Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not again ... Henderson wants a transfer [merged threads]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Let's hope Kuipers signs his new contract in the summer.

To be honest we've had two 'first choice' keepers for too long anyway. If these kids are as good as everyone seems to think shouldn't one of them warm the bench. Martin and Sullivan have shown promise and should be trusted to be back up to the first choice keeper.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
chez said:
Cant blame him. I know I wouldnt want to play for Brighton with the disgraceful fans we have. He'll go on to become a world class keeper and the numbnuts that will have forced him out of Brighton will still insist that they were right.

And people wonder why we cant sign anyone!!

WAKE UP, ITS BECAUSE OF THE FANS.

Another Chez classic "World class keeper".

You won't even know where he is playing in five years time.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If we can get more than we paid for him I say sell. It worries me that in a year and a half he hasn't improved, I know he is young but the problems with his game are still there.

Rather keep kuipers as he still has a few years in him, will stick around and Martin and Sullivan are more likely to learn off him. If Hendo had a better attitude I would say keep him but it appears he hasn't

Withdean Wanderer said:
Because maybe his place in a crap League 1 side with the majority of 'supporters' against him is not a particularly attractive one?

What a load of crap!

I don't think the 'majority' of supporters are against him-I think many supporters have been concerned by some of his performances and errors that have cost us points. It's no coincidence that we've had 2 clean sheets in the League since he was RESTED.

He needs to show everybody that being dropped was a mistake by fighting to win his place back rather than acting like a spoiled child. In the same way Mayo has done countless times-when did Kerry ever put in a transfer request because he was dropped? Or Charlie Oatway (who is always getting stick from supporters-again, not all)? Oatway has received more stick from our supporters than any player I can remember (including John 'Shirley' Templeman) but he still had the balls and DESIRE to fight his way back into contention.

He clearly has no backbone.

It's also refreshing to see NSC's double standards haven't totally disappeared: a lot of people wringing their hands over the stick Henderson may or may not be receiving from sections of the crowd were some of the most vociferous against McGhee. Do they think their actions in helping demoralise the manager at EVERY game and at every opportunity are in any way different to what they claim Henderson is being subjected to? I'm just making comparisons, not trying to re-open the MM debate. Who knows what may have happened if MM wasn't abused by fans?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Large One said:
No, no-one is happy.

However, I find the reason - no, excuse - that it is the fans who have made him want to go utterly pathetic, and totally unprofessional. Blaming the fans is NEVER a way to endear yourself - irrespective of whether he's right or wrong.

If that was REALLY the case, why didn't he slap the transfer request in at the beginning of the month? It would have mattered not one jot that he was playing regularly - if he wanted to go, and couldn't bear the fans, he should have asked to go ages ago.

Look at the timing, it's all about because he was dropped. And he was dropped because he was seen to be a liability by the person who matters most - Dean Wilkins.

I think its more likely to be a build up of these factors rather than one kicking him into action. He's probably got his agent on his back too telling he can get a better club and get paid more.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Turkey said:
I think its more likely to be a build up of these factors rather than one kicking him into action. He's probably got his agent on his back too telling he can get a better club and get paid more.
His agent needs a kick up the backside then, telling him to slap in his transfer request - on January 30th.

Edit: Just thinking, if another club was genuinely interested in him, he wouldn't need to slap in a transfer request - the club in question would just make Brighton an offer.

Last edited:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Turkey said:

And there endeth the lesson. THE F'in AGENT!!!!!!

Kuipers in the the fans eyes will always be no 1 as he has been here for so long and rightly deserves his legend status. Unfortunately Hendo has not been here long enough or done anything to attain that status.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Off to Preston according to that ever reliable source, North Stand Polls!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
They've only got Lonergan and Nash who are better. Enjoy being third choice Hendo (if it's true of course). :wave:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
good luck to him, shame he had to put up with the Kuipers fan club. Can't really blame him for wanting out to be honest.

Who's next to endure the mighty albion fans bring them on, the fans will soon see they are forced out

chez said:
Fair enough, I have tried not to blame anyone directly for forcing him out as I dont know who has joined in. So sorry for that. I'm just flabaghasted that people can even think of putting Kuipers in goal when Henderson is available, to me it just doesnt make sense. Anyway I think, that after many debates over the past few months it is clear that nobody is going to change their stance. Thats fair enough, we all have our opinions, what rubs me up the wrong way is the abuse of Henderson. Its not needed and does nothing but harm to the club.

