Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Tesco's

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Build something, and if it's wrong or doesn't work then knock it down and build something else.

Oh dear.

So, say hypothetically YOU are financially backing the building of this site, and construction is completed. The council comittee concur that it's an eyesore and a detriment to the landscape, and demand it is pulled down immediately. You'd be fine with them telling you to knock it down, at millions and millions of pounds of pure loss?

:shootself:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
f*** the petiton. If they're going to demolish New England House they can build what they like, it can't be any worse. No doubt this will drag on and on and on and on for decades (like Jubilee Street and the Brighton Locomotive Works sites to name but two) whilst people find fault with every single plan put forward.

The law has GOT to be changed to presume in favor of development. Black Rock, King Alfred, West Pier, Falmer Stadium, the Marina; every single thing brings out the NIMBYS, NOTES, BANANAS, and Regency Society TOSSERS to hold back urban evolution and keep the city a decaying slum.

I know some of you will disagree - but f*** you, you're wrong.

+1..........

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
f*** the petiton. If they're going to demolish New England House they can build what they like, it can't be any worse. No doubt this will drag on and on and on and on for decades (like Jubilee Street and the Brighton Locomotive Works sites to name but two) whilst people find fault with every single plan put forward.

The law has GOT to be changed to presume in favor of development. Black Rock, King Alfred, West Pier, Falmer Stadium, the Marina; every single thing brings out the NIMBYS, NOTES, BANANAS, and Regency Society TOSSERS to hold back urban evolution and keep the city a decaying slum.

I know some of you will disagree - but f*** you, you're wrong.

Which is probably how New England House got built in the first place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I fail to see how New England House and the units surrounding it can be described as "historic frontages and structures". Times move on and the area is in desperate need of modernisation and regeneration.

A fair comment....but a f***ing huge Tesco isnt the answer. Regeneration often needs a flagship something or other, a catalyst for other businesses to feed off. Tescos tends to have the opposite effect.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
New England House is a carbuncle and it and the surrounding units were only built to fill in a void created by slum clearance and bombsites. Tesco will only get planning permission if they provide a sweetener like a polyclinic or social housing as part of the scheme.

D

Deleted User X18H

It will regenerate a particularly shitty area there is nothing there now the black chapatti has gone!!!!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It will regenerate a particularly shitty area there is nothing there now the black chapatti has gone!!!!

There is of course the multi-million pound New England Quarter and Sainsbury's development, and one of the largest and most ornate church's in Europe..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I struggle to see how a huge supermarket will help the area. Can you explain how a Tesco will regenerate New England?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I struggle to see how a huge supermarket will help the area. Can you explain how a Tesco will regenerate New England?
All the chavs and druggies will be able to shoplift from Tesco which will regenerate the area as they offload their nicked gear.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
All the chavs and druggies will be able to shoplift from Tesco which will regenerate the area as they offload their nicked gear.

Er and lead to higher crime rates which is the number one cause of low property prices.. I don't think you really thought that one through :cool:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Er and lead to higher crime rates which is the number one cause of low property prices.. I don't think you really thought that one through :cool:
Low property prices would suit me fine as this would help me move back to Brighton. :p

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Low property prices would suit me fine as this would help me move back to Brighton. :p

Grimsby Auditorium has the worst acoustics of any venue in the UK. It's a converted leisure centre with temporary seats. What a joke. And Grimsby smells of fish. I don't blame you for wanting to move back - but why would you want to live in an even NASTIER and even more DIRTY London Road??!

All for the sake of building ANOTHER Tesco :no:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
but why would you want to live in an even NASTIER and even more DIRTY London Road??!
I used to live in a flat in Chatham Place , 50 yards away from the 7 Dials so would be used to it :lolol:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ha, my parents live right by the tunnel on New England Road.. do you remember the old video star on Chatham Place? That was mint. Crap old games like Championship Manager 93 on the amiga for about £25 :D:D

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

So on this list of causes of low property prices, where do recession, bursting bubble, and lack of mortgage funds figure.

I don't think you really thought that one through

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hypocrits. We and everyone else all made supermarkets a success story because of a typical desire for cheap food of dubious quality and regardless of social cost. So don't moan now it's beyond anyone's power to control them. The markets no where near satuation point.

Bit like Leeds, Forest, Wednesday etc suddenly finding themselves outside of a restructured Premier league - you sold your soul to capitalism when it suited you most. Don't cry foul! when it comes back to haunt you. Unfortunately, no one ever learns this lesson - it's human instinct to want more (me included!)

Here are the proposals from the developers. I for one am not opposed to London Road being redeveloped around the area in question, hopefully it won't be worse than what the council did in the 50's and 60's.
However why the f*** do we need a Tesco as part of the redevelopment? Why not something like a John Lewis department store? There are Tesco's everywhere, let's have something different down London Road and not the same as every other town or city in the UK.

New London Road : Welcome to New London Road :

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here