

But don't forget why this feels so amazing - because we have been flat on our faces for 20 years. Bin the rivalry?????? Do me a favour!!!!!!

Spot on, although you think Zaha is shit, check your own boards for Palace players you would like Zaha, Clyne, Speroni were the top 3 I think, you would not like any of them!!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Can't rewrite history. They ARE our rivals.

Have to say I didn't really enjoy last night. Seemed like a lot of idiots out - big groups of shouty kids with lager cans banging any metal wall/car/ceiling they passed. 70's hooligans now grown-up who were more interested in getting rid of their pent-up aggression at the Palace fans than actually watching the game. Felt more like a war zone than a football match.

Is here a good place to say that I thought the flying eagle was really cool?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here