Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Not a proper team"

Lush

Mods' Pet
In his Seagulls World interview, Gus says that we are not playing like a proper team, but a group of individuals on the pitch (unlike Swindon who are a proper team which is why they win games). Do you agree?

Gus also says that if we were a proper team then if someone makes a mistake we wouldn't get punished because the players would help each other.

Your thoughts?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Yep agree with Gus we are playing as a team in the proper sense and we do need a proper captain/leader out on the pitch to gee the guys along, Crofts is a great fighter but not quite a Cullip or Oatway,today was lack lustre after the last few home games and that kind of performance won't fill Falmer only a couple more to get it right - we definitely need a quality finisher who can get 20-30 goals next season to get anywhere near promotion.

As an attacking tactic, with the current squad, it seemed to me today that "Get the ball to Hendrie and he'll show you what team work is all about" is worth thinking about.

Once he's got off the bench, obviously.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Too many of the team think once Lua Lua and Bennett get the ball you just leave them to do the rest, really felt for these two, they were left with no option but to burden the responsibility to press on.

Bennett put in one of those performances that has to put him in high contention for player of the season!

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
Didn't go today, but a "proper team" would work together to slow the game down by keeping possession when the oppo get frisky. Against Southampton we played some great attacking football but when they upped their game and ran at us, we kept giving the ball back to them with over-ambitious passes or panicky hoofs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
a "proper team" would work together to slow the game down by keeping possession when the oppo get frisky.

This what we have done in recent games but today 2 people around me in the north stand kept shouting as usual, get into em and another shouting get a cross in everytime we had the ball. Unfortunately most of our fans have been brought up on kick and rush physical football and do not appreciate controlled precise passing.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
half our players out on loan.

half the 11 that play are in on loan.

how do we expect to play like a team?

players only seem to care about contracts and money.

lets see what the new season brings, until contracts and squad is sorted we wont play like a team - fact.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As an attacking tactic, with the current squad, it seemed to me today that "Get the ball to Hendrie and he'll show you what team work is all about" is worth thinking about.

Once he's got off the bench, obviously.

Thought Hendrie set up our goal with a magnificent dummy to then cross.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I agree we haven't been playing like a proper team but I also think our formation today gives us problems against teams who come looking to put 11 men behind the ball and have the occasional break forward.
Match stats said 24 shots vs 4 shots. I think having another striker to play the ball to may have been more beneficial than the 3 central midfielders who between them didn't have a huge amount to do

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder how much the idea that contracts might be discussed this week played into people playing for themselves?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Nothing seems to have changed in the last week - I still think 4-5-1 is a formation that can be thwarted if the front men are not lethal and if the wide men are not on top of their game. Of course these can be addressed but perhaps we need to be more flexible at home?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It is often said that Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who love them or hate them are both TOP managers, adopt a siege mentality within their squads, making it seem as if everyone else is against them. This creates unity, they win trophies. If Gus has a similar idea then I certainly won't argue. I think we will probably see a fairly sizeable clear out in the summer as Gus clearly wants a unified, neat, trim team rather than mercenaries who couldn't care less as long as they're paid. I think it's worth noting that whilst never the most eye catching player on display during his playing days Poyet was a very consistent and hard working player. I know Chelsea fans who still hold him in very high regard and I think he wants a squad like that, full of players who are going to lay themselves on the line for the team, no passengers. He has already criticised the loan system, quite rightly in my opinion, and I think this shows he wants a true die for your club team rather than a collection of ambitious individuals.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be 'a proper team' you need to build a solid core side and then fine-tune it. Last season was absurd with the number of players used. This season has been better in that respect but every time the manager gets chopped, wholesale chopping and changing of players follows. Would like to see Gus start to strip away the loan players as soon as 50 points is reached, or maybe even now, and fully focus on who he will be using next season. Then he'll see what he needs to go out and buy over the Summer.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bennett put in one of those performances that has to put him in high contention for player of the season!

I thought it was his worst game for us.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Completely agree with Gus. Too many of our players go missing for lengthy periods during the game.

Indeed. It looked like a fair number had their minds on those classy Magaluf beaches, quite honestly. It's about time they realised there's still a job to do & their footballing futures might well be at stake. And then there's the small matter of making L1 survival mathmatically assured... :glare:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its worth paying the subscription on Seagulls Player for Gus's interviews alone. He speaks a lot of sense, its obvious that he thinks deeply about the game and has a very clear philosophy of how he wants his team to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here