Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Tesco's

Oct 25, 2003
if tesco's wanna build a store they tend to end up building it, and i bet most of the people objecting to it will end up shopping there INNIT

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Here are the proposals from the developers. I for one am not opposed to London Road being redeveloped around the area in question, hopefully it won't be worse than what the council did in the 50's and 60's.
However why the f*** do we need a Tesco as part of the redevelopment? Why not something like a John Lewis department store? There are Tesco's everywhere, let's have something different down London Road and not the same as every other town or city in the UK.

New London Road : Welcome to New London Road :

So looking at those plans London Road will become a bus route only.

Nowhere in those plans can i find what they propose to do with the northbound out of town traffic?

SHIT PLANS.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Tesco want to build a store there they will as they always win even if they have to build something else to win the council over as they did with Broadbridge Heath and Guildford. Why didnt they just buy the old Co OP site in London Rd.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From those plans, nothing changes, there's nothing in them to ease congestion, promote sustainable transport or encourage 'local' shopping or improving the area.

In fact, the only definite change - and it's not necessarily for the better - is the new Tesco.

ABSOLUTE CRAP.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
As the Co-Op now own Sommerfeild and do not sell the lines they previously did, eg furniture and the stereo system I am listening to at present, i suspect the food department will merge into one store. Thus, the Co-Op site will be empty once the Post Office will find it uneconomic to be there. TLO has the best of all worlds. Tesco buy the site, convert the ground floor and basement for shopping requirements and public housing in the other floors.

I cannot believe the site map povided by Southover Street Seagull, which has been commentated on previously. What is going to happen to the northbound traffic, especially on Sunday afternoon when the shows down the front, and bucket and spaders go home. We are after all a town that relies on tourism for the bulk of our money, and having restrictive arteries will just turn people away.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh dear.

So, say hypothetically YOU are financially backing the building of this site, and construction is completed. The council comittee concur that it's an eyesore and a detriment to the landscape, and demand it is pulled down immediately. You'd be fine with them telling you to knock it down, at millions and millions of pounds of pure loss?

:shootself:
Hypothetically - yes. It would be my fault for building something that wasn't wanted. Currently I think the only 60s/70s planning mistake that's been recitified was Churchill Square. The battle over the Brighton Centre and Kingswest complex (or whatever it's called now) hasn't started yet.

And as it's a recession the demolition/reconstruction work will be most welcome.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hypothetically - yes. It would be my fault for building something that wasn't wanted. Currently I think the only 60s/70s planning mistake that's been recitified was Churchill Square. The battle over the Brighton Centre and Kingswest complex (or whatever it's called now) hasn't started yet.

And as it's a recession the demolition/reconstruction work will be most welcome.

A flattening of the area wouldn't be wholly unwelcome, and having a green space would be quite pleasant, but NOT into what's proposed. There's no need to build something for the sake of building something.

That's not NIMBYism or BANANAism, that's practicalities.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A flattening of the area wouldn't be wholly unwelcome, and having a green space would be quite pleasant, but NOT into what's proposed. There's no need to build something for the sake of building something.

That's not NIMBYism or BANANAism, that's practicalities.

Spot on. The whole area will be over developed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hypocrits. We and everyone else all made supermarkets a success story because of a typical desire for cheap food of dubious quality and regardless of social cost. So don't moan now it's beyond anyone's power to control them. The markets no where near satuation point.

Bit like Leeds, Forest, Wednesday etc suddenly finding themselves outside of a restructured Premier league - you sold your soul to capitalism when it suited you most. Don't cry foul! when it comes back to haunt you. Unfortunately, no one ever learns this lesson - it's human instinct to want more (me included!)

Speak for yourself. I try and give my money to local people and producers if I can. I admit I'm not totally supermarket free but I use local producers, businesses and shops as much as I can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here