Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not being melodramatic but does anyone think we appear stagnant in the transfer mkt?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Whatever will be , will be................................... so where are the bloody signings , come on where is the gem !!!!! ooooops patience

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Does anyone else wonder if, for some of the players we have been talking to, part of the sales pitch was "you'll be playing with Vicente"...?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You can try these for a start:

The Promised Land by Władysław Reymont

Witold Gombrowicz's Ferdydurke

and The Career of Nicodemus Dyzma by Tadeusz Dołęga-Mostowicz.

The Career of Nicodemus Dyzma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to hijack a thread too much but you've just demonstrated why DKM had to ask for Polish novels. You give three examples, two of which, according to Amazon, have not been translated into English and a third that has, but is out of print. I think a lot of Eastern European literature is unknown over here and we'd struggle to name many writers (apart from Czech ones - there are plenty of translations of those). I've certainly not read many Polish novelists apart from Lem - and Conrad of course, but he doesn't really count.

It's certainly a more interesting area than the non-question of why we haven't signed anyone by 1 July.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The poster has a point in that any new signings are going to need time to adjust to our system. This passing game will work better if time is spent practicing and understanding your team-mates qualities. Pre-season should ideally be all about having the team in place as early as possible and working hard on tactics and movement.

Wow what a revolutionary idea, maybe you should share this with Gus. Clearly the reason we don't have our full squad in place at the start of pre-season training is because he didn't realise it would help, so hasn't bothered trying to sign anyone and has just sat about doing nothing all day. It's nothing to do with the fact that signing players takes time, and that the longer potential signings hold out in negotiations, the better deal they'll get. It's all down to Gus being lazy and thinking he'll just sort it all out with a few days to go.

Sometimes I really do wonder about people on here.

May 8, 2008
Portslade
I can see why a few squeaky bums are starting to sound. We can see the new parts of the stadium taking shape, it's unlikely Mr Vicente will be here next year, Gus feeds us lines about new players who take a while to arrive and everybody who loves the Albion wants everything to be in place as soon as possible.

May also be due to the fact the close season is just so bloody long and we're getting frustrated at not being able to get our fix just yet.

Trust in Gus guys...he'll deliver and I bet we'll all be on here singing his praises shortly.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Mac Hong Quan??

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Le Cong Vinh?

Unbelievable goalscoring record at club and international level......

Think of the commercial benefits.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Brighton are no more or less active than most other championship teams, it's always a bit of a waiting game at this time of year, seeing when the dominos are going to start falling. There's not much money around, Burnley and the relegated teams will have a bit to spend..... Sheff Wed have made some good signings and Blackburn obv look busy but outside of that you're in the same boat as everyone else, not much going on in or out.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Same pyramid that it is every year, you need to wait for the PL teams to do their shopping and then we get to pick over the fall out along with the other Championship sides. Always been the same, I'm sure that Gus will want as many in as possible before the training camp...

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Not to hijack a thread too much but you've just demonstrated why DKM had to ask for Polish novels. You give three examples, two of which, according to Amazon, have not been translated into English and a third that has, but is out of print. I think a lot of Eastern European literature is unknown over here and we'd struggle to name many writers (apart from Czech ones - there are plenty of translations of those). I've certainly not read many Polish novelists apart from Lem - and Conrad of course, but he doesn't really count.

No English translations? What a shame. I chose three classics (one of them by a winner
of Nobel Prize in Literature) precisely because I was convinced there have to be English
translations of them. Maybe it's because of the language? Polish is extremely hard not only
to learn but also to translate from, without losing a lot in the process. How many of us would
have heard about Joyce, O'Connor, Yeats or Wilde, if they had written in Irish Gaelic only?
On the other hand, you say there are translations of Czech novels available. Ah, well.

I apologize for dragging the thread "slightly" off-topic, but the the lack of translations
of Polish literature into English is indeed a very interesting matter. Hopefully, with the
increasing influence of Polish expats in the UK, this will change soon.

Last edited:

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
They look worth reading - shame about the translations.

Still - good to have you with us Guy.

Cheers. Good to be here on NSC. Your football will always be the best, no matter
who is the World or European champion at the moment, or who wins the Champions
League. The atmosphere, the soul of the sport, the supporters, and something extra,
this certain je ne sais quoi is what fascinates people about English football.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cheers. Good to be here on NSC. Your football will always be the best, no matter
who is the World or European champion at the moment, or who wins the Champions
League. The atmosphere, the soul of the sport, the supporters, and something extra,
this certain je ne sais quoi is what fascinates people about English football.

Czesc Guy! Co slywac?

Not sure about Lisowski Guy. Bit slow and easily turned. May not be suited to the english games... betterr as a FULL BACK than a pushing forward wingback isn't he? Last time I saw him he was Widzew so may have quickened up.

Agree that EK not as good as the Championship.... I support Radomiak whove just made it to league 2 and I think they would struggle against Eastbourne Boro not in Poland now but watch highlights of Radomiak games on the net)!!

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Czesc Guy! Co slywac?

Not sure about Lisowski Guy. Bit slow and easily turned. May not be suited to the english games... betterr as a FULL BACK than a pushing forward wingback isn't he? Last time I saw him he was Widzew so may have quickened up.

Agree that EK not as good as the Championship.... I support Radomiak whove just made it to league 2 and I think they would struggle against Eastbourne Boro not in Poland now but watch highlights of Radomiak games on the net)!!

Cześć! U mnie wszystko w porządku, dzięki! :cheers:

A foreign supporter of Radomiak :) How the times have changed!

As for Lisowski, he plays as leftback for Korona now and is considered one
of the best (if not the best) left defenders in Ekstraklasa. He's good with
free kicks too, but you're right - he may not be Premiership calibre, and that's
where BHA is aiming at eventually.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
relegation beckons! How on earth have we not signed 8 players before pre season training begins, it's a disaster, disaster i tell you

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Granted we have Kucsczak and Saltor but I would have expected a couple more by now.

Is it just the case that the right players are not available or has Tony tightened the purse strings?

Are you still crapping yourself?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
All this thread deserves is a :facepalm:

This

Vicente is a luxury (nice to have) but the real critical positions like GK and LB Gus has gone about his business the right way and signed quality.

Probably another CM and Striker to follow SHORTLY.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here