The question I ask was that did Henderson deserve to be dropped for the two mistakes he made against Millwall. I think he did deserve to be dropped. I have been pro Henderson for a sometime but after those two mistakes I thought Kuipers deserved a chance.
But we still don't know exactly why Henderson has put in the transfer request, if it was because he was dropped then he needs to sort himself out. If it is because he feels he doesn't belong here because of some fans getting onto him, then I can understand that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
For what it's worth, here's my view as an 'outsider'...

It seems to me that Henderson isn't being the most professional of footballers. Twice he's been dropped and twice he's handed in a transfer request. He doesn't seem to have very good timing either as for the second time he's handed it in at a time when he's got little chance of a decent move. Anyway, regardless of the poor timing it just creates the impression that he has no wish to actually fight for his place. Maybe he thinks he has a divine right to be first choice keeper and an international? I don't know. The argus report says he wants to move to protect his international career. If he's currently not good enough to earn a starting place in a league one side then he's not got much of an international career full stop. Putting in a transfer request and changing clubs isn't going to change that fact. Knuckling down, working hard in training, winning your club place back and putting in decent performances on the pitch will give him his best chance of maintaining an international career, IMHO. Football is a competitve business and the sooner he realises that nothing is guaranteed and nothing is given to you on a plate the better. For him and for us.

As for blaming the fans. I think that's being slightly disingenuous. I don't know how much stick he's been getting. Abusing our own players isn't really necessary, particularly what is alleged to have happened at bournemouth. However, in the 19 years that I've been following the Albion a number of players have, at times, received fearfull abuse. How about Dean Wilkins? He used to get loads of abuse. He never quit or threatened to. Infact, he's just as passionate-if not more so- about this club as anyone on here even after all the abuse he got. Sadly, it's a fact of footballing life that fans will occasionally turn on their own players. If it was a big problem for Henderson he would have handed in a transfer request earlier, wouldn't he? But, no, he's waited until he's been dropped and not immediately reinstated before asking to leave.

Finally, everyone here seems to acknowledge that it's a vocal minority that abuse him. So, we can assume, the majority support him or at least don't wish him ill. Shame on the vocal minority for abusing a young player. But, equally, shame on the SILENT MAJORITY. Why don't you drown out the abuse instead of waiting to come on here and moan about it? If you put half as much effort into supporting him at games as you do complaining on here then he'd know that the majority want him to succeed.

To quote the eloquent Withdean Wanderer. 'Supporters-pricks' Indeed.

No more posts needed on the subject as that was spot on!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Mission accomplished. We will make a profit from henderson which is why he was signed. He was never going to stay long in a 3 rd teir club he has international ambitions and we were a stepping stone. good bye and good luck wayne, you are good on your day but need to boss your box more to make the top grade

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The more I think about this, the less this 'I blame the fans' makes sense.

So here's a scenario, Henderson slaps in his transfer request, either in person, or via his agent or whatever. Dean immediately wants a meeting with Hendo and/or his advisors, and they tell him that it's because the fans are abusing him. Now what is Wendy to do?

It's a real head-scratcher, because, assuming that is the real reason, Wilkins can't really do anything about that - not directly. He might laugh at such a preposterous notion (not that fans are giving him grief, but that that is the reason for his request), or he would also tell him to grow a thicker skin.

Hendo wants, no - NEEDS - first-team football guaranteed or his international career is on the line. That may or may not be true, but that is not Wilkins' primary concern. True, he wants Henderson to progress in his career as best he can, but Wilkins' priority is for Brighton & Hove Albion as a whole, not just Henderson as an individual. Where the two concerns conflict, Wilkins has to make a choice. If Wilkins feels Kuipers should be playing in goal - irrespective of what anyone in the crowd thinks - that is his prerogative. Henderson will just have to deal with it. Clearly, this is his way of doing it.

Whatever, unless there is something far more sinister that we just don't know about, Henderson's behaviour does seem very strange on so many levels. I just don't buy this 'I blame the fans' stuff. What there has NOT been, however, is a concerted effort by Brighton fans to get him out of the club. That truly is bollocks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Henderson has had his nose put out of joint by losing the shirt to Kuipers and FDM making the most of the chance and keeping two consecutive clean sheets in the league. And with a couple of up-coming games against struggling opposition, that run could easily extend further. For the time being he'll just have to live it. However, if brentford stick four past us like they usually do, then everything will change. Bit more grace under pressure called for there Wayne. The shirt will come round again, and maybe much sooner than you think.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here