Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a Single Brighton Player Submitted A Transfer Request

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yeah Hypothetically...

Yeah they cant go till July, but if they have been offered another contract somewhere else will the be that bothered with Brighton?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In any walk of life you should be talking to people you want to keep well in advance of their contracts expiring if you don't want them to start losing interest and looking elsewhere.

To expect players to give their all while they are left to sweat on their future seems naive in the extreme to me.

Of course they should try their hardest but I can see why they wouldn't.

It marks them down with any potential new employer as someone who doesn't give their all. Who wants that in a new player?

A player is generally (not always) given a new or extended contract because there is someone else sniffing around after them, and the original club wants to ensure that they keep them - or at least try to put off the interested club as much as possible.

Above and beyond that, it's the mad player melting-pot at the end of the season for everyone about seven weeks before their contracts end.

Besides it could well be that the manager genuinely hasn't made his mind up about certain players. So why does he need to be forced into a decision NOW?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Since the ITV digital collapse there has been a major shift in power from the players to the clubs. Clubs now wait untill the end of the season to discuss new deals with those they wish to keep Brighton are doing nothing unusual. In Forsters case maybe another club would have renegotiated a contract however there are quite a few that would not have done. So many pros become free agents in the summer period that you really can take your pick from all ages and positions from all levels. Championship sides release good players evrey season as they are not good enough for a Premiership push but still well up to the job in league 1. Exciting players dont always renew their contracts in hope of a better offer elsewhere. etc etc thats football thesedays folks Forster should have expected this and is a fool to have thought otherwise. I would however like to point out that i still hope the Brighton/Forster relationship heals and he continues playing for us because he is still excellent.

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
I dunno, but I'd love to find out. Amongst all the hot air and hysterical over-reaction on here over the last few days no one explained how in hell Forster COULD go on the transfer list. The window's shut and his contract expires in the summer thus allowing him to move on anyway - Forster could no more be transferred than he could be canonised.

there is a thing called going out on loan and if he did well which of course he will be deservedly handed a contract by another club for next year
while we see if we can get a cheaper non league replacement to play in div 2 for us

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what are the 100% true verifiable facts of Forstergate ?

1 He wasn't in the squad on Saturday.
2 Brown issues a statement saying no ones put in a transfer request.
3 NSC has got its knickers in a twist and is happy to make up its mind based on conjecture , rumour and an Argus story based on the same.

4 Forster has been quoted as saying he has received no contract offer and is taking it as mutual agreement at being placed on the transfer list
5 Forster hasn't denied the statement is his even though it has caused this massive furore

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why wouldn't he be? It depends what Brighton offer.

The way I read KG's post is this...

Forster, due to no offer from brighton negotiates elsewhere. He signs for, say, gillingham.

In the final game of the season, a brighton win sends gillingham down. A draw or loss leads to gillingham staying up.

Would he be motivated to go out and win the game for brighton and doom the gills to relegation just before he joins them, or will he want to help out the team he's about to join?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
In any walk of life you should be talking to people you want to keep well in advance of their contracts expiring

...and apparently they're not doing that with Forster and Forster is reading into that exactly what I'd read into it. But did he think his career would last forever? This was always going to happen at some point (and I'm not arguing whether now should be that time) and he doesn't seem to be handling it very well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where was he quoted ? (genuine question)
This massive furore is taking place in the limited confines of NSC

The argus.

The furore extends to the argus and the local news agencies, which means it includes a larger portion of the bha fan base than just nsc.

Because the local media are asking questions, it is also affecting the playing team, as much as they try to downplay it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Forster, due to no offer from brighton negotiates elsewhere. He signs for, say, gillingham.

In the final game of the season, a brighton win sends gillingham down. A draw or loss leads to gillingham staying up.

Would he be motivated to go out and win the game for brighton and doom the gills to relegation just before he joins them, or will he want to help out the team he's about to join?

I would think that a man like Poyet would consider that scenario and pick his team accordingly. What would be worse would be for him to play for us for the remaining fixtures knowing he is going to Gillingham and not try to help us win so thus give them the chance to climb above us. I would think that this would also be sussed so the best for all would be a loan to a club like Brentford with aspirations of reaching the play offs and him with aspirations of impressing enough to gain a contract.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
either during or after the January Transfer Window period, according to Ken Brown today.

"The club has not received a transfer request from any single player - and at this stage in the season we do not anticipate receiving one. However, any player wishing to do so should submit such a request in writing to the manager of the club"

Interesting...
which is correct,it was leaked by someone nicky knew ,who then done a stupid thing in informing the sky team,all the out of contract players were spoken to as a group,not one by one,and explained what was going to happen

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Then he'd be a dumb-arse for (a) signing with a relegation-threatened club before (b) Brighton had made an offer which they could have bettered.

And if he was that de-motivated, he wouldn't be picked for Brighton in the first place.

Just because he has received no offer from Brighton yet doesn't necesarily follow he won't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't it help to sort out contracts, that way bringing home what relegation will cost the players? Sign on now with the stipulation that if we stay up, next year you get, say 2k a week, if we go down, next year you get £500 a week.

If they think "I'm signed to this club, if it goes down, I have to take a pay cut!" won't they be more inclined to give more than if they're thinking "I'm not tied to this club, if they go down, I could get a better paying gig at some other league one team"?

I know, in an ideal world the players would be professional and give 100% every time out, play each game as if it's the world cup final, leave it all out on the pitch. But we don't live in an ideal world, and the players are human.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If it was Bobby Zamora instead of Forster do you think the club would have let it go this long ? If he got edgy about his contract being up in june then the club should have spoken with him and if they haven`t then they are part to blame for this.
If they have offered him a year and he wants 2 (unlikely) then thats a different matter.
Of course the club could issue a statement saying what has happened and put all this speculation and unrest to bed but that would be too easy wouldn`t it ?
They wouldn`t have to apportion blame in their statement, just explain things a little.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Most clubs dont let key players run down contracts, unless your spurs :down:

Or Brighton.

I can see exactly where Nicky Forster's coming from on this one. Currently I am working on a fixed-term contract and there is a chance it will not be renewed, as the company I work for want to cut costs and all of that. Naturally I am concerned about my future and am having a look at what other work might be available to me if I am let go. The same is happening to Nicky Forster - and if the club wants to stop it they need to sort out the futures of important players (who at this level are not on crazy money and still probably have mortgages and the like) before June or July. It's amateurish and reliant on far too much goodwill at the moment, which in modern football is naive in the extreme.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Of course the club could issue a statement saying what has happened and put all this speculation and unrest to bed but that would be too easy wouldn`t it ?
They wouldn`t have to apportion blame in their statement, just explain things a little.

Contact negotiations must remain confidential between the club and a player. By issuing a clarification, the club will be breaking that confidentiality.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Contact negotiations must remain confidential between the club and a player. By issuing a clarification, the club will be breaking that confidentiality.

The fans dont need to now the ins and outs of a contract but just that negotiations and talks are ongoing and heading towards some sort of detente.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
there is a thing called going out on loan and if he did well which of course he will be deservedly handed a contract by another club for next year
while we see if we can get a cheaper non league replacement to play in div 2 for us
Going on loan is NOT the same as being transferred. Whilst I don't expect everyone on NSC to know the difference between the two (although it's not rocket science) I do expect the people involved such as Forster and his agent (or whoever issued that statement on his behalf) to know. So why are they being so ignorant? Or were they trying to 'dumb it down' and put it in a language they thought the fans could understand?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here